Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Not all planes have 4 engines, most only have 2! 747 and A340s have 4 though.

They don't really rest. They have an hour or so on the ground during turn-around, and sometimes some planes stopover for longer though.

The have periodic checks like an MOT which are very thorough, and mean the plane could be out of action for days even weeks. If there is a fault noticed on a plane in service it is reported, and examined and fixed before it can fly again if needed.

I'm sure Dazbo will correct anything if I'm wrong, but they are used to maximise profit to the airline, and a plane sat around on the ground isn't making them money.
knitter46,

Your flight to PVR is a testement not only to aircraft design and engineering, but also their maintenenace. The aircraft you are flying to PVR on will be in the air for approx. 23.75 hours with only a 2 hour break inbetween, plus a 45 minute tech stop. Most of that will be at cruise, but still, you try working that long with only those breaks!!!! Aircraft are designed to be in the air rather than sat on the ground so it's not a problem. Aircraft have rest periods in between flights where they are checked, maintained and rechecked before their next flight. Any minor faults will be picked up here if it's required (I'll not go in to Minimumum Equipment Lists, too complicated for here!) or the aircraft repaired before being sent on its way. They are built to take the abuse becasue as xzbit says, an aircraft sat on the ground is costing the airline money, not bringing in revenue. Commercial aircraft have extensive maintenance schedules broken down in to A, B, C and D checks. They have schedules downtime for these throughout the year. A checks are routine and done regularly, a bit like a car service, through to D checks which are done every few years where the aircraft is stripped to its component parts, each one checked then the aircraft rebuilt. They're like new after a D check. Aircraft are rested a few hours between flights but they don't really need it. It might sound strange, but an aircraft is more likely to suffer damage while resting than it is while flying. They are just complex machines, and designed to be working, not resting.

In term of the number of engines, reliability and power used to be a problem. The Boeing 747 for example has 4 engines because it needed them to provide all the thrust when it was first designed over 30 years ago. Engines weren't as reliable as they are these days so that's why most aircraft now have only 2 engines. They can provide the necassary thrust and are reliable enough. The exception are what are known as ETOPS flights. This acronym stands for 'Extented Twin Engined Operations' and essentially governs where a twin engined aircraft can operate. Currently, the maximum ETOPS rating is 180 (likely to increase), ie it can operate within 180 minutes flight time of an airport. The aircraft you are flying to PVR on operates under these rules. For the most part, this allows aircraft to fly pretty much anywhere, ie over water and land where there are airports withing 3 hours, However, if you are crossing large water bodies or remote areas where there isn't a suitable diversionary airport, then you must have an aircraft with more engines. Hence the Boeing 747 and Airbus A340 have 4 engines for operating in these areas. Aircraft are well thought out and every scenario is taken in to account!

Don't worry about the aircraft, it'll get you there and back in comfort and safety. Have a great time,

Darren
Thanks for your detailed answer Dazbo and Xxibit... Its Amazing really what planes are built to do and the riskest part of your journey is the M25 getting to the airport!!!
I will enjoy holiday all packed now :)
Hi. I'm finding this an interesting thread. Is there a website I could visit that would tell me where our plane had just come in from and where it will be flying to after dropping us off. No particular reason, I just find these kinds of things interesting :D Thanks
shirley h wrote:
Is there a website I could visit that would tell me where our plane had just come in from and where it will be flying to after dropping us off.
You already found it!! For security reasons, airlines don't publish aircraft movements. However, if you give me your flight details I can tell you where the aircraft comes in from, and if you really wanted to know, where it then goes to. It's a bit naughty doing it, but no-ones ever said anything (yet!).

Darren
Hi Darren,

:) Can you find out where ECA 249 is coming from. We're scheduled to fly from Bristol - Crete on 3rd Aug.
Just interested to know. Think I'm turning into some sort of plane spotter :rofl
shirley h,

I'd forgot you were flying with Eurocypria! It's not so easy with Eurocypria as they operate charters from all over europe and I can only receive ACARS transmission from within UK airspace. I've had a look through the data and can find ECA249 but it positions in from outside of UK airspace so I can't say where it comes from I'm afraid.

Darren
Thanks for trying Darren,
what does "it positions in from outside uk airspace mean". Sorry to be so dumb :think
shirley h,

It just means it comes in from somewhere in europe to operate the flight. UK airlines normally base aircraft at a particular airport to operate flights from there. However, because ECA are based in another country, they have to fly (position) in to pick the passengers up before operating the flight. I can get the aircraft logs once it's in UK airspace, but not outside unfortunately.

Darren
O.k. Thanks Darren,

Ooh, I'm thinking in that case probably more chance of a delay :duh
shirley h,

Not really. I see ECA flying in to MAN all the time and they're normally quite punctual.

Darren
Thanks again Darren,
Roll on 2 weeks time ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.