Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
June can be very hot!We went in June 2007 and there was a heatwave and the day we left,June 21st it was 49c. :yikes
I think this was an exception but I am going in May this year.
I am sure someone who has small children will answer your questions regarding them.One things is for sure you will love Turkey and will want to return. :sun2
Hi Bensino,

Welcome to the forum :wave:

June will be hot but is not usually unbearably so. I used to live in Turkey, near Bodrum and I first took my daughter out there in June when she was 8 weeks old and she was fine. It wont be any differernt to taking your baby to Spain.

Turkish food is lovely,my children are 4 and 2 and they eat all kinds of things. For your youngest you can always ask them to make something up for him if you can't find something on the menu, I often used to do that, maybe some scrambled eggs, omlette, rice, potatoes, vegetables, soup, anything you can think of really.

You can buy baby cereals and baby biscuits, which you mix with milk from the supermarkets but there isn't much in the way of jarred food, I never gave either of my two jars there as they didn't taste nice. You will also find nappies, wipes, baby toilettires etc. in the supermarkets too. I would advise a trip to one of the bigger supermarkets as the smaller ones are quite pricey. Do bring your children's sun cream with you though as you can't always get it over there and if you do find any it will be expensive.

As Jay says, I'm sure you will love Turkey. Turkish people are so friendly and they love children so your little ones will get lots of attention.

If you want to know anything else please feel free to ask. I don't know your hotel but I sometimes took my daughter to the beach at Ortakent and it is very nice there.

Kedi
We have reviews below for this hotel. I have always found that Children acclimatise better than adults on my visits to Turkey.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/turkey/bodrum-region/ortakent/lighthouse-hotel/
We took our granddaughter to Turkey for the first time when she was 10 weeks old and she is going back again in June when she will be nearly 11 months old. I'm sure your kids will love the place and they're bound to get spoilt rotten - the Turkish love kids, they used to argue about who was pushing our Chloe's pram in and out of the restaurants for us. We have a house over there and when me and the other half were over there at new year, everybody's first question was not how are you but how is the baby and when will we see her again!! Also in the restaurants they are very good and will do as much as they can to help so if there's nothing on the menu you fancy, or want to chop and change for the kids, just ask. The food is lovely and fresh and there's so much to choose from that you're bound to find something that the kids wilo enjoy.

In Ortakent, there's the Kipa supermarket which is actually a branch of Tesco so you'll see some familiar items. They do a good range of baby food in there if you do want to look what's on offer there as well.

Yes it will be warm but just take the usual precautions - plenty of sun cream, stay out of the hot midday sun and get the kids to drink plenty of fluids - nothing different than you would do if you had taken them to Spain. We had a sunshade for Chloe's buggy as well as a parasol - we got it off Ebay and it certainly made a difference as you weren't constantly having to alter the angle like you do with a parasol. It just fitted over the hood of the buggy if you can understand what I mean.

I'm sure you'll have a great holiday - and don't worry about the kids, they'll be fussed over something rotten and you can find whatever you need for them over there.
It can get really hot in June.. :sun2

Last year we visited a good friend of ours who had gone to work at the Viras restaurant in Ortakent...it is run by Mustafa and his English wife Victoria and set on a beautiful sandy beach....(lovely food )

When we were having our lunch I noticed that Victoria had filled a small infants pool under a beach brolly and had a toddler in it...I though what a brillant idea to keep them cool!!! They are not too expensive here maybe you could take a small one with you?

You will love Turkey :tup and the children will be really fussed over!!!
I'm sure you can get litle paddling pools in the big supermarkets there too. Souds like a good idea :sun2
Going :offtop A lot of people on the Sharm forum take these little pools to use as a bath for their small children in if the accommodation only has a shower.
We've bought one for Chloe and as part of it, it has a sunshade attached so that she can sit in the pool with a shade over her so she won't be in the direct sunlight. I got it in the sales from Superdrug and it cost all of 49p - bargain!! - may be worth looking out for.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.