Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
unfortunately the prices in all airports are high. and there is a charge for excess baggage , but the original post was about people being charged ecess baggage when they were not over the limit.

bluepeterno1
just an update ive had no reply to my email about excess baggage charges i sent 6 days ago, has anyone else had recent replies
I'm aware of finding high prices at airports etc but Dalaman takes top prize a small bottle of water 5lira -£2. A small bottle of coke10lira-£4.oh and if you feel like a beer that will cost you 18 lira that makes it between £7-£8.

Please check your baggage allowance as I was just one kilo over and it cost me £6, I was one of the lucky ones I had taken fishing scales over with me and was able to weigh my suit case etc my friend had to pay £30 and had hardly bought a thing. good luck and enjoy your turkish holiday !
when we went to turkey 2 years ago we were seduced by all the bargains to be had. (i think we bought up half of the markets!) anyway there was 5 of us travelling so we had 100kgs of luggage allowed. after the 4th case had been weighed we were already up to 90kgs. as the last case was put on we held our breath as it shot up to 120kgs. my husband put his foot under the scales and managed to lift it up slightly. well enough to put us only 2 or 3 kgs over. luckily the airport staff seemed to be oblivious to this and so we weren't charged.
it may have been slightly naughty but hey it worked!!!!!
when we return to turkey next year i'm going to be extra careful, the kids and husband are only taking the bare essentials......so i can take my usual over the top quota and stash it in their cases! ha ha ha.

happy holidays

Sandra
:glynis
That wont work now as the scales are in the second part of the belt at the new Dalaman Airport.
hi

i am slightly worried about all this excess baggage charging, and as there are 4 of us going, i know we are allowed 80kg between us all.
we were going to fit it all between 2 big cases and a medium one, but am now considering buying 4 medium as after reading some of the comments they can be funny about even having more than 20kg in each case and may charge seperately per suitcase. is this the case or do they weigh all of your cases together and add all the weights combined?

kelly
x
Think it's no one case can be over 33kg. I think this is a health and safety issue.
hi, if you are flying with first choice it states on their website no case heavier than 23kg will be accepted. we are a family of four and normally take two big cases (approx 28kgs each) and a medium case, we have now bought four medium cases.
Any cases which are over weight are marked with a green sticker. This is to warn the baggage handlers that it is heavy, so as they dont lift it quickly and injure themselves.

Bluepeterno1
Come on peeps keep this thread going to warn all future travellers that fly from Dalaman.
  • Edited by rwb46 2007-05-30 17:09:31
Hi

Has anybody recently returned and have been charged for excess baggage when they were within the limit? I'm a bit worried, 4 of us travelling so have up to 80kgs allowance and usually take 2 cases with around 27kgs in each. Because of the new restrictions only allowing up to 23kg in each case I've bought 3 new cases but I'm hopeless in standing up for myself and don't want to be ripped off. I'm not planning on buying anything - don't want the hassle when going into shops, markets so will probably stay away so I'm sure my cases will be under 20kgs each!

Any recent news?

s~
Most tickets state on them the weight allowance ,and it is usually 20kg cargo and 5kg.hand luggage per person ,but no case is to be heavier than 23kg for for health and safety reasons ,for the baggage handlers. That means you are allowed up to that weight per case,but if say three people are traveling together there allowance clubbed together is 60kgs,that means two people can have 23kgs each = 46kgs,and the other one is only allowed 14kgs. After that it is classed as excess weight and most airlines will charge accordingly. As for food prices ,I have been talking to a friend of mine who manages a restaurant at glasgow airport. He tells me that all food and drink outlets are rented from the airport authorities,and the rents are so high ,that is why the prices are so high ,as usual it's the consumer who pays through the nose,i would imagine that this would be the same at most airports.

Bluepeterno1
I'm aware of finding high prices at airports etc but Dalaman takes top prize a small bottle of water 5lira -£2. A small bottle of coke10lira-£4.oh and if you feel like a beer that will cost you 18 lira that makes it between £7-£8.

I can beat that, Bodrum. SMALL bottle of water or can of drink, 5 EUROS'S!!!!!!!!!

Thats about £3.50!!!!!!

Makes Dalaman seem reasonable now, LOL.
I know the coke is cheaper, but you do get more in a bottle.
The water price is terrible.
Im scared now about the luggage weight coming home, i always go nuts at the markets and for some reason my 3 boys "must" have new towels every time we go to Marmaris.
Looks like i might be better off buying more cases too, usually i use 2 huge ones for 5 of us, sometimes 3 depending on how many shoes i take :oops:
but a few of you have mentioned that the weight can not be over 23kg :shock: up until last year every flight i have taken i have been allowed up to 33kg in each bag.

I hardly ever buy anything in the airport, i always freeze 2 bottles of water for each of us before the coach picks us up for the airport and make sure we all have been fed too. Only if the kids were starving or thirsty would i buy from there.
The first time i used the airport i had a coffee, i think, and it cost £4 :shock:
Phoned Glasgow airport first thing this morning to check baggage etc, was told all baggage over 23kgs would be marked as heavy for health and safety, just as i knew ,but somtimes it is best to check with your airline , it only takes a phone call .Rules and regulations change so much.

Bluepeterno1
Hi there

not sure they are so strict on the way out from this country, but i know about the stickers on heavy cases, but it is on the way back in from Turkey we are all worried about.
have read on here that some people have taken 2 cases one with 18kg in and one with 22kg both totalling to the allowed limit of 40kg between them, but they were still charged for the 2kg extra on the one case at dalaman as they said it was only 20kg per bag.
i have been out and bought new cases for July as we normally take 1 big one and 2 medium for 4 of us, have bought 4 medium cases now as do not want to get caught out and will be weighing them before i go.

kelly
x
Just keep a copy of your baggage allowance with you and argue about it,and show them .Have had this before on the way home and they soon see you are in the right.If possible get hold of an english speaking rep . as long as your total weight is not over ,then you are in the right.

Bluepeterno1
does any one know if customs will let you take your own bottle of water and snacks into disparture area, this could save a lot of money as when i when last year i bought 2 bottles of water 2 cokes and 2 bags of crisps didn't have much change out of £20
If you read through the replies on this topic you will see that this question has come up quite a bit.

Bluepeterno1
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.