Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
that just about sums it up except you missed iskender kebap yum yum :tup
Turkish food - all those lovely kebabs, pide, lahmacun, bread, fish......... I could go on ;)
Sunshine
Sea
Our friends
The relaxed laid back atmosphere
Travelling about and seeing all the places I love

There must be a million things more but I can't think at the moment!
Walking up the hot, dusty track back from the village to the apartment, getting really hot then having a refreshing dip in the pool!
Sitting on the balcony with a cool glass of wine early evening before going out for dinner, watching the goatman bring his goats down from the mountain.
Oven lamb that has cooked all night and all day in our favourite restaurant and just melts in your mouth!
Eating fish,mezes,kebabs, and of course......the wonderful bread!
The heat...its just the right humidity for me, and theres also the pool if its too hot.

Sea and sand....ok that is everywhere, but its something I crave living slap bang in the centre of the UK, just about as far away as you can get (I'm something like 5 miles away from the furthest inland point).

Lahmacun :tongue ...we love it. Daughter has found several recipes and is planning to make us some soon. I also love the choices at the hotel.

OH and my eldest daughter look forward to the fish...and the daughter also looked forward to what is labelled 'rice with gruel' (its bulghar wheat cooked in tomatoes) :think
I absolutely love the banter in the shops and markets, and in our favourite bars.

Also adore looking in the many jewellers windows in Side, and even trying some of the stuff on.

Then there Efes, and other cocktails which seem to taste much nicer in turkey :cheers

And finally, not having to cook!!!
The first thing is the weather
the local people who do not mind if you just have a beer and a look round their restraunt
Having a cold Effes at 10.30-11.00 in the morning ( yes it is only 8.30-9.00 back home)
Good food
Good company we allways meet nice people on holiday ( you can always avoid the other type)
Switching off from work,drinking as much as i want without having to worry about drink driving ie still being over the limit the next day as i drive for a living.
A good pool, we do not miss the beach as we live near the coast and have spent most of my early years at the beach every summer ( mind this was before the advent of " air travel to the sun for the masses" )almost in black and white!
Late nights, well lateish nights and late mornings

Alan :cheers
CloClo,

I have tried making lahmacun at home and it never works out the same. I do make bulgar with tomato though a lot and that is very nice.

Kedi
partying all night... sleeping all day! :cheers

I love getting off the plane and feeling the heat... hearing the crickets as your walking through the coach car park

I love the different bright coloured flowers

sitting on the balcony enjoying a drink befor supper

Last but not least... meeting up with all our old friends in the bars and restaurants.

ps what is lahmacun?
Lahmacun is a type of Turkish pizza - usually topped with finely minced spicy lamb and chili.

What do I look forward to - one thing is catching my first glimpse of Icmeler as you come down the hill from Marmaris - that always makes me feel like I'm "coming home". Like others have said, I also look forward to the delicious Turkish food - and trying something I've not tasted before. I also enjoy the welcome you receive from the locals - it never ceases to amaze me how they remember your name and face, even if you've perhaps only visited their bar or restaurant once!
Turkish mezze, glass of chilled wine on the balcony, shedding my winter layers. We were supposed to fly out this morning, I'll just have to close my eyes, turn up the heating, put on some mustapha sandal and dream.....
Crickey now thats not nice having missed you hol so soon, I go on the 22nd May or should I say hopefully I will be going on the 22nd :que
Anyway, first thing I look forward to is our minibus driver standing at Dalaman airport with my name on a card, such a friendly man he is, then the same at the Hotel as I have been there many times it is like going home, and they greet you like you are one of the family, I also look forward to the sun and sitting on the balcony having a nice Bacardi and coke in a tall glass full of ice while my friends get ready,ohhhh the list could go on and on..........carnt wait to go back :cheers
Going back to Turkey for just the second time in August. I'm already looking forward to the heat on my skin, the sea at my feet and a cool glass of raki in my hand :cheers Can't wait for the Turkish cuisine either.
Hi Mitchell, lahmacun isn't Turkish pizza, Blondiescot is thinking about pide. That's good too. :)
Lahmacun is more like a Mexican wrap, the dough is thin and soft and topped with tomato paste and spicy minced meat which you squeeze lemon over and throw in some rocket leaves or parsley then wrap it up into a sausage shape, its tops. :tup
gb
It is the warm greetings and hospitality from the local people that do it for us. Then you've got the food, we have been tending to eat more in the places the locals eat. Add to this, we have got an apartment out there, something else to look forward to.

Les
groovybaby wrote:
Hi Mitchell, lahmacun isn't Turkish pizza, Blondiescot is thinking about pide. That's good too. :)
Lahmacun is more like a Mexican wrap, the dough is thin and soft and topped with tomato paste and spicy minced meat which you squeeze lemon over and throw in some rocket leaves or parsley then wrap it up into a sausage shape, its tops. :tup
gb

Well, I stand corrected, although I've always thought of pide and lahmacun as both being a type of pizza. The lahmacun dough, although certainly much thinner than our "normal" pizzas, is still the same type of thing - but anyway, no matter what, they're both delicious!
Lahmacun is actually a kind of Turkish pizza, I have recipes in Turkish cook books and it is always referred to as pizza. This is one here:

http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2006/04/turkish-style-pizza-with-ground-beef.php

So you weren't wrong Blondiescot ;)
mmmm it looks/sounds lovely... will certainly be looking out for some of that when we come over! :tup
I look forward to my husbands 6 0'clock beer on the balcony otherwise called beer O'clock. The look of joy on his face is lovely to behold lol.
Can we just agree to disagree here please? Whether it's a pizza or a wrap, does it really matter? We're just going around in circles and duplicating posts over two threads and not getting anywhere.

Thanks,

Dazbo HT Mod
blondiescot / groovybaby,

Your posts have been removed before it gets out of hand, for the benefit of other members, to avoid duplication and to keep this thread on topic.

Thanks,

Dazbo HT Mod
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.