Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Re: wasps???
45 Posts
hi joe

we were in elounda, last year and the year before and going again this sept, only a couple of wasps, none of the GIANT 747 sized ones!! i used the jungle formula wasp away, and the boots suntan lotion with insect repellant and they kept their distance, i havent found them a problem at all (touch wood!)
:cheers
Jane,
Did you go in September?
Joe
yep, first 2 weeks of september each time
Jane,

Was Elounda nice? Where did you stay? Also, have you heard about the wasp situation from anyone about other Crete resorts during September?

Joe
we stayed at manos apartments, really good, elounda is very nice, not too busy, lots of restaurants and a nice square, with regards to the wasps, not heard anything at all

J
Come on Jane, be honest!

Wasps the Buzz?

:que :que
WAAAAASSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPSSSSSSSS ! :yikes

Was looking forward to my first visit to Crete before our cruise on the OV2. We are staying at the Annabelle Village in
Hersonissos ------------ do I need to take a gun with me ???? :really

Hate the things ----- almost as bad as time share touts in Paphos Harbour (but I can't shoot them !) :rofl

Seriously, are they a problem so that I can go prepared with anti wasp creams, sprays, lotions, anti bite creams, sprays, lotions etc etc

:que
presto,

they are not a problem as such, i will run a mile if i see one, what anti wasp stuff do you use, and even more important .... does it work???

:think
My anti wasp stuff is a very large rolled up newspaper attached to hubby's arm and me running round like a loonie screaming
"WASP! KILL IT!" :rofl Dunno if it works but we keep everyone else entertained and it keeps my better half fit !

Seriously, I've used Mosquito Milk a lot on holiday in Cyprus and that seems to work all day for me and keeps anything 'flying' away!

:cheers
The excellent post from Skyllis on the Greece page a while back covers most of the nasties, including wasps and hornets. I thought the combination of honey and mothers in law showed imagination.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=103595
:rofl :rofl :rofl

Thanks for that post - as its only hubby and I going it looks like it'll be him smothered in honey with a rolled up newspaper !
Best of both worlds then!

;)
I'm seriously reconsidering going to Crete now. Does anyone know if the wasp problem is bad in Rhodes?
When are you thinkign of going? We are going next week so will be able to let you know re Crete when we get back. As I am a felloe wasp hater I'll be able to sympathise a bit with you !

Hubby doesn't care really - just ignores them!!

:que
joe

dont even think about not going, the wasps in uk are much worse that in elounda, its just that i am such a twit and run around flappin, i wish i didnt, i think i must has seen 4 maybe 4 in the 2 week period last year and only 2 the year before. i only put this thread on before i went so i could find out what to expect. we go in september time and they are not a problem, if they dont bother me (the biggest scaredy going) i am sure that they wont bother you
:sun2

jane
Thanks Jane,

I bet I'd give you a run for your money on the biggest scaredy cat thing though.
I'm back to thinking Stalis is a good idea now.

Would love someone to just say Stalis is fine in September though! lol
try spraying on some "wasp Away" jungle formula
i think it keeps them away but i dont hang about long enough to find out !!!!!! hahahaaa
The wasps we saw were there in August. Stalis is fine in September, in fact it's fine at any time!
:tup :tup
We've just booked to Elounda! Leave on September 1sy for two weeks. Now just the praying that the wasps aren't going to be a problem!

Jane, thanks for your advice - it's always good to hear from someone who is scared of wasps to report because other people just don't seem to understand haha.

We're staying in the Kavos Bay Apartments - do you know what they are like? Look good on reviews etc.

Joe
we go on 4th september staying at manos apts

if i see you doing a dance in the middle of the road i will know its you !! :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.