General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I noticed 1.24 on that link. The highest I saw in town this morning was 1.22. If it's still holding or going up next week, I'll be getting some for my summer jollies :tup
Helen T wrote:
I noticed 1.24 on that link.

I think €1.24 is more or less the stock market price for the euro, and the shops usauly give below this rate

But as for the current rate, which is €1.22, Im hoping by next Fri 18 may, we will see a rate of €1.24 in the shops, and if this is correct, and the euro keeps rising then, for july it could top €1.38, but this is a wild guess, its more likely to be around €1.30
so would your advice be to hang on then? - not that I'll hold you to it :D
Helen T wrote:
so would your advice be to hang on then? - not that I'll hold you to it :D

I buying afew euros here and there over the next couple of weeks, but the main bulk of my euro purchase, will buy nearer July

One suggestion I have seen when deciding to hold of on buying any euros, is to set a min rate watch, so if the euro goes below €1.21, you dont hang about you buy

But if it keeps going up, you min rate which you will buy goes up, so if the rate drops by €0.03, so it might be best to buy before it drops any futher

so so far I have bought £125 @ €1.20, following week, £80 @ €1.2265, and next week £80 @ hopefully €1.23
I think Tesco have a good exchange rate at the moment , i got more Lira for the Pound when buying for my daughter recently and they will also price match within a five mile radius
To answer earlier query re cash advance charges on debit cards - I used my Natwest card to purchase euros online about 1 month ago -and I haven't been charged,so looks like RBS/Natwest have dropped the advance cash charge at least. Don't think the ruling applied to credit cards tho'. :que
PS As another poster I thought that the fact that the UK had gone back into recession meant that 1.19 to the £ was about as good as it was going to get; Didn't allow for European elections ! Should have waited a few weeks!!
My advice, which I wish I'd took myself, is if you're not going till July then buy them now at this good rate but pay the couple of quid so that they buy them back at the same rate as they sold them. That way if the rate goes up to say 1.30 by July you can always sell them back to the shop and then buy them again at the new rate! I know asda do this and a few others too!
chivas69, A very good point I have never seen mentioned before or thought about myself
Chivas69 wrote:
My advice, which I wish I'd took myself, is if you're not going till July then buy them now at this good rate but pay the couple of quid so that they buy them back at the same rate as they sold them. That way if the rate goes up to say 1.30 by July you can always sell them back to the shop and then buy them again at the new rate! I know asda do this and a few others too!

I don't know about ASDA but when I looked into this last year I found that there was always a clause in the small print to stop you using the buyback service in this way. Thomson's service is limited to £200 and Sainsbury's is limited to 31 days after purchase :(
Phildo- I thought there would be some clause otherwise loads of people would be clued up to it.
greece have failed to form a government so there will be re-elections. The premise is that it's going to push Greece ever closer to the slippery slope of leaving the Euro. It's wiped billions off the world's stock markets.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/14/eu-greece-grexit-idUSL5E8GEH7W20120514
Current rate of the Euro on the stock market exchange is €1.2537, now what is it going to be at by the end of the week
I think I'll get some while the going's good :tup
Helen, you'd better hold off. the way it's going Greece will be back to the drachma by the time we go :think
greece have failed to form a government so there will be re-elections

Sorry, that statement wasn't 100% correct with me and I can't edit.

It looks likely that there will be re-elections
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18063092
shirley h wrote:
Helen, you'd better hold off. the way it's going Greece will be back to the drachma by the time we go :think

This is from digital spy

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=58217788

If this is true, then you might be right helen, so possible Greece election in June, think we all know which way its going to go, Greece leave the Euro in July and trade in drachma
oops! I'd better change my plans then :think
It's all very uncertain at this stage but it's very possible so that's why I'm not rushing out to get my euros. We go to Corfu in August so if the Greek currency is drachma by then how will it effect us British tourists? Will we have a good exchange rate and what will prices out there be like? I have absolutely no idea.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.