Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Vaccination Advice
319 Posts
Hi Michelle

How much did the jabs cost?

I need to start preparing for my hol at the end of July. 8)
Hi pippy......:wave

How much did they cost :shock: they are free from your GP. It was in the nurses sections of the Doctors that did mine. If you decide to have the Hep A & B combined i would have them done now, as my 3rd injection isnt until i come back from Egypt. But i should still be ok.

HTH :wave
Michelle
hi pippy :wave ,just been reading the same subject in the turkey forums, seem's some GP's charge for certain jab's and some don't. we have not had to pay for any, i think it was hep a, polio,tetnus not sure if there was any more for turkey/ india last year i'll have a look on our jab card's and let you know, unless you get info first....Gavin 8)
Oh!

For some reason I thought you had to pay for hols jabs!

That's good news!
Thanks Gavin :D

I must get in touch with my surgery to clarify this :?
By the way Pip the combined Hep A & B you may have to ask for as they wont tell you :shock:..it is only that i saw a GP prior to my visit and she travels all over the world and told me to go back and have both Heps done.

Also another one you can have but optional is Malaria tablets. I opted out of them as they made my brother really ill.
Been reading a few posts, and it seems Malaria isn't an issue in the Sinai so I'll give those a miss.

I wasn't going to have any jabs, but I'm changing my mind now I'm really giving it some thought.
I will take any jabs that come my way. Going over from Cyprus to Cairo on the Serenade ship i caught Ecoli 0157, it is fatal and i was really ill in Egypt over the two nights we sailed(a lot to do with poor hygiene on the ship and the fact all fish and meat was raw).i would always recommend taking the injections, Cairo was a filthy place in the city itself, although i found it fastinating. But i suppose i was warned with being ill, so if i can prevent it on this holiday then its saved tears, so to speak.

The jabs didnt hurt, but both my arms ache tonight :?
I'm not scared of needles and like you I don't want to take any risks.

Hope your limbs recover soon! :D
Although would not particularly recommend pre exposure cover please be aware of rabies. Was scratched by a cat in Turkey and had to have first rabies jab within few hours in Turkey and several follow ups at specifically timed intervals in Uk thereafter. Egypt is not rabies free so its best to avoid animals where possible and to obtain immediate medical advice if bitten/scratched/or indeed licked by animals.
Caro
Hello, Just thought i'd add my bit to this.

I was told by friends and parents that I would have to pay for my Vaccinations.

I called my local GP and the receptionist obviously had a form so she took down the details of where I was going and when etc and then told me to call back in a week.
She passed my details onto the nurse who checked what injections I had had previously and then wrote down what I needed.

I called back and spoke to the Receptionist who told me the Nurse had recommended Hep A and Typhoid. I asked if I had to pay for them and she laughed and said no, I would only have had to pay if I had the injection for Yellow Fever.

So thats my experience!
Hep A and tetanus are the two most important - and very strongly advised.

Definitely not malaria.

Hep B only if you are up to something and then you should all know better.

Rabies might be adviseable though I have nt heard of any cases ( most countries of the world are NOT rabies free I believe ).

Polio - all children are vacinated I believe here against polio ( as not in the UK ? ) - so I don t know.

The rest I really don t have a clue.

But then I am not a doctor so check with one - and one who knows as I have heard that some doctors are advising anti malaria tablets and that is nonsense.
The first time I ever visited Egypt, a good few years ago now, I was given anti-malaria tablets. When I asked a different GP for my next trip, he told me not to be so stupid!

I have met several people over the years who have been taking a/m tablets for their Egyptian holiday, so it appears that some doctors and nurses do not give the correct information even now.
Hep B definately not a compulsory one for Egypt.
:D Charges all depend on your GP surgery and how their funding works, I have had Hepatitis B vacinations as it is a requirement for my job. As well as the three vacinations you also have to have blood tests to check your immunity levels, as some people do not build up the same immunity as others. This then determines when you may require a top up at a later date. Some people will in fact never build up an immunity. Hepatitis B is a Blood Borne Virus, ie it is transmitted via blood/sexual contact but not through water, food, kissing etc.
Well i never had any blood taken prior to all my injections :cry:

Also reguarding Malaria, it does show up on the map in the Doctors office it is in Egypt, but not so far in the main resort area. I took advice from my Doctor with the Hep B in case of having to go to hospital etc, not for the other as my husband will be going with me :wink:
Hi

I have just read your note about vaccines and I thought I should point out that the ones you have described do not cover you for typhoid. The typhoid jab is a separate one and I would recommend any one travelling overseas has this in addition to the other ones mentioned. It gives protectoin for up to 3 years.

Neil :)
Derwentrocker

Sorry I wasn't very clear you have the blood test after your course to check your immunity.
hi all
new here just found the place
ok subject of travle vax lol your all in for it now
ask and you shall recieve i am a registerd nurse part time practice nurse and have just compleated a travle vax update
my wife and i went to sharm in dec 04 and are going back in june 05
we have had most inocs anyway and me being ex miltry i am up to date with most anyway
now there are changes coming and most gps will be charging for every thing they can unless you fall in a very narrow band then youy will have to pay for most things
typhoid recomended
hep a recomended
malaria there is a risk dependent on where abouts and type of travle
my advice at the moment leave plenty of time see your practice nurse at least 8 weeks before you travle
now i am happy to advise if needed or if asked
i am looking at setting up a travle clinic in the futuer but not sure if it will pan out as yet
be safe and travle well
gw
Malaria ? Again ? Where in Egypt is there any malaria ? I would say that Hep A and tetanus are very, very strongly recommended.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.