Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Ice cold Amstel in McLaughlans duty free bar 75 cents for starters ;) , but love the green Mahou.
I prefer Mahou to S Miguel but I thought the draught Amstel was awful. Mind you, I'm a dark beer drinker at home, wouldn't thank you for a pint of lager..
wouldn't thank you for a pint of lager

When I am not on holidays it has to be Stella THE best lagar in the world, no question..... :rofl
I have to take your word for it Miss P, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. My youngest son drinks it though and he swears by it.
Eddieriff, you never know you may try it and like it, I like a Cool Stella now and again, but rarely drink it on hols, I tend to do the local lagar o go through the cocktails list if going A/I.

Crikey I sound as though I am in need of AA........ :rofl :rofl
Miss P, I'm 58 now and been a "brown beer" drinker all my life and I doubt if I'll change now. I have had the odd cold bottle of Stella and found it ok. I don't drink pints in Beni, just bottles; Mahou most places (or S Miguel) but I find Estrella (especially in La Murada, Calle Londres) quite palatable. I have been known to buy Estrella in Tescos as it's imported and not brewed under license in the UK. I keep the bottles in the fridge for when my boys visit but do help myself now and then.
Other Half like eddiereff only drinks real ale in UK but has found the Bourbon Bar at the bottom of the Yellow Brick road sells local bitter which he find better than the lager beers. Last year it was 1.50 a pint and he likes a good head on beer got 2 pints and swished them between the 2, also take note it is quite strong about 4.5%. Also the Guiness Bar on the front sold London Pride but was quite expensive. :cheers
Leyland Lass, I don't drink "real ale", I'm ashamed to say I drink the "normal" brewed brown beer but have to say I wouldn't go anywhere near London Pride and I don't think they'd sell it here in Newcastle anyway, lol!
Its an aquired taste I guess, although I would like to empahsise that I too don't down pints far too much of a lady :rofl
If I drink anything in the day in Benidorm it is the local Amstel draught as it is pretty harmless. In the evenings I usually drink the green bottle Mahou. If they sell the red stuff then I might buy that instead, because it is a nicer tasting drink, but there is no way I could drink it all night as it is potent stuff! Funny thing is, a lot of places do sell it but don't offer it unless you specifically ask for it.
Nowadays, I'll only drink spirits in places with English bar staff, who understand that I'd rather pay £2 for local spirits and post-mix mixer than £6 for "genuine" spirits and a little bottle, since I can't tell the difference! The Spanish bar staff understand that request perfectly well but are obviously under management orders to screw every last cent out of customers who they expect to sit there all night with one drink! I actually saw the manager in The Town tell off a barmaid who gave me what I asked for!
I also like the Guinness in the Shamrock. I don't normally drink the stuff but it's nice to have something that isn't gassy.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.