Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
they must all have differrent size and shape boxes....it would be economically sensible to have standard size and therefore standard sizing boxes as mass production saves money....and people could buy the right bag...and reuse it on any flight....luggage sets would always be a complete set inclusive of correct size hand luggage....its all to simple though...so will never happen...

You're right, it will never happen because the planes aren't standardised either. The available hand luggage space per passenger will depend on both the size and type of aircraft being used and the seat pitch and hence how many passengers are crammed into the available space. This is usually why the full service scheduled operators have more generous allowances than the 'pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap' no frills and charter operators. It's one reason why I preferred flying to Cuba with Cubana than MyTravel/Thomas Cook - more room for me, a more generous approach to hand luggage and a whopping 30kgs of checked in baggage! Worth putting up with Cubana cabin crew for that sort of luggage allowance :-)

SM
Don't know whether this is the right forum but my daughter would like to know if she can bring a bottle through onto the flight for her 7 month old child?
Yes, she can. They may ask her to taste it though.
can anyone confirm if inhalers (astma type) are classed as a liquid for security purposes?
matty2303,

They're medicine so can be taken onboard in hand luggage (take them through security in a clear plastic bag). You are permitted to take enough for the duration of the flight and a spare just in case of delay.

Darren
Am I allowed to carry suncream in my hand luggage? These bottles put extra weight in the hold luggage, between the bottles of different suncreams, bottles of aftersun, bottles of stuff to keep the mozzies at bay etc. Would rather use room in my case for more clothes!
digby,

Suncream is classed as a liquid / gel so you won't be permitted to carry it through security unless it's in quantities of 100ml or less, and in a clear plastic bag up to 1L. If you want to take bottles of suncream, they'll have to go in your case. The alternative is to purchase them in the deprture lounge (eg Boots) or in resort (expensive normaly).

Darren
Thanks, Dazbo. That's a pity, but understandable, and as you say the suncream is expensive at the airport. Thanks again.
Digby
the problem with not taking your own in hold luggage is that you may not be able to get exactly what you want, even in shops airside (Boots DO sometimes have the BOGOF offers) and especially in resort.

I prefer to sacrifice some weight to ensure I have the SPF and brand that I know suits me.
It also gives you some extra weight allowance on your return in the event you've bought some items.
Why not just take a very large bottle of a high factor cream which everyone can use. We are advised to only use high factors anyway.

Pippa
Thanks everyone for answers. I have already bought my suncream as I like to have everything before I get to the airport. It's just a pain having the extra weight. I do travel lighter coming back as apart from leaving all the bottles behind, I also leave any cheap strappy tops etc in the bin and if the maid can use them that's fine, especially in places like Bulgaria where they don't get much pay. I also leave cheap flip flops etc.
help please dazbo again,we travelling with 10month old tot next wed to izmir,been trying to get through to thomas cook for advice on all the baby food.what can we take in hand luggage to feed him with during the journey as in bottle he would normally have for night feed and other bits we can give him during flight.also can we put his baby juice in hand luggage,also can we take basically anything in hold luggage that we want?cant seem to find general guidelines anywhere.panicking abit now!
cheers laingy
laingy,

We've been asked the same question a couple of times recently and I can't find where I posted the answer :duh

You can take enough formula milk for the duration of the journey but you might get asked to taste it by security staff. No doubt he'll be on more solid (liquidised) and tastey things by now though! Same applies, you can take enough for the duration of the flight, ideally in pots smaller than 100ml. You might get asked to taste it by security staff to prove it's what it is. Solid foods you won't have a problem with. You'll find more information on the DfT's website.

Darren
Hi laingy .. I have transferred your enquiry (and Dazbo's reply) to the correct topic, you will find current guidelines on page 1.

David :wave
Hi,

Will i be permitted to take the key for my suitcase as hand luggage or is it classed as a weapon?

thanks in advance

PS. does all hand luggage for thomson airways have to be in a clear bag or can it be in a small breifcase?
alexblfc,

You'll not have a problem with a key looking like a weapon! You'd be a little stuck if you couldn't take the key for your suitcase with you. Only liquids and gels etc need to be in a clear plastic bag for inspection at security.

Darren
it should be in a flight bag of the size specified on the Thomson web site, ALL liquids/creams/pastes must be in a separate plastic bag [again size etc as first post in this thread] not exceeding 100ml per item and not exceeding 1lt in total for separate scanning
My husband has a really good camera. He says he will not trust it in his hold luggage. Will he be allowed to carry it as hand luggage? thanks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.