Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Best way to avoid this is dont pack so much into your cases :lol: 8)
We had the same thing last October.

We were not overweight going out from Gatwick, and had not bought anything out there, plus with the unload of the usual toiletries and suncream, we should have been ok.

Its so much harder now, with the strict rules regarding what you can carry in hand luggage, so much more has to go in your cases.

I think there is a bit of corruption going on though. Because 3 families before us were asked to stump up £35, and the money went straight in the guys pocket!! When it got to us, we only had £20 cash on us, and although we were asked for £35, he agreed almost straight away to £20!!
Which ALSO went in his pocket.
:?
I had the same thing last May, I was charged £50.

My sister left Gatwick within the limits, used all their toiletries & bought ONE FRIDGE MAGNET & she had to pay £35!!!

Yes, I think it is a bit of a scam at Dalaman.

Kim
A few years ago I bought a pocket weight (think that's what it's called) It's very accurate so I know before we put the bags on the scales what they weigh. So if you see someone arguing the toss at Dalaman it could be me. :lol:
Ibought a little luggage scale for £11 of the web. It is very light so we take it with us. It has come in handy because you can juggle bit.
Remember its not the cases that weigh heavy its the just in cases.
Margaret
  • Edited by neknit 2007-05-01 17:12:59
We travel as a family of 4 and as such take 4 suitcases. we are normally just over the weight limit in 2 of the cases and under in the other 2. Do you think this will still be ok as long as the average of the 4 is still under
Dealo, I would check the airlines T&C's Ryan air for instance make it quite clear there is no sharing of baggage allowance.

Dave
never pay you excess with cash make them take a cheque or pay by card just incase then always ask for a reciept with the total case weight and excess weight, just dont make it easy for them
i was 8 kilos over last year but i spoke to the girl in turkish and was let off but everyone else was being charged.
i would like to see an airline rep present as to keep a check as this is done soley for the aircraft and the take off weight and extra fuel so do they get it
I came back on Sunday and they charged me for excess, even though my case weighed less than going out through Gatwick where I was not charged
looks like the corruption gone mad, i'm going next week, and buying nothing, i'll be leaving my toiletries behind, so wil have less weight. if i have o pay i'll not be going again. even if this is my 6th trip in 5 years
Hi

Can I ask where the pocket weights are from please? They sound a good idea :D

Thanks
chazy
Chazy - I got mine from a tool store in Glasgow for £5. I think you'll be able to buy them in shops that sell fishing equipment etc. or Ebay as someone else said. :)
I can't remember from last year but can you not see the weight reading at the check-in like at Manchester, if it doesn't start at zero point it out before putting your case on the belt.

Think I will also get some of those fishing scales, not sure you could use it as proof though if they said you were over.

Dave
Thats what I was thinking, if it is corruption & a tourist-rip-off (as I think it is), they are not going to listin to us with our own scales, they will just say they are wrong.

I'm liking the cheque book idea (in fact I'm bringing it) anything to make it difficult to fiddle. They must be on to an AMAZING earner, £50 per couple (on average) DAMN.

Do you think they will take a cheque with a cheque card? we don't have one of those, never use cheques anymore, LOL.

Kim
Maybe we'll find out what's going on when it starts to get busier. I agree having a rep on hand would be a help, it's a difficult one but I'm certainly not going to get ripped off.
:D thank you folks for the info and links

chazy x
Hi I agree with you all my daughter came out to see me in marmaris
last sept and thomas cook let her go through with 26kgs because of the scares in august but what they didint tell her she would not be allowed to bring that weight back so between us we had to pay £40 it could only be paid by cash or credit card they got everyone on our flight home a family in front of us paid well over a £100
Briar - That sounds a good idea. Could it be done by someone like yourself on behalf of the members in an official capacity?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.