Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Mi$$y,

Welcome onboard :tup
We have a dedicated thread for Monarch Airlines that you might want to browse through. Your flight is a Monarch charter. They are a good airline and offer a reasonable level of service on short (mid) haul flights. Flights are operated by their Airbus A330-243's or A300B4-605R's depending on your exact dates of travel. These offer 30" seat pitch. Seats are the standard width and comparable to what BA offer. You'll find detailed seating plans on Seat Guru. IFE is provided via overhead screens above the isles. Any questions, fire away.

Darren
I know this has been answered before as i have asked it before, but I cannot find it, but, can you tell me which aircraft they use for the flight with emirates from Glasgow to Dubai?

Thanks
maryjo,

Emirates use a Boeing 777-31H/ER on the GLA-DXB (EK026/5). Refer to the dedicated Emirates thread for more details.

Darren
Hi there.

I'm very new to this, and have very very limited knowledge on planes etc. So thought i would ask the experts :tup

I am planning on travelling to the Dominican Republic on a Thomas Cook flight from Manchester in the Summer. However from previous flights with Thomas Cook in Europe, i am a bit wary on a long-haul flight.

What would i be expecting from this? More leg room, better in-flight entertainment, larger plane etc.?

Thank you!
Scunny8,

The short haul and long haul experience is titally different. Aircraft used on short haul flights are designed to get as many holidaymakers from A-B for the lowest cost. That used to be the case with long haul, but there's been a bit of a revolution since First Choice took the step to remove seats from aircraft and offer great er seat pitch. This of course lead t a slight increase in the cost of flights, but gave a much better longhaul experience. Many of the charter airlines now offer a long haul economy experiences as good, and in some cases better than the major schedule carriers. Thomas Cook operate Airbus A330-243's on their long haul routes. These have 33" seat pitch in economy. To put this in perspective, short haul aircraft as used by Thomas Cook and the other charter airlies (Boeing 737, 757, Airbus A320/1) have 28" seat pitch. You'll have 5" extra seat pitch. Although this doesn't sound much, it makes a huge difference on a 10 hour flight. You can view a seating plan on TCX's website. You'll also have a personal seat back screen to choose the film you want to watch (a selection of 6 plus tv programmes, radio and external flight cameras on selected aircraft). Overall, don't be put off my your short haul experience because long haul is totally different. Go for it, you won't be dissapointed and the beached in the Dom Rep will make is all worthwhile. We have a dedicated Thomas Cook thread for more details.

Darren
KeefG,

This is your flight itinerary for those dates (operated as a codeshare by Northwest Airlines):

Dep LHR 0850, Arr Detroit 1235, Flt No: KL6101 (Airbus A330-300)
Dep Detreoit 1510, Arr MCO 1741, Flt No: KL6422 (Airbus A319-100)

Dep MCO 1330, Arr Detroit 1611, Flt No: KL6425 (Airbus A320-200)
Dep Detroit 1815, Arr LHR 0700, Flt No: KL6102 (Airbus A330-300).

Darren

Hi again Darren,

We've been following these flights for the last few days now and it seems that i'm going to get a better price and better flight times (shorter layover) if we fly with Northwest Airlines.

So, question is are Northwest any good, what planes do they use and would i be better off paying a little more and going with KLM?

Cheers fella
KeefG,

Your original itinerary is actually Northwest Airlines!! Even though they are booked through KLM, they are a codeshare flight and operated by NWA (Sky Team partner). Aircraft as above. I've no personal experience with NWA, but we have a dedicated Northwest Airlines thread for further details where I've posted links to passenger opinions.

Darren
do you know who ocean village are using to fly to barbados from gatwick, what plane is it and the config please if poss, thanks.
Dazbo5 wrote:
Scunny8,

The short haul and long haul experience is titally different. Aircraft used on short haul flights are designed to get as many holidaymakers from A-B for the lowest cost. That used to be the case with long haul, but there's been a bit of a revolution since First Choice took the step to remove seats from aircraft and offer great er seat pitch. This of course lead t a slight increase in the cost of flights, but gave a much better longhaul experience. Many of the charter airlines now offer a long haul economy experiences as good, and in some cases better than the major schedule carriers. Thomas Cook operate Airbus A330-243's on their long haul routes. These have 33" seat pitch in economy. To put this in perspective, short haul aircraft as used by Thomas Cook and the other charter airlies (Boeing 737, 757, Airbus A320/1) have 28" seat pitch. You'll have 5" extra seat pitch. Although this doesn't sound much, it makes a huge difference on a 10 hour flight. You can view a seating plan on TCX's website.You'll also have a personal seat back screen to choose the film you want to watch (a selection of 6 plus tv programmes, radio and external flight cameras on selected aircraft). Overall, don't be put off my your short haul experience because long haul is totally different. Go for it, you won't be dissapointed and the beached in the Dom Rep will make is all worthwhile. We have a dedicated Thomas Cook thread for more details.

Darren

Thanks for that, mate. That's brilliant. :tup :tup
Hi
Hope someone can help me please.Flying to Barbados next tuesday with thomsonfly(from Gatwick TOM735) and was wondering which planes they use and what`s the configuration?Are thomsonfly any good?Have read some reviews that long haul is not good with them.I don`t want to spend an 8 hour flight in cramped conditions!!
:cheers Nicky
flying to Jo'Burg form Heathrow with Virgin on 1st April leaving at 20.30. I wondered if anyone could tell me what aircraft type we will be on and what the seat configuration is on it? We are flying PE as it is an overnight flight. so hopefully it will be okay.

Thanks in adavance,
maryjo,

Your flight numbers are VS061/2, and operated by an Airbus A340-600. For a seating plan, refer to Seat Guru. For further information, refer to our dedicated Virgin Atlantic thread.

Darren
Thanks darren for the quick reply. It is much appreciated.
I just have a small query though. I went on to the link you gave and it looks to me like rows 18-23 are premium economy, then rows 31 onwards are economy? Is this correct? I thought it was meaning that 31 onwards is PE too, but on the description in Premium seats it does state that they have extra leg room due to being in Premium e.g when talking about the bulkhead seats etc., but no mention of the extra legroom for being in PE on seats 31 onwards. So is 31 onwards Premium or not?
Sorry, hope you undersatnd what I'm trying to say!!
Thanks
maryjo,

That's correct; premium economy seating is located at rows 18-23. Rows 31-65 are economy. PE seats have 38" seat pitch, economy 32". Row 31, the first row of economy seating is extra legroom as it's a bulkhead seat. You don't get PE facilities and you'll notice the configuration is 2-4-2 rather then 2-3-2; the seats are narrower.

Darren
Thanks Darren, now I'm really confused!! I have booked PE and have confirmation and the tour operator has confirmed that he has pre-booked our seats. The seats he has informed me that we have are....31 A/C on the way out and 31H/K on the return journey, but according to that, that means we are in economy!!!.....help!!!!!!
maryjo,

That seems very strange. I'd get back on to your tour operator to double check they've actually booked you in to premium economy rather than extra legroom seats economy. Virgin allocate seat numbers on the A346 with single numbers and 10's being Upper Class, 20's Premium Economy and 31 onwards Economy.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.