Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
dose the winglets make the wingspan bigger on arrival at la romana there were 4 thomson flights birmingham gatwick manchester and glasgow, i never saw the bhx plane as it departed before we got to departures gatwick was on runway but manchester was right in from of us on tarmac which was an ex first choice aircraft non wingleted the galsgow one ex first choice but wingleted looked bigger?
allymc1,

The addition of winglets does increase the wingspan slightly, yes; 167ft / 50.6m compared to 156ft / 47.3m of the non-wingletted aircraft. The winglets on the 767-300/ER are 11ft / 3.3m tall, huge things! The winglets on the 757-200's are 8ft / 2.5m tall with an additional 10ft / 3.0m wingspan over the non-wingletted aircraft.

Darren
they don't make a significant difference to span or an example of what they look like thos cook 763 with winglets {around 11 ft long}

wiz
Thanks for the reply Dazbo. Son isn't here at the moment but I believe he's flying Bristol to cancun either 22nd or 25th May. Thanks
Is it too early to ask whether my flight will be a Thomson or FC plane flying from Bristol to Heraklion in August . Dont have flight numbers but paper work says Thomson Airways . The reason i am asaking is that we flew Thomson to Tunisia in Oct but came back on FC plane which we felt more cramped on .
Llindy,

It is a little early as aircraft are rotated on a regular basis and can change. BRS-HER-BRS (TOM6452/3) are operated by a Boeing 757-200. The reason the First Choice aircraft felt a little more crampt is due to the seat design. Even though officially both have the same seat pitch, you'll notice the ex-Thomsonfly (blue leather) aircraft have slimline Recaro seats fitted as part of the Boeing Enhanced Interior pack installed, in ~2005. The seats are a lot thinner and the seat back pocket is positioned at the top of the seat back rather than in the knee area, giving you more space. The ex-First Choice aircraft (green leather) have the older style seats that are a lot thicker with the seat back pocket in the knee area, giving you less room.

Darren
thank you Darren , will probably ask again nearer departure date
We are flying to La Romana, Dominican Republic on 16th July and back on 30th July. We have upgraded to premium and would really appreciate some advice, because we booked the flights and accommodation separately through an agent and have got different info on phone to confirmation:
1. what luggage allowance per person is there?
2. do we have to pay extra to pre-book seats?
3. when can we pre-book seats?
4. what seats should we aim for when booking (and any to definitely avoid)? We want 3 not split by aisle so little one can sleep across us (and which recline so we canget some sleep).
5. can we check in the night before and does it make any difference?
sorry about all the questions but agent appears not interested now that we have booked, and now says luggage could be zero but does not know until tickets arrive although originally said 23kg - big difference.
Daz - You have said that I will be flying on a 757-200 winglets for my flight to ssh ( tom 844/5 ) bt when I look at the cabin shots it looks like this plane is 3 /3. I have just booked my seats and I am on a plane which is 2/4/2....is this a different plane and will I still only get aisle TV's?
britabroad,

Thomson airways aircraft schedule is showing BHX-SSH-BHX (TOM844/5) as operated by a Boeing 757-200 (winglets). If the seating plan on the online system is showing 2-4-2, they must have increased capacity to a Boeing 767-300/ER. How many rows of seats is it showing? This isn't reflected in the aircraft schedule however. If the flight has been upgraded, then yes, seat back IFE should be available. It's not the full long haul product however. You'll find further aircraft information on our What aircaft? guide (link below).

Darren
I cant get back onto the web page now but I have booked seats in row 42 and there were still at least 6 rows behind me.....

Seat back IFE will be great as I cant stand trying to watch the aisle TV's.....
diamond57,

Welcome onboard :tup
You luggage allowance is 23kg per person with 7kg hand luggage. This should be confirmed on your booking confirmation and ticket when you get them. Pre-booked seating together should be included, do you mean select you seats? You can select your seats from 3 months prior to your departure date. Seating is personal preference. All seats offer the same facilities. The aircraft configuration is 2-3-2 so you want centre seats (C/D/E). flights are operated by a Boeing 767-300/ER. You'll findlots of aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below). If you live close to the airport, day before check-in can be useful to beat the queues the morning after. However if you aren't close, getting everyone to the airport the day before isn't always a time saver. All pasengers must be present at check-in. It makes it easier on the day, but if it's going to take you 2 hours to get too/from the airport and check in the day before, it's hardly worth it to beat a 30 minute queue for example.

Darren
britabroad,

It's a short haul configured Boeing 767-304/ER in that case, not a long haul aircraft.

Darren
Darren, is there a midnight check in at manchester, for early flight to alicante, 6-15am 10-june, on thomsons web site it refers to this, we plan to get to airport, around 02-00 am on the morning, any info please would be of help.

Driving down from North- east...... snowey.. :cheers :cheers
Have you got any cabin views of the plane
snowey,

There should be a check-in desk open from 0000 available for flights departure before 0800. I've never used it myself personally as there's no reason to be at the airport that early, nothing will be open. Seats are pre-allocated so it's not like you can choose a specific seat at check-in or anything by arriving early. The airport will be very quiet at that time of day and things don't start opening until 0400. The last time I checked in for an 0600 flight, I walked straight to the check-in desk at 4am, straight through security and was in the departure lounge for 4.15am!

Darren
britabroad,

I don't have any cabin photos to hand of the short haul 763's with seat back IFE. However if you imagine seat back screen fitted to the Thomas Cook 763's, you'll get the idea.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.