Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
what I should expect etc

Nudism, big beaches, some good fish restaurants close by in Garrucha and a relaxing and enjoyable holiday I hope, John.
Oh great not good for kids then? :shock:
It will open their eyes to a bit of naturism,unless its cold of course :lol:

John.
Kirkie

I know Vera well. There is Vera town and Vera Playa or Beach. They are a car journey apart.

Vera:- Typical Spanish town inhabited mainly by Spanish with a few expats with its church a couple of hundred years old. It is a working town 12 months of the year and has some quaint restaurants and some beautiful walks. There is a serious market in Vera every week (Saturday I think). It is a nice location for a holiday. The Spanish Prime Minister purchased a villa there last year and Vera is earmarket to become a substantial city in the future.

Vera Playa:- Built up beach with nudist section. Houses everywhere with shutters down most of the year owned (nearly 100%) by UK people. It has its share of Brit type bars and restaurants. There is Vera Aquapark which is worth a visit by anybody under 19.

Garrucha is near (another car journey) and is a fishing port but is also a working town all year round. It has some good fish restaurants and Spanish restaurants. It has its market every week also. It has a beautiful promenade with free kiddies play areas.

Mojacar Pueblo and Mojacar Playa are fairly near Garrucha (5 minutes by car) and each is well worth a visit. The Pueblo is a typical hilltop Spanish village with white houses that appear to be on top of each other and look like they are going to slide immediately down the hill. The streets are narrow and bedecked with flowers giving a magnificent appearance. Mojacar Playa is occupied mainly by expats but it has some magnificent restaurants and bars.
I think you might be better off booking a holiday on Mojacar Playa.

Carboneras is another Spanish town further along the coast and is populated mainly by Spanish people but the Brit population is rising by the week. It has some nice restaurants and walks also. Unfortunately, the seaside factory is a blot on its landscape. However there are some beautiful walks and drive in Carboneras.
Thanks for the reply. It is definitely not the Nudist bit we are off to as I have contacted them...
Vera Beach club is NOT in the nudist area. It is Pueblo Laguna, Vera Playa and is suitable for kids. There are a couple of nice bars/restaurants within a minutes walk also 2 supermarkets and a lovely beach ( not nudist ). Hope this helps! :wink:
I am going in less than 3 weeks now so hoping the weather will be better than here...Has anyone been recently?
We have just bought a house on Vera Playa on the Fuentemar Urbanisation which 5 minutes walk to the beach and the promenade walk to Garrucha. We love the area as there is something for everyone but its not touristy or "spanglish". We have stumbled across the nudist beach and its not somewhere I want to go again. Lots of Spanish resorts have them now but theyre not for me. Anyway, I was just going to say that the area is superb, 17km of blue flag beaches and it can be as quiet or as busy as you want it to be. You must visit Mojacar Pueblo, the village is amazing and the views are stunning. Great tapas bars up there too and the locals are really friendly. We were there in November and the temperature was 25/26 every day and sunny. We were also there in March and again temps were around the same. Its chilly in the mornings and the evenings in November but it is the hottest, sunniest and driest part of Spain. I am over again in May myself and am looking forward to some good food, good wine and fab weather. Have a great time, I'm sure you'll love it. :sun
Thanks for that. We are certainly looking forward to it now....
Kirkie805 - Leave a post about your holiday when you get back wont you? I dont know many people in the UK that know the area so it would be good to know what you think! Enjoy yourselves or as the Spanish say Feliz vacaciones! ;)
I stayed at the Vera Beach Club with my wife and 2 children aged 3 and 9. On arrival we were quiet pleasantly surprised as the check in was very fast and efficient. Our apartment was right next to the reception, above the Leisure Centre and opposite the restaurant so to be honest we were happy.

We were very happy with our apartment as it was just what we wanted and included two air conditioning units that were fantastic, a washing machine, TV that had BBC channels and all the other home from home things such as a coffee machine, kettle and utensils. We even had a bottle of water, milk, dish cloths, washing up liquid and mosquito spray provided just to get you up and ready.

The grounds are very nice and kept clean. There are 2 pools, but the bigger of the two was shut due to it not being peak season. The other pool was located next to the pool bar which is very expensive so I recommend that you buy your cans of beer/ coke etc from the supermarket. The pool was clean and there were plenty of sun beds to go around as one thing that is strictly forbidden is the reservation of beds with your towel. There was a lifeguard present at all times.

We stayed on a half board basis so had to use the restaurant. Breakfast was the usual of croissants, bread, cheese, ham etc, but you had to pay extra if you wanted bacon & eggs. The evening meal was nothing fantastic and to be honest we complained one night as there was not a vegetarian option, it was only then that we were told that we could choose from the menu anything as we had €15.50 to spend per person, but that didn't get you much.

There were a lot of elderly people at the resort and not many children. There wasn't anything for the kids to do other than every now and again someone from the Baloo Club would play bowls with them. We had 1 rainy day so thought that we would try the leisure centre, but be warned as you have to pay €17 a week per apartment and you have to wear a swim cap...

It was like a ghost town when we were there so not many bars open. We visited Rolly's Too which is a few minutes walk away and is highly recommended. We never ate there, but saw the portions and quality which looked great, We had a few drinks here and it was all free pour, which you could get 2 doubles out of 1 drink.

We visited the Aqua park which is a 5 minute bus ride and this was fantastic. It cost €44 for a family ticket and we stayed all day, so is a must to be honest.

In summing up I would say that the apartment was great, but not good if you have children or looking for somewhere to party. This is definitely a place for the retired who just want to do nothing other than take things easy....
hi Kirkie
Admin have just added this hotel to our reviews. Do you think you could copy and paste your very detailed review to here please as it will be useful for others to read and easy to find :)
No problem. I have done that for you now... :cheers
:tup ( by the way, the review won't show until admin have checked it so don't panic that you can't see it)
Hi Kirkee805
Glad to hear you had a good holiday. I know what you mean about the restaurant though. We arrived very late one evening and it was early March and no where was open. We ended up in there on the buffet menu - granted it was about 10pm and most people had eaten and gone but the food was appalling. We begrudgingly paid up - about 30Euros I think and left. Did you try the Laguna Pueblo restaurant or the Italian just around the corner? Theyre really nice places to eat and the service is very good too. I wouldnt say ithe area is for the retired, its just not a "Benidorm" type area. Mojacar is much livlier in the evenings and so is Garrucha but with young children, I can see you would want more going on. The weather hasnt been brilliant for the area as they have had quite alog of much needed rain in May. Going back in a couple of weeks so hopefully the rain will have gone away and it will be much busier! Overall, though it sounds as though you had a good holiday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.