General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
That's a hard one- as we love all our holidays. Abroad I think I'd say Argassi in Zakynthos in 1995, purely because all 15 of our immediate family were there. In this country I'd say Isle of Wight in 1984. Hubby had just gone back to work after a year out on strike with the miners. My sister was working as a bluecoat in a holiday camp there, and managed to get us a really cheap week in a rigid tent. The kids had a ball.
Definitely too hard to pick. I think I've loved every holiday equally (how can you not? 2 weeks sunshine, rest and relaxation). I can think of 2 hols that I wouldn't repeat in a hurry- this Easter's hol in Benidorm and a summer holiday we had in Menorca about 15 years ago. I still enjoyed them but they aren't places I'd go back to.
Without a doubt, Mexico 3 years ago, nothing has come close yet! We decided as it was the year of both our 40ths to have a special holiday- the girls were 7 and 10 and they still talk about it now. The hotel was fabulous and the things we did and saw have become what we now look to match. I would love to go back, but just worry that the 2nd time wouldn't match the first and would somehow spoil the memories. It was the first holiday when we didn't want to come home, and we were both quite emotional sat in the lobby waiting for pick up. Definitely the holiday of a lifetime.

Pam :cheers
Almost impossible to answer. Unless you are having an awful time, every holiday you go on is the 'best one yet'. I would find it hard to chose between a cruise to Alaska, which was absolutely magical and the two trips we have done to Australia. Please don't make me chose :think

Rosalyn
Taj Exotica, Maldives, 2004. Nothing else has matched the memories we have from that holiday. Words can't describe!
I have had some fantastic holidays over the years, truly amazing times, but if I had to choose just 1 I think it would be my first trip to Cambodia , we had 4 nights in Siem reap as a side trip fromThailand in 2004 , words could never describe it ...................... magical :)
It was the first holiday when we didn't want to come home,

TBH, I'm almost never ready to come home from a holiday :que I particularly remember the family holiday to Zante that Helen T mentioned. We'd had such a great relaxing time with all the family, I remember telling myself on the last day that every day should be like the holidays. I swore that I was going to stay calm and relaxed and I wasn't going to worry about anything when I got home. I can't remember how long that feeling lasted as inevitably every day living caught up.
That was probably a really bad choice of words!! Kind of implies that all our holidays were really bad :duh Normally at the end of a fortnight, we are ready to come home, we miss the house and the animals, the kids want to see their friends, a bit different to wanting to come home!!

Pam :cheers
1972 Primrose Valley Filey the first holiday I had ever been on saved all year to take my Wife and son on holiday as when i was a kid we had no money for holidays.I have travelled the Near and Far East,Caribbean,and Europe since, i can now afford holidays wordwide but that 1st holiday will always stand out to me.
difficult to say, we have had good holidays in the UK, the ones that stick in the mind most, touring southern Ireland, our first Cyprus holiday, kos, and Aalberfura, those we wish to forget , 2 trips to turkey, hotel Juno in Alcudia, Salou, the others [various Greek/Portugal/Spanish have been fine

Brian
Our best ever 'holiday to forget' was also to the Jupiter/Saturno complex in Alcudia!! Our 5 year old spiked a temperature once past passport control and spent the first week with the hotel doctor trying to treat a raging chest infection which hubby also went down with. The hotel rooms were small and pokey, with evenings spent on a dark balcony, while the children slept. It ended as it started, turbulent flight, with 18month old on my knee, hubby and eldest either side being violently sick and i'm the nervous flyer!!

Pam
see thats how bad my memory of the place is... i said Juno when infact [thanks to pam for reminding me] it was the JUPITER in Alcudia

:(
brian
We've had lots of great holidays but nothing could beat our tour of New Zealand in January 2007 with 3 nights in hotels and the rest of the time in a motorhome. That was magical!!
My first holiday without parents - me and 2 friends let loose in Zante at the age of 16 - i have absolutely no idea how we survived, as even when the 3 of us talk about it now, we can never remember actually eating any meals! Too busy drinking and dancing till the early hours! Couldnt survive it now!

Also have fond memories of holidaying in Salou with my parents. My best holiday by far was me and my other halfs 3 week holiday to Florida last year - we will never forget it! Going back this year and somehow 2 weeks doesnt seem long enough anymore!

GG x
hi glittergirl you sound like you was a wild child when you was 16 but that was what it was all about.and i agree with you 2 weeks in florida doesnt seem long enough. we start getting the blues 3 days before we fly home just thinking about the british weather regards john :sun2
I love holidays... I've got fantastic memories of my childhood holidays right up to my mid-teens. We also went away with my parents' best friends, who had a daughter the same age as me. Along with my sister, the three of us used to have an amazing time. :D

I'll also never forget visiting Ephesus when I was on holiday in Turkey. But I think my best holiday has to be when I went on hol with my parents to Mallorca. I was really stressed out at work, and just wanted to get away, switch off and speak to no-one (!), instead I ended up going out with one of the waiters a couple of nights :cheers and two years later we're still together. :)
I've also loved all of mine and have not had a favourite so far :cheers: I do have hopes this year, recession or not, to have a holiday after peak times :tup (ie, not July or August as not allowed them off due to holiday season lol)
hi everyone i was thinking back to the last holiday we had england. i got talked into going on a camping holiday in cornwall, it rained for 2 weeks and the only time it stopped raining was in the evening ,i never go camping again for sure :cry
I think when I was a kid it would have been Weymouth. I didn't go abroad until I was 18 apart from a couple of school trips to France.

Alaska last year was amazing as was a Fly drive to the west coast of the USA in 1999. 2 weeks in Monte Carlo in a borrowed apartment was tremendous especially as it was a free loan!

However for sheer joy I think it was the fortnight we had in Majorca when our eldest was about 6. He had the time of his life and it made our holiday so much more enjoyable.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.