Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Yes you can book in advance, but I don't know how reliable some of these sites are so I won't link direct to any.

If you Google "Vatican museums" you will find plenty results.

luci :wave
There is always a long queue at the vatican . :( W e went in october and the queue was about 2 hours . the worst thing of all is that queue also goes around the whole of the vatican museum and you shuffle along looking at everyones backs. My feet have never ever throbbed so much in all my life .Im sure we were given a figure of around an average of 40,000 people a day visit the vatican so that will give you an idea of what to expect.

We booked a tour and the tour guides hold the queue while you sit in a cafe/resturant near the entrance and wait . we were told by the guide that this is the ONLY way but im not convinced and were told that there did appear others that were going straight in. whether or not these companies that you can book in advance with do the same or not you will have to investigate carefully . no queueing could mean the same . you sit in a bar and wait .

Im sure somebody else will fill you in on this one .Im sure it was a monday that we went and Im pretty sure that any day you go it closes around 3pm so around 12.30 is the latest you can get in. this is the time favoured by the tour guides and the time we went . The queue is supposed to be the shortest at that time of day so Id hate to see it at 9am.

lyn
When we went 3 years ago I'm pretty sure that it was closed on Tuesdays but according to the link below it seems not anymore. Just 3 Sundays per month + Saint days.

There is a long walk from the front of St Peters around the corner to the Sistine Chapel. There may be a quicker route but I never found it.

Be warned that once you get into the Chapel there is no speaking loudly and 'NO FOTO!!'. Seating is around the walls and if you manage to sit down, stay there.

http://www.rome-museum.com/vatican.html#1
thanks for your info so far, looks like i need a good pair of walking shoes and plenty of patience :)
Oh you will definately need both of those Adyday :rofl
but at least it does look like you can pre-book if you do it direct with the vatican . If I had realised how busy it was going to be I would of done the same .
Hi thanks for the replies

we ended up visiting early July. whilst there was quite a queue (we got there early) we had a fantastic visit. I must admit that I enjoyed walking round inside St Peters most of all. The size and splendour is not got over looking through books etc you have to visit.

We stayed at i pini in a mobile just north of Rome. Nice and relaxing after a day on the feet. Good food too

Adrian
been there a few times now with various people as go to rome most years.
I think its fair to say that i NEVER need to go to the vatican again :D The line to get in can be quite long but i have always found that it moves quite quickly. Obviously if you are going in peak tourist season (may to july or sept to nov) it will be very busy. so be prepared to wait. Last time i went was 2007 and i think it was around 12.00 euro entry.
It is a bit of a walk from the museum to st peters and also watch your bags and pockets as this is prime pickpocket territory.
Please remember that the vatican has a very strict dress code you must wair trousers or a long skirt and cover shoulders. this is especially true when you visit st peters its self they simply will turn you away, you wont get away with and you wont sneek in :D they have special guards who check everyone.
Also i would recomend staying as far away as possible from any restaurant, bar etc in this area as nearly all a rip off tourist traps which prey on visitors who dont realise until they get a bill for 40 euro for a couple of coffees and an ice cream (my sister and boyfriend did this :duh) not good.
I would recomend going up to the top of the dome as well even though it will mean a queue again as the views are breath taking.
I would say to ring before you go as the vatican does seem to close on random days for various holidays etc.

Hope this helps ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.