Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Dazbo
are they changing the type of plane on the Goa route from January then?

For quite a few years, they've used the A330 with Premium cabin.

These planes do have the range for non-stop flights to Goa.

I can't see the A300B4-605R on Seatguru at all BUT the A330-200 is the only one on Seatguru with Premium cabin.

On the Monarch website they are offering Premium seats so have they (1) adapted some of their A300 planes to provide Premium seats or (2) is the A300 a new plane with Premium seats (and just not on Seatguru yet) or (3) are they selling Premium seats on planes that don't have a Premium cabin?

Incidentally, MON4372 ex Gatwick on Thursdays is not showing the same message as MON2490 & MON6382 about stopping in Kuwait. :que

Sunaddict - my apologies, I missed the bit about via Kuwait on the inbound flight.
Prettypollycat,

The AB6 are used to Goa regularly. It's only the last couple of years the A332's have been used. Details are on our What Aircraft? guide (link below). One of the AB6's has a premium cabin. The A330 is a more modern aircraft with a much greater range, hence it can make it non-stop. The AB6 doesn't quite have the range and therefore stops for fuel. It used to be Bahrain, but that's been changed to Kuwait for whatever reason.

Darren
Darren
I've been flying MON2490 twice a year for quite a few years and I'm sure it's been non-stop for longer than 2 years.

I know I haven't been to Bahrain duty free for probably 5 years at least.

One of the AB6's has a premium cabin.

I'm quite concerned about this.
Monarch are selling premium seats on both MON6382 and MON2490.

MON6382 returns from Goa arriving back in Manchester at 17:15 on Saturdays.
MON2490 departs Gatwick for Goa at 17:25 on Saturdays.

If Monarch only have one plane with Premium cabin, I can't see how Monarch can sell premium seats on both the Manchester and Gatwick flights.
The same plane (with Premium cabin) can't operate both routes (unless Monarch have invented time travel. :rofl )

Or unless Monarch are reconfiguring another of the AB^'s for premium cabin.

Why have an aircraft capable of flying non-stop and suddenly decide not to use it?
Won't it mean additonal landing fees etc?
Prettypollycat,

Don't worry, you'll get their and back in one piece, just an hour or so later than originally scheduled. The AB6 is a highly capable aircraft, just short on range compared to other aircraft types. Monarch have more than 1 aircraft with a premium cabin. The airline will notify you of any changes to your booking.

Have a great christmas,

Darren
Hi Dazbo

Currently MON2490 arrives back in Gatwick on Sundays at 17:05.

Revised timings are 19:55 (same departure time from Dabolim - 12:00) so not really 'an hour or so later'.

As we travel 200 miles to get to Gatwick that extra 3 hours (for no benefit to us whatsoever) is proably a deal-breaker and we may not book with Monarch again for Goa.

Pity really as we've always been pretty happy with them and I've defended them on here and another forum.

If Monarch have one AB6 with Premium cabin and we've agreed (I think) that the same plane can't be use on both MAN & LGW Goa routes - what will the other plane used on the MAN or LGW route be?

Merry Christmas - and thanks.
Prettypollycat,

It's possible another aircraft has (is) been fitted with a premium cabin. I only know of one currently, but the changes are from January. It's only a case of re-arranging seating in the forward cabin. It really isn't that much of an issue. It's basically the same service with a slightly longer travel time for fuel onroute. It normally takes about an hour from landing to take-off for fuel, plus the ascent and descent times and slightly further, that's why Bahrain is normally used for fuel stops as it's more direct. There must be an incentive for using Kuwait, like cheaper fuel or something. It's the bit in the middle of the flights that counts anyway! Fuel stops are nothing new, they occur on many flights daily around the world. I've had 2 or 3 hour technical stops on several flights in the past. I actually prefer the longer stops as you can disembark, strech your legs, have a look round then carry on your journey. Given the stopover times, this might be the case here as an extended technical stop.

EDIT: All AB6's now have extra legroom / premium cabins at the front.

Darren
Thanks, Dazbo.

I think Thomson may benefit from Monarch's change of policy as they have a flight with very similar flight times as MON2490 which (currently at least) is non-stop.

Not sure about Thomas Cook.

For us, the non-stop part was very good and when speaking to people who travel to Goa on scheduled flights who asked why we booked charter, that was always our answer.

Now the Monarch flights aren't non-stop, we will probably consider scheduled, either on Qatar via Doha and into Goa or via Mumbai and down to Goa on a domestic flight.
Not booking a package will give us a greater choice of accommodation too as well as different departure days instead of just Saturday.

Regards
Glad I popped on here. I was going to ask about the extra leg room seats on the A330 for a flight to Goa next December, but it seems that may not be possible.

Maybe I'll stick with Thomson's.

Gets harder to get to Goa every year.
Mobor One,

There are extra legroom seating onboard the aircraft (A330 and A300), but these need booking in advance due to limited availability.

Darren
According to their website, it looks like they've put some of the Saturday flights back to non stop.
Would I need to book the holiday and then get on to Monarch to book the leg room? If so, any idea of the cost?
Hi everyone, just jumping in to answer some of your questions and queries. The premium cabin is available on our Banjul, Goa, Grenada & Tobago and our Florida flights. The aircraft which we have the premium cabin in is the A330s and the reconfigured A300. You can only book the premium cabin through your tour operator but they'll be more than happy to arrange that for you. I hope this helps? If you need to contact us directly to ask a question we're happy to help you on Twitter (@monarch) and facebook dot com/monarch from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. We're also contactable by email and phone - there are details on our website.

Look forward to hearing from you!

VC
Customer Services, Monarch Airlines
Hi bit stuck I am flying to Goa sat didnt know anything about flights stopping in Kuwait..how long do they stop for?

Also will I arrive Sunday in Goa at 10 am ?

MON2490/14JAN LGWGOI 1725.1000
MON2491/05FEB GOILGW 1200.1955
Hi Dazbo

I have booked the following flights to paphos from lgw

22 august
ZB786 9:30 15:45

30 august
zb783 4:55 7:35

the return flight is no longer showing as bookable on the Monarch website, i have had no contact from Monarch since the booking advising of cancellations etc. It also doesn't appear in the timetable for the whole summer.

Has this been removed from the schedule?
vegasome,

Some Goa flights have had an aircraft change from an Airbus A330-200 to an Airbus A300B4-605R. Due to the change, the aircraft requires a technical stop for fuel onroute. I believe the stop is 3 hours. As the flight is overnight outbound, it's 10am the following morning you'll arrive in Goa. The only change is the aircraft type, the slightly longer flight time and later arrival.

Darren
thank you ..is that on the way back we stop aswell
vegasone,

It's both ways as the aircraft doesn't have the range. Endurance wise, it's slightly further inbound due to prevailing winds.

Darren
LAX2000,

Unless you've been contacted by Monarch or your travel agent, there are no changes to your flights. If in doubt, give them a call.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.