Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
wasps???
45 Posts
dont know about elounda but when we went to kavos last sept-oct there were quite a lot of wasps. one of the reps and the locals told us to cut an empty bottle of water in half fill an inch or two of the bottom half up with sugar water solution we used diluted orange as well then put the top half inside so the open lid is about and inch above the liquid. we must have killed over a hundred wasps as we all put them on the walls surrounding our apartments. we only did this after two of us were stung and it did work.
hey that sounds a good idea, thanks

jane
Have a look at Skyllis' excellent post on assorted creatures and protection:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=103595
we have been to crete twice and hardly saw a wasp all holiday,i have heard corfu get them a lot
thanks riversider, you have just made my day!!! :D
:(
oops, i went to crete in june and there were LOADS!!!
im not allergic, just scared lol so i spent most of my days jumping out of my sunlounger!

sorry to be the bearer of bad news
:)
Leah x
OH NO!!!!!!! :yikes
what part of crete did you go to???????????
i went to malia.

there were alot of them so make sure u take some antihystamines or something.
they were mainly hornets i think, as they were bigger than our UK waspies.
:?

L x
hi jane, my sister has just returned from stalis in crete she was there for 4 and a half weeks she said she didnt see any wasps and didnt get bitten or see any mozzies either. my auntie has just come back from a week in bali also in crete and she saw none either.

lindsay
thanks lordy!!

i shall just have to get hubby to stay on "wasp watch" !!! :lol:

i only have 8 days to go then i will find out!!!!

thanks again

Jane
We stopped in Stalis in July never saw one wasp.
Just to add to the cheer, we went to Hersonissos last July and my son (36) was near the pool when he saw a swarm of them coming in his direction. He jumped in the pool and went under the water to avoid them. He wasn't too bothered about the ice creams he was carrying as we were all inclusive.

YES, they are around, but don't let them bug you.
:yikes i have just passed out at the thought!!!!!
dont let it worry you jane ,as i said we have been twice,this year we went to stalis and there were none,i hate the bloody things so i wouldn't lie to you. :shock: -is this you on wasp watch lol
England 7 Crete Nil - yeah there are loads, but they don't want to be bothered by you. Try not to drip sweet thins on yourself (so no natural honey rubs in the evening after a few drinks) and avoid leaving things around that will attract them

You will see them, and the occaisional beetle, snake and lizard - but chill - you'll probably be fine.

Take something with you in case, but I doubt you'll need it. Keep your room as cool as possible and don't leave food out and doors open. Close windows and shutters and use the air con if you can and creepy crawlies, mossies and wasps will go to richer pickings.

I admit, the fact that they are as big as Sparrows is a trifle off putting - I reckon their tallons would hurt as much as the sting. He, he , he,

You will be fine.

Baloo the bear. :twisted:
hi baloo, the snakes/lizards dont bother me, in india they have flying dung beetles bigger than the 747 we flew over in!!! but just dont let a wasp near me..... i shall find out this weekend!!! thanks everyone for their help and advice :lol:
well have a lovely holiday jane

lindsay
thanks i certainly will, the last few days before i go are dragging though!!!!
Have a lovely time jane, but watch out for the islands goats!

If one them wasps drops one from any height, it bloody hurts!

Enjoy, don't worry, Kriti is great.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.