DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
Try Alpha Rooms but even better is booking.com as with them you don't usually have to pay until you check out and can cancel with no charge up to 2-3 days before you go if you find a better deal (or your airline goes bust!). Very safe!

Always pay by credit card!!!
..........A link well worth saving should your credit card provider request substantiaition of your claim, especially as it includes a statement from a representative of the Liquidator.
From what i can understand from the ABTA website, you can still book with a ABTA agent and not be covered.
To be covered you must book a package consisting of two elements ie, travel and accomodation.
People who used WSH Travel for booking accomodation alone, would not have been covered with ABTA even if WSH Travel was in the ABTA scheme.
Best thing is to use a credit card even if this costs more on card fee's.
....... or use someone like booking.com or even direct with the hotel where you don't pay until you leave and can amend without charge.
Much as I hate to recommend one of the 'Big Boys'. In this very dodgy economic climate we are in I would be tempted to book with someone like Thomson on the accommodation only part of their web-site. My gut feeling is they are likely to weather the storm. And even so pay with a credit card. I think Hotelopia are also part of a much larger company as well although I feel no one is safe at present.

Shame on the part of the Financial Services sector :twisted: :twisted: that have forced wintersunshineholidays out of business. A good company of 20 years standing who seemed to care about customer service. Soon there will be no independents left. :cry
ive now booked up with travel republic , something i should have done at the start , you get every penny back if something goes wrong , and they have a great sale on just now.
company has gone into liquidation Begbies Taylor are the receivers appointed please see their website for information.
Thanks nosivad, details were posted in this topic yesterday, and are on the previous page for anyone who requires them.

David :wave
The company has gone into administration. I was in the Sol Principe in Torremolinos until today and I had to pay 583.20 to the hotel as W.S.H. had not paid them. I have emailed the administrator to stake my claim.
Just back from Benidorm, arrived at 1.30am on the 16th to be told that my reservation had been cancelled. Had to pay a lot more than my original booking. Can I claim the extra back from the credit card ? I have another holiday booked next month with xcapewithus, any rumours about any other hol companies in trouble?
I received an email today from Begbies-Traynor informing me that I will soon be contacted by an administrator with a view to recovering the money that I paid to Sol Principe last week. (euro583.20
i have just received my claim form letter from begbies, which states; if you paid in full you get that claim back through the trust fund administrators
Mabe Allen LLB but any deposit paid is not covered by the trust fund and you will have to claim via you credit card supplier or from the receivers begbies traynor.
with reference to re- bookings , i have looked at Alpha -Rooms .com they have a very good credit rating and are now (recent ) both ABTA and ATOL
bonded; but be careful as a previous correspondant stated this cover only applies if you take out two elements of your holiday with them ( ie flight +accom, accom +travel insurance, accom +car hire etc etc.) they have been in business 10 years and their prices are very competative.
good luck.
I to have just received my claim form from Begbies to apply to the appointed Trust Fund accountant, I was quite surprised and thankful at the speed.
I have with great trepidation re-booked with Quickrooms the same deal to Albufiera for the 3rd week in Feb thinking the exact same thing might happen all over again, It wrecks all confidence in the market.

I cannot be the 1st to question why are Accommodation only deals excluded from any protection (Excluding Credit card & in WSH case a Trust fund).

Perhaps I am a little nieve but why could a fund similar to an ABTA type be set up for accommodation only bookings to secure peoples money including deposits for maybe a small fee payable by the person booking.

I may have missed something but so far no site that I have visited offer any security unless 2 elements are booked at once.
YorkyYorky,

I've used booking.com to book accommodation on several occasions without problem.
try travelrepublic.com they give didcount if you type in Kingston in the relevant box.
has anyone heard anything yet , or got any of their money back , i got a letter and an e-mail last week , but havent heard anything since .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.