UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Would it be the hot tub that caught your eye :D
I know you have mentioned Fort William as you have been told it is central and if you have your heart set on the area that is a good choice.

However would you consider a more central area?

The central belt of Scotland is :think central!!! and takes in areas such as Glasgow, Edinburgh and Stirling along with stunningly beautiful areas such as Loch Lomond and the Trossachs and is only an hour and a half or so from Prestwick and you can be as remote or close to civilisation as you wish.

I am heading off to work now so won't see your reply however here are a couple of websites again :rofl

http://www.trossachs.co.uk/

http://www.visitscottishheartlands.com/areas/trossachs/index.cfm

http://www.incallander.co.uk/

http://www.visitscottishheartlands.com/

http://www.lochkatrine.com/

Graham
Possibly Graham and I will take a look at all those links but I feel so overwhelmed with all the choices it's probably better to stick reasonably close to where we had in mind .

Dont forget I live in Essex so anything North of Glasgow I'm sure will be spectacular to
us . :D

I'm not too sure why we think of Fort william as central . It's probably what my nephew means by central to all the stunning scenary he's always loved when he works there .
Doesnt mean that we would actually want to spend any time in the town it'self .Probably not our thing ,but just somewhere to base our search from, if that makes sense.

Dave has just summed up what we really need . He says somewhere that feels isolated where we can walk from our doorstep but isnt too far from life and amenities when we need them . A pub or 3 and the all important supermarket for our supplies . Don't want to be driving for an hour to find a supermarket. :rofl

lyn
This one is a few minutes walk from Glencoe village and in the midst of great walking country. You wouldn't need to use your car at all if you didn't want to
http://www.glencoe-hideaway.co.uk/index2.htm
Another idea for being well placed for various locations and surrounded by glorious scenery, i.e Loch Lomond and Glencoe, is the village of Tyndrum, near Crianlarich, lovely scenery around there, and Glencoe just around the corner.
Will have a google of that one Numberplease.

Bridd . That one looks interesting . Seems to be in the same sort of area as this one I found yesterday http://www.unique-cottages.co.uk/cottages/westcoast/argyll/allt_mor

both mention Ballchulish in their location description.

lyn
Glencoe, Ballachulish, Onich and Kinlochleven are all close to each other and handy for Fort William if you need a supermarket or outdoor shop. Fort William itself isn't a pretty town but all these other places are very scenic.
Fort William`s nice enough, but once you`ve walked down the main street, you`ve seen Fort William!
Sounds like we would only use it for a supermarket . :)
At the time I was just using it as a base, because whilst we were staying at Strontian my mother took ill and ended up in hospital in Fort William. I spent my days walking up and down the loch shore looking up at Ben Nevis till it was visiting time!
Thats out on that penninsular that Graham talks about in his first post isnt it number please. ??

Think I'm understanding the map and area a bit more now thanks to everyones links so will probably plump for something around the area south of fort william Glencoe, Ballachulish, Onich and Kinlochleven as correct me if I'm way off the mark but looks like we can get to and maybe explore many of the other places mentioned from here including jumping on the ferry to Ardnamurchan but at the same time still within easy reach of amenities and supplies from fort william .

Now I just need to decide on something and thats the problem . Tomorrow's the day :)
Can I last ask . I've found more to my liking around glencoe but would that be further out and more isolated than those other areas . It looks it .

lyn
Glencoe is one of my favourite places. Beautiful.
Don't stress about the Carron ferry over to Ardnamurchan. It's not a big deal. The crossing takes less than 5 minutes and you don't need to book, get out your car or do anything other than drive on and pay the man who will come to your car window. I think it's about £6 but its been a while since I was on it.
yep I think we would like to do that for a day . Quite happy to get in our car most days but don't want to be driving further than an hour or so away really unless it's for something special like maybe the trip over to the peninsular.

If I find somewhere in or around Glencoe how far am I from fort william time wise for supermarket etc (assuming of course that's the nearest )or will Glencoe actually have a couple of shops for the likes of basics such as bread, milk cheese , bacon etc.

I'm just beginning to realise that 5 or 10 miles doesnt mean a lot in terms of driving time in scotland . I was thinking hmm 10 miles , that's ok but clearly that could take an hour . just a bit concerned that out of all those places I mentioned that seem fairly close together Glencoe is more isolated.

sorry i'm being a real pain now and probably stressing too much .
It's about 16 to 17 miles from Glencoe to Fort William, about half an hour along a lovely scenic road by Loch Linnhe. We have stayed in the area many times, there's so much beautiful scenery that driving along feels like part of the holiday. Have spent many days touring the area, just never tire of it and usually call in at the supermarket on the way back from a day out (apart from a visit on the first day to stock up). I would also recommend a drive along the Great Glen up to Inverness - just wonderful. I wouldn't feel isolated in Glencoe village.
Glencoe village isn't really isolated. It's just off the main road which runs through the glen from south to north. I'm almost certain Glencoe Village has a post office and shop and there's a petrol station in Onich so you're not going to be cut off without the basics. If you go onto the Ardnamurchan peninsula and drive to the western tip (most westerly point of the British mainland) it'll take you all day as it's single track for much of the way. A run to Oban though should only take you an hour, Fort William under half an hour and the sands at Morar (stunning!) about an hour and a quarter. There are loads of great places to visit in this area and plenty of local walks too.
Yes Lyn, Strontian is along the Ardnamurchan peninsula, we stayed just the other side of Strontian, at the Ben View Hotel, and drove to Ardnamurchan Point right at the end of the road, a lovely drive, but single track all the way. You shouldn`t feel isolated at Glencoe, it`s not THAT far from "civilisation", in fact I`d like to rent a cottage there, not too keen on the caravan site. The Glencoe Visitor Centre is well worth a visit as well, it`s just off the main road through Glencoe and signposted. Wherever you end up going, I`m sure you`ll have a great time and will want to go back again.
Number please - we've never stayed at that caravan site but often thought about it because of it's wonderful location, so can you tell me why you don't like it please. It's always good to have other peoples opinions and experiences :) Thanks
Sorry for going OT!! :(
Oklahoma, we`ve never stayed there either, and our opinion could well be out of order, it`s just that we had a quick look and it justdidn`t appeal, can`t put my finger on it and say why, so therefore you may well love it. As they say, different strokes for different folks!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.