General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
ive noticed we have 3 guests on now...I always wonder when I see guests on who they are and why they have come to read our posts...I am basically nosey ....am wanting to say hello....so HELLO guests.... :cheers nice to know your there....tweetie
Your post is brilliant Tweetie, it sums it up so well, about how many feel in the build up to holidays and then on their return. I am between two holidays and because of that I seem to be spending more time on here than I ordinarily would. You have a great way of expressing it.

Doe :sun2
I don't know about you guys but I did get sent a pm asking me to join another holiday website but it was really rubbish nothing like holiday truths.........

It's a shame some regulars don't come on anymore I remember meeting someone on the plane who had been giving me advice on Lanzarote in about 2003 lol he was sat next to us.
mari wrote:
I did get sent a pm asking me to join another holiday website

:tut We don't spam other sites for members so neither should anyone else. If anyone gets 'spammed' via pm please let us know. :tup
Over the years I have used this site on and off, from as far back as the EZboard years. I now access it several times a day via Facebook as the new posts appear on my newsfeed. Linking up with Facebook was definately a good idea, in my opinion!

I met a lovely family sitting by a hotel pool in Cyprus in 2004. During our first conversation the lady asked if I was the Yvonne who posted on HT! We still keep in touch now.

I occassionally look at TA site but only to look at hotel reviews.

Keep up the good work everyone!
There is of course another reason that nobody has mentioned. Not everybody has heard of us. Usernames hide our identities so I cannot know if my efforts have had any success. I always make a point of telling people about HT when discussing holidays. Consider how TA managed to get known - people told others about it. If anyone is not doing that then they should be.
We obviously think HT is rather special but sometimes keeping it a secret is not a good idea.

fwh
Glynis

I let David know don't know what he did though as the cuplrit is still on the forum........
Hi Peeps...

Firstly a HUGE thank you for all the comments.
Regarding the hotel reviews...It's especially important that you do post your reviews on HT. Unlike other sites we do have a stringent approval procedure for our hotel reviews to ensure they are not being made by rival operators or paid visitors.

Not heard about it? Click this link http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2011/07/25/37737/report+uncovers+market+for+fake+tripadvisor+reviews.html

Whilst TA say they have stringent controls obviously with the revelations this week these are not strong enough...

HT is always looking for improvements to the site and I'm pleased to say I will be implementing some new features within the next few days. I'm sure you'll like them but I need to get the programming finished before I can make them live. The new addition will only add to the community feel of the site. All members will receive a PM about the addition once it's live.

I really appreciate the feedback...It just happens to be posted around the time I nearly finish my programming and give you something new to post feedback on :rofl :tup

Regards

Van
HI VAN....looking forward to finding out what you have planned :clap ....tweetie
Hey Hey Van,

It is nice to feel that our comments are taken on board..and I also think getting on facebook was a brilliant idea.

I have made a conscientious effort to post more over the last few days and there was a thread in Egypt I did take an interest in but it got hi jacked by a couple of people bickering between themselves and I suspect all the other contributors lost interest ( I know I did) but hopefully Kiltman has slapped it back into line.

I do think it is good to allow "healthy debate" on this forum so I would hope that continues as we all have different experiences and opinions etc but sometimes you do get people who cross the line somewhat.

:)
Looking forward to seeing your changes Van - thanks in advance :cheers
Same here Van - looking forward to seeing the new features :tup
TWEETIE PIE wrote:
ive noticed we have 3 guests on now...I always wonder when I see guests on who they are and why they have come to read our posts...I am basically nosey ....am wanting to say hello....so HELLO guests.... :cheers nice to know your there....tweetie

GUILTY!! :rofl

I tend to browse this forum alot and have got into the habit of logging in just to post.

Sorry :D
Someting just occured to me about the original question.

Who says not as many people use HT? Just because they don't log in and ask questions it doesn't mean they aren't finding the answers. Google likes this site and answers already posted will be thown out near the top of a search, so it's possible that many people are using it successfully without us knowing. Pity they don't say thank you - but there's another topic running about that!!
I've never really posted that much on here despite browsing quite a lot but I do post quite a bit on other (non holiday) forums that I'm on. I've been reading this thread and thinking about it for a few days and what it boils down too for me is:

1. I personally don't like the 'over' modding - merging and moving posts happens a lot more here than other boards I use and it's really annoying.
...............as an aside - if I post some info, I don't think it's good if the mods post the identical info an hour later right below it - have a look before posting guys, it gives the impression that you don't care about us 'normal' members!

2. Not enough banter/variety of topics. I think there needs to be an off topic section (on this board itself - not on the other forum) where the members can chat about 'stuff', this would give the board a better sense of community and keep people online. All the other forums i use have this and you get to know each other so much better by chatting about news/music etc.

3. Too many posts on makeup/hair/bags/itsas etc. I appreciate that's what is interesting to many of you but as a bloke it means I rarely do more than glance at general hol discussions now.

Just being honest - I do have a read on here most days, but don't often find anything interesting to post on other than develoments within the travel industry and the occassional bit of info on places I've been. As a comparison I've posted 100+ times this week across 3 other forums (car forum/money saving forum/town forum) and most of those posts were on things like the debt crisis, driving in the USA & best credit cards for overseas ie. mainly off topic but things that people can chat about.
I have the facebook page and actually read loads of the posts on my phone (internet monitored at work) so that is a great idea would recommend people add it to their facebook

Phildo - there used to be an off topic chat section a few years ago and if i remember a chat room thingy as well. but there was all sorts of issues etc

Be interesting to see what new things Van is doing.

Bev
Just being honest - I do have a read on here most days, but don't often find anything interesting to post on other than develoments within the travel industry and the occassional bit of info on places I've been. As a comparison I've posted 100+ times this week across 3 other forums (car forum/money saving forum/town forum) and most of those posts were on things like the debt crisis, driving in the USA & best credit cards for overseas ie. mainly off topic but things that people can chat about

Hi phildo74 but why can't you post about Driving in the USA, assume it's holiday related, credit cards for overseas here, both topics are trip related. I know there are quite a few threads on make up, books, etc which doesn't cater for everyones taste but people make an effort to keep the forum alive and kicking. There is nothing to stop you posting subjects on other trip related threads.

I think most forums have mods/admin and by and large I think they do a grand job trying not to interfere with posts unless they have to - but merging is something that surely must make a bit of sense, if there is already a recent topic operatiing and you might have better change of that post being answered.

I do there there is banter, it comes and goes and at times it kicks off - just like real life really don't you think ;) but this forum is not a chit chat place about the Soaps, and who is doing what to whom but purely dedicated to Holidays and trips etc there are plenty of other general chat fourms around, I think thats why HT stands out and will continue to stay around for being what is says on the tin.

:cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.