Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Dazznuts,

See HERE, 2.441 to 2.443 in Bulgarian banks high street today.

Baldur
Just returned Mon. Checked my Nationwide Flex, 13th June transaction 2.50. so very pleased. Coop bank in New Nessebar advetising 2.45 on that day.Sunny Beach we thought quite a bit less.
just back from bulgaria we was getting 2.37 at crown exchanges on sunny beach front. That was english stirling btw. :)
Sounds like a good reason to avoid Crown booths, the banks have been giving more than that for Sterling notes, e.g. today's rate, which is dropping..... ;)

Baldur
the boat trips at the minute from sunny beach to nessebar are 15 lev each way :)
and the bus from sunny beach to nessebar is 1 lev each way, about 30-40p in our money!very cheap!!! when you board the bus, you dont pay first, you sit down and then the conductor comes around and gives you a ticket
we went to tomas cook n got 1600 for our 700 pnd is that good????
Not as good as you would get over there. See Baldur's post and link above.

luci :wave
Hi lynnandjim,

we went to tomas cook n got 1600 for our 700 pnd is that good????

As Luci says, not a good rate (even by UK standards) - £700 for 1600 Leva makes the rate 2.28571, marginally better than the Post Office's 2.2748.

That rate is easily bettered by today's Marks & Spencer's rate of 2.3357 or Asda's rate of 2.3576 but the Bulgarian banks are offering rates from 2.412 to 2.452 today.

Baldur
Hi there this might be a stupid question but are the new £20 notes accepted or am I better off taking tenners oh by the way did I mention that we're off to sunny beach next thursday :rofl ;)
Hi Smiffy.

Dont worry Bulgarian banks or exchange desks accept £20 £10 £5 notes just make sure they are not torn or written on as they wont accept them. also kust go and enjoy yourself :sun2 :wave:
Hi Smiffy

They will take either the new or the old don't worry.
Have a great time.
Thanks very much you two it was just a niggling little doubt at the back of my mind but was racing towards the front the nearer the hols were getting
I have just spoken to My bank (barclays) and they tell me I can use the 'Scotia Bank' in Bulgaria with no charges for withdrawls does anybody know if there are any of these banks in the Sunny Beach area????
Never heard of a bank of that name in Bulgaria.

A google check of Bulgarian banks reveals nothing resembling that name.

Patka
Hi,

Sunny Beach week on Friday(can't wait). Have a flex card sorted, but never used ATM abroad before. when you take out cash using flex does it tell you on receipt what exchange rate you are getting on transaction? Reason I'm asking is that it will be a shared a/c with others in party i.e. putting some money in for them and it would be easier to work out.

Also, do you have to order levs in every exchange place or will some have them in stock. If the latter I'll have to get my skates on as not sorted that out yet.

Thanks.
It won't tell you the exchange rate on the receipt, you will have to wait till you get home to check your statement or you can check online if you have set up for online banking. You can check at an internet cafe over there, but remember to take all your details with you as you will need the Customer Number, Memorable Data and password.

Choose Checking Account at the ATM and if it asks if you want the transcation in Sterling press No.

Merged with existing topic.

do you have to order levs in every exchange place or will some have them in stock

If you mean changing in Sunny Beach, all exchange places carry sufficient leva.

However, change only at hotel receptions and proper banks. Avoid kiosks, and never in the street.

Peter
luci HT Mod wrote:
It won't tell you the exchange rate on the receipt, you will have to wait till you get home to check your statement or you can check online if you have set up for online banking. You can check at an internet cafe over there, but remember to take all your details with you as you will need the Customer Number, Memorable Data and password.

Choose Checking Account at the ATM and if it asks if you want the transcation in Sterling press No.

Merged with existing topic.

Luci, thanks for reply. Does it actually say "Checking Account" when you put your card in??

Thanks,
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.