Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
This is all I have found so far - there is a statement on the KTHY website but the Turkish translation sites just produce nonsense !

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=60301

John
Well that's more than I've found John . I've also tried 2 translation sites and nothing makes sense.

Surely if this is the national carrier of Northern cyprus and nobody else flys in/out of there something will be done to save them .
Guess this makes it official - from the FCO

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/news/latest-news/?view=News&id=22412245

Good news is that it looks like Pegasus are going to pick up the flights :tup

Happened to the FIL in t'other Cyprus - I booked him on Ajet who were suspended and Eurocypria operated their flights.

John
Thanks John . He's ringing now . No tour operator as he booked direct with KTHY
As expected he couldnt get hold of CTA last night but did manage to get through to pegasus. Unfortunately they didnt have a clue what he was talking about . Well so they said anyway .
Atlasjet may be operating the flights, but things have yet to be confirmed. I hope you get things sorted lynwestie.

Darren
Thanks Darren . He's just hoping someone will be picking up the flights :)
Hope Ruth got away Ok . Just been looking and seems she went saturday so hopefully she is sunning herself on the beach in Icmeler none the wiser..
The announcment on the FCO website has now changed to say flights are to be operated by atlasjet as does the notice on the KTHY website . If you have google crome there is an option to translate . Problem is it is only listing flights between Cyprus-Turkey. Would be interesting to know what is happening to passengers returning now to the UK. Does anyone know if they are stranded or are pegasus/atlasjet operating additional flights to bring passengers home .

My nephew has spent the day trying to get info but KTHY in Cyprus are denying any problems and still happy to take a booking and dial a flight who other family members have booked through are saying they have no knowledge of problems . :really
Atlasjet are taking a 50.01% holding in KTHY as from today (Thursday)

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=60414

John
The Manchester - Dalaman flight that should be boarding at this moment is showing as cancelled on the airport info site.
Seems to be the case Steve . Unfortunately doesnt look like they have officially gone bust and at present they have just had their license revoked .

It's a mess really as if they rebook flights not sure how far they would get with a refund on their credit card if eventually CTA sort out a partnership and flights resume . A screenshot of the FCO announcement page would be a start I think on the basis that they have had to rebook flights to protect themselves. :que
This news item is from yesterday, but is the latest one I can find on the situation:
http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=60484

David :wave
we were meant to be on the dalaman to manchester flights on saturday got to the airport found it wasnt their so we had no flight had to fly to london at a cost of 500 pound for 5 of us and then got a taxi for another 500 from gatwick to manchester where car was parked my question is who do i get a refund from will it be credit card insurance or kthy.
Did you get written confirmation at Dalaman that the flight was cancelled and was the KTHY information desk open to give advice?

Your credit card company is probably liable to refund the original tickets that were useless.

The majority of basic insurance policies exclude scheduled airline failure. Unless you were very lucky, or chose carefully or bought SAF cover as an extra you probably weren't insured. Even if you were, the turn up and go train fare from Gatwick to Manchester Airport on a Saturday is £72.10 so 5 adults would have been £360.50 - if any of the 5 were under 16 then it would have been less - so I don't think an insurance company would pay £500 for a taxi if you landed before 18:30. Did you call their emergency number before spending?

Technically KTHY have a liability for rerouting but since they are not an EU airline and you were flying to the EU they are not covered by the EC261/2004 regulation so it's down to the Montreal Convention. Even if they don't go bust you haven't much chance.
God Julie . Sounds horrific :(

Sorry posting at the same time as steve and he may have better knowledge than me in this instance.

I'm no expert I'm afraid but you should get money back from your travel insurance if that flight was actually cancelled .what I'm not sure about is if that is a fixed amount . Also as steve says this could now be classed a scheduled airline failure meaning zilch unless you are insured for that.

My nephew is in a different situation as they have not yet flown out but he phoned his CC company yesterday with regards to the mess of will he /wont he get refund to go ahead and book new flights if they have yet to officially go into administration . CC company has said he "should" be covered if their licence to fly has been revoked and there is a possibility he could claim additional expenses.
He needs to ring again on Monday to speak to someone with more expertise.

I would say you shoud be entitled to your money back for your return leg via your CC with a question mark over if you can claim additional expenses . I cant see you getting any money out of CTA/KTHY and personally I would ring your travel insurance and CC.

I believe things will be more complicated as this is an airline based in northern cyprus .maybe someone will know where to find a link to your rights under that situation. I know I've seen something posted before .

lyn
No theres still been no update to that message since earlier in the week Jak .Don't suppose there will be unless something can be resolved with Atlas . They were supposidly coming to their resue but talks broke down on Friday because of union involvement http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=atlasjet-halts-partnership-with-embattled-airline-2010-06-25
There are now reports coming through that talks are back on but :que . This is a report from yesterday http://www.brtk.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8534:cta-atlas-jet-talks-resumed&catid=5:kktc&Itemid=28 This is only a press report though and not sure how much needs to be taken with a pinch of salt , particularly in this part of the world.

These are I guess the important annoucements as far as we are concerned

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=125&pagetype=90&pageid=9522

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/cyprus
just rang credit card compony thet trying to get money back for origanal flights even though we used outword ones to turkey just need to write them a letter with origanal flight, the reason we came back by taxi was we tried bus compony which was the cheapest but we could get a bus into london at mid day but not a connecting one to manchester till 8 at night no good with 3 tired kids and for getting the train we had 5 big suitcases to lug about with us and didnt know london at all, as soon as we got in the taxi all 3 kids slept all the way to manchester going to try insurance for travel expenses tomorrow, and no their was no kiosk open at dalaman no representative it was 2 turkish workers from the airport get us the flight as they said we could of waited for the manchester one waiting 8 hours but not guaranteed seets.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.