Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Not sure of how many times we have been to Thailand. First time Bangkok and Koh Samui staying at Indra Regent BKK then Chaweng Regent and Aloha Lamai. 2nd was Merlin Beach Resort Phuket. 3rd was Busakorn wing at the Holiday Inn which we loved. 4th was Busakorn on our way back from the UK. 5th was Kata Beach Resort, Kata then again at the Busakorn. 6th was The Woodlands and the Rabbit Resort Pattaya. So this must be our 7th time coming up in October... where else Yep!! the Busakorn. Prior to ever staying there we never ever stayed in the same hotel twice, however, in the Busakorns case we have made an exception. Love the place !!.
We always travel in their wet season and out of Australian school holidays so we get a better deal on the airfare and don't pay a King's Ransom for the hotel rooms. Apart from a VERY wet experience in Koh Samui we have been reasonably lucky since.
Cheers Geri
I've been to Thailand four times visited Bangkok and areas within a couple of hours drive, Cha Am (torrential rain the whole time and the hotel ground floor was flooded), Hua Hin, Chang Mai with a bit of trekking. I am not really a beach person and a few days is enough as I like being on the move but always enjoy a few days in Bangkok. I'm intending spending time in Bangkok next November on my way to Laos.
Bangkok - The Landmark twice, The Dusit Thani, The Bel Aire Princess and The Buddy Lodge

Chiang Mai - The Royal Princess

Ko Samui - The Baan Samui twice , The Paradise Beach resort, Centara Villas

Krabi - Krabi Thai Village

Phuket - The Phuket Hilton and The Andaman Cannacia

Hua Hin - The Anantara twice

Mae Hong Sorn - The Imperial Tara
Not sure if I have been ten or eleven times.

Been to Bangkok several times, Classic Place, numerous visits to (and name combinations) for the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa (preferred it when it was the Royal Garden Riverside and you could get a bed round the pool), Le Bua, Suwan Park.

Beach wise I've been to Cha'am (Methavalai hotel), Hua Hin (Royal Garden Village...now Anantara), numerous visits to Phuket (Kata three times, Panwa couple of times, Naithon),Phi-Phi , Pattaya, Koh Samet, Koh Samui a couple of times, Koh Tao, Khao Lak,Krabi numerous times.

Up north Chaing Mai numerous times both city and country, Chaing Rai, Chaing Saen, Mae Hong Sorn.
Many places, many times, but not enough the north. Chiang Mai only for the day of an arrival on the Eastern & Oriental Express, then back south by car!

Several nameless hotels, many cheap and nasty ones, many cheap and lovely, (several whose names were consumed by too much Mekong), but i've calculated 8 visits, over 13 years, with increasing levels of luxury, and 3 visits that consumed my 30 day visa to the max.

Most memorable were the 60thb hut on bottle beach, and the Tubkaak which I still dream of!
So none of you have been to Koh Chang -where I live - yet? Time to be more adventurous ;)
never been to Ko Chang, no but I would love to , next on my Thailand list, maybe Xmas 2009 :think
Did consider Koh Chang but it seemed a bit of a pain to get to.
Easy to get to , fly Bangkok - Trat on Bangkok Airways then minibus shuttle to your hotel on Koh Chang. Can't get much simpler.

On a budget, take the bus from Ekkamai Bus Station, Bkk direct to the ferry pier ( about 250 baht - 5 hours drive) then ferry crossing (around 120 baht/return ticket, 30 - 45 minutes) then pick up truck taxi (songtahew) to your hotel - 50 - 80 baht/person. Leave Bkk early morning and be at your hotel by mid-afternoon.
I with my family usually we visit to Pattaya in April-May. There is all for fine family vacation. Scuba diving is Pattaya's most popular water sport - the water is clear, sea life plentiful, transport and accommodation readily available and instruction to a very high standard.
Been too many times to count.We have been to Samui,Phuket,Krabi.Chaam,Hua Hin,Krabi,Bangkok of cours and many times to Pattaya.I know pattaya is not everyones cup of tea but we love the variety of restaurants the top hotels and the very interesting nightlife.

And yes macfarang we have been to Koh Chang.We went from Pattaya in September not the best time I know.Four hours in a mini bus in a storm.A ferry ride in very rough seas and two days of non stop rain followed by a very scary ferry ride back to the mainland.

Love to go back to koh chang but next time will pick a better part of the year.

Just took the plunge and booked our flights for October.Know its still the monsson but you still get plenty of sunshine and the hotels are much cheaper.Yet to plan where to go but only got 13 days so will not be going far.

Papa
Hi

Been to Chang Rai - Anatara
Phuket - Dusit Laguna
Phuket - Evason (twice)
Cha-Am - Holiday Inn (went when it was the Regent)
Krabi - Sheraton Krabi Beach
Bangkok - Shangri-La
Koh Lanta - Layana

We've been going to Thailand since 1996 and love the place!

Were supposed to be doing up our kitchen this year and spending money on more sensible things - but guess what - just booked a deal to Aleenta in Hua Hin for October this year. Can't wait now!!!!! :D
I've been to Thailand about 12 times, my last trip being in 2005, but I hope to return again next year. In Bangkok, I've stayed in several hotels, just liked to try somewhere different most times, the main ones I can remember being: Asia (now has direct access to Skytrain station, rooms looked a bit old last time I was there but clean), Ambassador (Near Skytrain Nana station), Windsor Suites ( was good when I stayed there but have read some not so good reviews, as name suggsets, you get a suite for the price of a room in other 4* hotels), Bel Aire Princess and Royal Benja another two which I found very good. The Amari Watergate was excellent, but a bit large and impersonal for me.

Chiang Mai - the Empress, it might have changed its name now, the one in Bangkok has ( can't remember what it is :que )

Phuket - Amari Coral Beach - lovely setting away from the hustle & bustle of Patong, but within walking distance
Cape Panwa - I was there the year before Leonardo di Caprio stayed there when he filmed The Beach - again lovely setting but a bit remote, great if you just want to chill out.
Sea Pearl beach in Patong, - I don't know if this opened after the Tsunami as I know it was hit by it - very sad, a small hotel right across from the beach. Hope to go back to Phuket next time and see how things are.

Pattaya: Amari Orchid resort in North Pattaya away from the main town, right across from the beach
Asia hotel - out of town so nice and quiet as was the Cosy beach hotel (but the beach is down as steep cliff side, there are steps, loads of them :tongue
My friend has just stayed at the Areca lodge downtown and said that was very good
Thanks Fiona - but as I stayed at most of them before HT existed (or I discovered it :duh ), it's a bit late to do any reports as some may not be as good as they were several years back.
Liz
We went for the first time last May (2007) and loved it...! Definitley want to go back and hopefully we will ! We stayed in Bangkok for 2 nights at the Century Park Hotel and then went on down to Koh Samui for 12 nights. Here we stayed on Bophut Beach, north of the island, at the Bandara Hotel and Spa.. Both hotels were really lovely - no complaints whatsoever. We were thoroughly spoilt at the Bandara - we were given a free upgrade to a cottage villa with private plunge pool and outdoor shower !...Brilliant ! :cheers
I love Thailand and am looking at booking to go next year
We stayed in Bangkok (Amari Atrium) then onto Phuket (Cape Panwa)
What time of year do you normally go Fiona ??
July and August. Although we spent last New Year in Bangkok and loved it :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.