Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Totally agree with you Darren, my last 6 or so flights have been with hand luggage only and to be honest, compared to other peoples hand luggage my flight bag looks like a small evening bag :yikes
Hi guys, just a quick query requiring reply before Friday please. I can never remember whether we're allowed to pack a travel iron in hand luggage or do all electricals go in hold. To save space I'd like to take it in my hand luggage. Also, can anyone see any probs in taking a small packet of teabags in hand luggage too? thaks.
shirley h,

You can pack your travel iron in hand luggage if you wish, although it's normally advisable to put it in your cheched-in luggage if you can then you're not lugging weight around with you. You shouldn't have any problems with tea bags. Have a great holiday :cheers

Darren
Thanks Darren, I'm only taking one case this time instead of 2 (between us). It's full to the brim and I don't fancy squeezing anything else in. My travel iron can go in hubby's hand luggage as there won't be much else in it. Thanks for the speedy reply.
Thanks for all your help with advice about carry on luggage. My bag is within size limit (just) and on target for 10kg weight, will be cross if it's not accepted!! :yikes
Hi, we are travelling with a 5 month old baby to Cyprus at the end of the month. She is lactose intolerant and has special milk on prescription. This means I cannot buy the made up cartons once through security, and I am really worried about how I am going to manage as the timings mean she will need 4 feeds between leaving home and arriving in Ayia Napa. I was planning on the std boiled water in bottles with measured out powder. Will this be allowed through? Thanks
Welcome to the forums, cluttermeleon.

Under current restrictions on liquid related products (detailed on page 1 of this topic), liquid baby food or sterilised water, sufficient for the journey, can be taken through airport security. The accompanying adult will be required to verify by tasting.

David :wave
Thanks for that was a bit worried it was only made up formual allowed, feel better now!
I began this topic as getting frustrated about hand luggage sizes...I first flew about 3 yrs ago with ryan air....though I had numerous small holdalls that I had accumulated over the years ( I am a known hoarder...dont throw anything away I could remotely need or find a use for in the future) I could not find holdalls that would suit in my collection....there were 4 of us traveling so I spent a lot of time before we flew going round the shops armed with my tape measure...untill I atlast found a suitable bag for each of us...this was an additional cost on my holiday ...never mind I thought once bought would be reused in the future....

Silly me. :duh ...as the next time we flew was with a different airline....suppose you can guess what Im going to say....the new bags Id bought werent a suitable size as Olympic state different size hand luggage from ryanair....so out I went again bag shopping armed with my tape measure... as not only the new hand luggage but also the others I had were the wrong size...

Now this year we are flying twice....in july and again in august...one flight is with thomas cook and the other with thomsons.....guess what :cry ....they both have different hand baggage sizes....quess something else....the one needed for the thomas cook flight is also a different size than ryanair and olyimpic.....(just realised I can use my ryanair bags for thomson flight as same size ) and yes before you ask non of my old bags are the right size either.....and I really think thigs are getting daft if I need go buy another new bag each to comply when we take our flights this summer.

:banghead: Isint it time the airlines got their heads together and came up with a common regulation size....so manufacturers can make a flight bag that suits all airlines . :fly

I checked out hand luggage size on the airlines I thought popular....and to be able to buy one that would do all I calculated it would need to be the lowest of the height length and depth stated for each airline.....this is 20cm x 28cm x 43cm .....

Below is a list of the airlines I checked out and their stated hand baggage size incase any one needs it..

thomas cook....23 x 28 x 43
thompson........20 x 40 x 55 ............update...from 5th may.....25 x 45 x 55
easy jet..........20 x 40 x 55
ryanair........... 20 x 40 x 55
jet2...............26 x 38 x 50
virgin atlantic..23 x 36 x 56
olympic..........23 x 36 x 56
BMI...............23 x 40 x 55
british airways 25 x 45 x 56
monarch.........25 x 45 x 56
flybe............. 23 x35 x 50
Any one know any more ...could be helpful to someone

while Im here can any one tell me how strict thomas cook are about bag sizes...they state 23 x 28 x 43 for hand baggage....I have a bag that is 23 x 27 x 45.....1cm lower but 2cm longer...will they be funny about the extra 2cm in length....or will I be OK
TWEETIE PIE,

This is why it's paramount you always check with the airline what their luggage allowances are as they all vary and are regularly updated. With regards to TCX, your bag will be fine. They are strict, but as long as you can squeeze it in to the measuring basket, you'll be fine. They aren't too bothered about an odd cm, it's when you turn up with a suitcase and want to take it in to the cabin you have problems (i've seen it with my own eyes!!)

Darren
you had me worried there.. my flight bag [which i have been using for the last 8 yrs is 36 wide 22 deep 32 high its never been rejected [but its also never exceeded 5kg] and has been used on ..Thomson,First-choice,Air-tours,Thomas-Cook,Eurocypria,Onuair,Monarch,Ryan-air, the late lamented Excel and even more lamented Helios and a few more i cant remember

wizard

oh cyprus airways
thanks dazbo and wizard....probably just me....worrying too much...but like to keep to what they ask if I can....so as sure as I can be I wont have any problems.....knowing my luck Id get the " more than my jobs worth" check in clerk or the airline would decide to tighten things up and instigate a complete compliance rule...which they can do as its entirely at there own discretion how lax or stringent they are about carrying through the weight and size of luggage rules
Thomson from 1 May is 5kg for hand baggage (max. dimensions: 55x45x25cm).
thaks snowy boy....when I first saw your post I thought oh no...but the ryanair bags are smaller so can still use them....will need to buy some for my thomascook though and thats the first one....as only got 1 and so need another 3
Try Wilkinson good bags on wheels correct size for Ryanair £14.00
thanks snowboy.....sorry think Ive mixed you up.....am going away twice ....with thomascook in july... and then thomsons in august....have bags bought for ryanair ...think same or similar to the ones you suggest...they are also the right size to use in august for thomson flight.......but they wont do for the thomascook flight in july as too big.....ryan air are 20 x 40 x 55. .....thomas cook want 23 x 28 x 43.....
Had no idea each airline had different dimensions for their handluggage - I had wrongly assumed they were all a standard size. Couldn't help but notice that Thomas Cook's hand baggage dimensions are substantially smaller than the others though. Must bear that in mind for in future.
checked dimensions for hand luggage with Flybe as son's flying with them with work tomorrow. They are -
Flybe - 50x35x23
thanks shirley....yet a different one...have edited my original post to add it on ....also thanks for thompson update snowboy have added it too

just for intrest....up till now we have 12 airlines...and 8 different bag sizes....hope some one from the airlines reads through this topic at some time....if they strictly implimented bag size....and you traveled a lot and used different airlines ...think howmany bags you would need ...times it by a family...might make you stick to the best to find bag airline.... :rofl .......am being silly now
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.