Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
United Airlines
81 Posts
Its 5 dollars a drink on board UA. Headphones are free (its about the only thing). As I prevoiusly reported I was not happy with United. They just seem to lack something for a scheduled operator across the pond, although I know many US Carriers are not exactly customer focused. I certainly will be looking at alternatives next time i go. Oh I thought TED were ok really. They are a low cost carrier and you know what you are getting with them (their Airbus 320's are not that old are they?)....in fact we had more leg room on TED than what we did on the 777 from UK!!

Nivsy
We have flown with UA from Heathrow to JFK and i can honestly say that in my opinion they were alot better than BA,even though the flight was full the crew were all polite and friendly and nothing was to much bother.We have flown BA a few times and although they were not terrible on short haul the long haul crew are quite sour and just wanted to get everything done as soon as possible so they could sit and chat.
Yeah i guess it is all at the end of the day down to experience(s) we all have had. I for one never really like to sing the praises of BA...and agree that their service can be a little shoddy on long haul. However after saying that United were just as abad if not worse in both directions. The crew out bound were UK based (British) and on the return from Sate Side. Their number one concern was also not the passenger but the opportunity to sit at the back and do the crossword and read the papers!

Nivsy
i believe it is a 767 that we are flying to washington on has anyone travelled on a 767 recently whats the entertainment like is it movies on demand with plenty to choose from, we were on a KLM 777 recently and the entertainment was great
I have looked at the web site and i cannot find any info on the pitch space in economy......? I also dont understand how to upgrade to premium, i have rang them up, but i cannot understand the lingo. I assumed they would speak American, but the lady i spoke to was certainly not.

Have any of you been on UA and are they any good?

TIA

Michelle x

EDIT: Merged with existing 3 page thread, which may provide some useful feedback
David HT Mod
Only 31" Check out http://www.airlinequality.com for reviews on United
http://www.seatguru.com is another good site for checking seat pitch.

We flew to Las Vegas with United and they were fine. Seat back TV's and I think they came round with soft drinks, tea and coffee quite frequently. TED is their low cost arm used for internal flights.

luci :wave
The best airline we have flown with,cheers Mark
Thank you for the positive responses. I have always flown by BA or Virgin to the USA, so going with United is new to us. Thanks.
I am in need of help.

I have tried to telephone United Airlines to see about upgrading my seats from Economy to Premium economy. They keep telling me my seats have to located in section 3?? to upgrade. I have no idea what they are talking about, and cannot understand their accent.

I am not flying until June, but wanted to upgrade as a surprise for my family.

It is alleged we are flying out on a bowing 744 and return 777.

Thank you.

Michelle.
Derwentrocker the premium economy section of the aircraft was only available to mileage plus passengers and was allocated at checkin.

I believe this has all changed though. see here and here

Its a bit confusing how you can get it now, i flew it back in 2001 and it was a good service. Only legroom was diff cabin service etc was same as economy.
Thank you, it seems i should wait until checkin, i am hopefully staying in a London Heathrow airport the night before, so hopefully that will give me good time to get to the airport early.

Michelle.
Can anyone tell me what kind of airline they are?

We are in the process of booking a multi stay west coast holiday and have a choice of either Virgin or United.

We have flown Virgin before and thought it was great but if we fly with United the same holiday is £300 less - what do you think?

Thanks

Joolz :wink:
We are flying to San Diego with United Airlines in April, we have to change planes in Chicago on the way there and in San Francisco on the way back, we only have 90 mins lay over between flights, do we have to collect our luggage and recheck in and go through security again or do we just head to the departure gates. We also have to change terminals for each flight.

What happens if the plane from LHR is delayed.

All tickets were booked direct through the United Airlines website, so they must think it is possible. We have already chosen our seats for all four flights, just wondering about security, and what do we put on the visa form, our address in San Diego even though we are landing first in Chigaco.

Any help would be appreciated, as we have never done a DIY holiday before and I don't want to get it wrong before we even get there.

Thanks
We have done Phoenix to London via Chicago with United and our luggage was checked right through. If one leg is delayed they should get you on the next flight.
I think there was a metro type train that took us between terminals in Chicago.
I would put the San Diego address on your form.
huskypup,

As Bridd says, if you are travelling with United on both flights (or codeshare parnters), then you'll be checked straight through. You'll receive all your boarding cards when you check-in. Your bags will be taken care of so you'll just need to transfer to the next flight (go straight to the boarding gate).

Darren
Your luggage won't be checked straight through as you have to collect it to go through customs at Chicago, but they will tell you where to put it for the onward flight and it's nearby. You don't need to check in again as you will have received your boarding card for both legs at LHR.

However bear in mind that you will clear immigration and customs at Chicago which can take anything from 30 mins to 1h 30 mins depending how near the front of the plane you are.

Yes you should put the San Diego address on your VW form and remember the zip code.

90 mins is really quite tight to make the connection, especially if your outward flight is delayed at all. However if you don't make it they will book you on the next available flight to San Diego.

Your luggage will be checked straight through on the return leg.

luci :wave
The major financial publications are reporting that shares in United have gone to an all time low and trading has ceased with rumours of bankrupcy announcement :que

This year and next is just not looking good for airlines. Mind you its nothing new in airlines seeking Chapter 11 in USA however the share drop is quite alarming.

Nivsy
Has anyone been on United Boeing 767 out of Heathrow to Washington recently? Looking at the B767 outbound and to be honest I am not even sure of the In flight Entertainment (screens on seats or overhead?) on these machines. eturn will be by B777 which i know about. I suppose its around 6 dollars a beer these days!!

Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.