Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
lap top
950 Posts
Generally laptops can be carried in addition to your hand baggage.

Any laptop carried in hand luggage should be removed from hand baggage at security to ease progress.

Always better to check with your carrier.

Nivsy
I've always regarded my laptop as part of my hand baggage allowance. :que

luci :wave
dragon07,

It depends on the airline you are travelling with. Some include it as an item of hand luggage (ie you can only take one piece, including a laptop), some regard it as a laptop on it's own and can take it in addition to a piece of hand luggage.

Darren
Its a fair point Luci,

And as Dazbo says - general rule of thumb check with your carrier and it can depend on the airport that you are using.

Many people do try and have the laptop in hand baggage. Its one of these iffy issues for the joy of flying.

Recently I have had no problems with lap top being carried separately on major scheduled UK carriers using BAA airports.

Suppose best thing is to check on booking with carrier.

Nivsy
hi

weve just come back and travelled with thomas cook...they classed my husbands laptop as his carry on baggage and made him empty his rucksack until it weighed 5kilos....he had to put some of his stuff in my bag...but there wasnt a problem....on the way back at diabolical airport they didnt even weigh his rucksack but he was made to remove his laptop at least 5 times to show customs

angie xx
Hi there,

I'm going on holiday with First Choice in July.

We are allowed hand baggage of up to 5kg. Do they weigh this? I've never ever had hand luggage weighed as far as I've been aware.

I am going for 2 weeks and I take a lot of stuff with me, I don't want to have my suitcase over weight and be hammered with extra charges so I am buying one of those small suitcase that you can take on as hand luggage (I have measured and checked with airline restrictions it's a perfect size) We are allowed 5kg but I suspect I will be over that. I know that we have to be able to lift it in to the overhead locker so it can't be a ton.

So does hand baggage get weighed? As long as I am capable of placing it over head myself I will be ok?

Ta
The chartered airlines seem to be really tightening up on hand baggage :( The last few times I've flown my hand baggage has been weighed and even the kids backpacks have been ordered to be removed and weighed. The problem with those cabin cases is that they weigh so much empty - you're better off with a lightweight nylon holdall that weighs virtually nothing.

The last time we flew with Thomas Cook, they were making people take items out of their hand baggage if it was over 5Kg and put it into their hold baggage at check in. There is no option to pay excess baggage on the hand allowance I'm afraid!

Having said this, we usually take one bag between us within the permitted dimensions which holds books, glasses, sunglasses, camera, camcorder, plastic bag with the various tiny liquid allowances, snacks, sweets, magazines, iPod, 2 Gameboys etc. and its still only 4Kg or so ..... how much more can one need on the aircraft :rofl
I certainly wouldn't risk my hand luggage being overweight nowadays with the way some airlines sting you. I managed to pick up a lovely lightweight nylon sports bag in Tesco recently for £3 which is strong enough to take everything I need. Although I've got a couple of the small trolley suitcases I don't use them, as even empty they weigh quite a bit.
Princess*Nicky wrote:
We are allowed hand baggage of up to 5kg. Do they weigh this? I've never ever had hand luggage weighed as far as I've been aware.

I travel with FCA (Thomsonfly / Thomson Airways) quite regularly and I'd say hand luggage has been looked at and weighed on 50% of the flights. If the bag looks big or heavy, they'll generally ask to see it and weight it if necassary. It's often done visually at the check-in agents discretion. They'll normally give you a 'hand luggage' label to put on it if it's been inspected. I'm taking a lot of camera equipment to Kenya in a couple of weeks with them and have made sure the things i'll need during the flight, and fragile bits are in hand luggage and I'm just about within the 5kg limit. Everything else that is non-fragile is going in the suitcase. I wouldn't risk it personally.

Darren
Thanks for the replies.
Maybe I should just get a light weight bag and put all my bits in and weigh it and see.
I honestly didn't know they weighed hand luggage. I've been lucky in the past I think.
I've got 25kg altogether so I should be alright, if my case is 1 or 2 over hopefully they will let us off but I will be prepared to pay.
Have just read on pegasus airline website that there are liquid limits on hand luggage from 1st March!!!anybody else know anything about this,rules the same as here,no more than 100ml in plastic bags.
Crispy,

I don't see any reference to liquid limits on the hand luggage section of Pegasus website? The only restrictions are at UK airports. It wouldn't make sense to not allow liquids purchased airside on to aircraft, eg drinks.

Darren
Crispy,

It's just an extension of the European restrictions currently in force. No change really for us.

Darren
This liquid restriction is on flights from Turkey from 1st March.
Crispy,

There's a thread over on the Turkey forum regarding the extension of liquids in hand luggage regulations to Turkey.

Darren
Im just going to take a laptop carry case for my tickets, documents and camera etc.

Hopefully this should be ok, i was going to take a ruck sack but there wouldnt be much point as i would have so little in it.
Hi all,has anyone any experience of taking a guitar abroad,can you take it on the plane with you or do you have to check it in?
It might well depend on the airline! I'd contact them, but I would also suggest that I wouldn't trust a guitar to Ryanair at all ....................
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.