Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hi
China is a treasure trove of things to buy. Jade figurines, jade jewellery, pearls, cloison jewellery. carved wooden items, fine china bowls, ornaments, silk scarves, silkclothes and ties, T Shirts etc. I haven't bought gold as such on any of my visits, I'm sure I've forgotten something though I expect someone else will give you more info.

Judith
Judith's given a pretty comprehensive list but I bought a number of pashminas, some of the labels say '70% pashmina/30% silk' - but in view of the price I paid I don't particularly believe that. :think
I bought one which is 100% cashmere, that was more expensive but is fab.

During our stay in Kunming, we went to the Boyitang National Art Museum. This was a strange place with ethnic minority clothing, paintings and ceramics (apparently Kunming is home to 52 of the 54 ethnic minority peoples of China). Believe it or not, they were actually selling some of the stuff on display. We were offered a very delicate porcelain vase decorated with peaches (for longevity) for 720 RMB (less than £65) and were told it was 120 years old from the Qing dynasty. We thought OK, you could pay that for a mass produced vase from John Lewis so we bought it. This transaction was carried out in the company of both our local & national guide so we thought it was safe.
We had no problems bringing it out of China but I think you DO need to be careful when buying antiquities over a certain age.
We just had to bring back lots of tea as it was delicious :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.