General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
If your able to get to ICE Waterloo, london they have a current rate of 1.2430

All you need to do to get this rate, is print of the voucher
Just another idea that might be of interest, I got a visa pre paid card, initially just so I didn't have to pay additional booking fees to Ryanair (since changed) however I now use it all the time when abroad, pay in restaurants, shops etc and get money out ATM's without any fee's and the rate is generally slightly above what we can get here, today it is 1.2210

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/
I used to use my nationwide flex card to withdraw money from the ATMs whilst only taking enough currency with me for the first day or two. i stopped this practice once Nationwide started charging. I've now got their credit card that doesn't charge a fee for purchases abroad so I will probably use it if I need to hire a quad or make any other significant purchases. Not sure how well accepted credit cards are in Greek restaurants.

That Ice rate is very good but unfortunately London is a bit out of my way (I live in Wales lol)
I used to use my nationwide flex card to withdraw money from the ATMs whilst only taking enough currency with me for the first day or two.

Me too but even with the charges it still slightly works out better than the high street as long as you withdraw the maximum for each time (300 euros if in a euro zone) It's 2% plus £1 for each transaction so on €300 it's about £5.80 charge but you get the Visa rate which is normally about 3 cents to the pound better off meaning it's better than the high street!
shirley h wrote:
Not sure how well accepted credit cards are in Greek restaurants

...got back from Rhodes a few hours ago...many of the smaller tavernas not accepting any cards altho' there are still Mastercard/Visa stickers on windows ...did use Mastercard for car hire with no problems.
Today's rate in Cash a Cheque Bedford 1.225 euro to the pound
I've been keeping a daily eye on the business rate and it hit 1.25 again a few days ago but I think I'm being too greedy and I've missed the boat. it's dropping again now- was 1.24 yesterday and this morning it's just over 1.23 :think Now should I grab it now or hope it will rise slightly again in the next couple of weeks?
Fill yer boots - IMHO if the BOE announce more quantitative easing the £ will drop vs euro quite significantly/
Shirley, I've noticed for about a month now that the euro does tend to gain against the pound on a friday but by monday or tuesday the pounds come in strong again!
So I best order mine one Friday then :cheers
I ordered mine friday and got 1.22 .. they were delivered yesterday morning . I hadnt really been checking frequently though and as we go thursday time had run out to start now . More than happy with that rate :)
Our hotel bill will need paying on check out and I will just have a take a chance on that because it will have to go on my CC as will the dive bill ..although I have a feeling they only take cash for that and I will then have to draw it from an ATM.
We also pay for our accomodation on check-out but we pay in euros and the amount has already been agreed so the exchanbe rate won't matter for that.
Ours is in Euros & agreed too shirley but as we are paying by CC the exchange rate will matter when they convert it to pounds on my bill .
lynwestie wrote:

Ours is in Euros & agreed too shirley but as we are paying by CC the exchange rate will matter when they convert it to pounds on my bill .

ah, I'm with you. :think It will be the same for us then.
Lyn if you don't want to carry the €'s for your accommodation have you thought about a prepaid Euro card?
I have got one of those cards Glynis and if I had the spare cash I'd load it for the accomodation but the spending money and diving will wipe us out so will need to pay on the CC and buy myself some extra time .. Im too used to A/I .. not used to budgeting for loads of spending money , in fact I'd forgotten about it until l a few weeks ago :yikes
Where do you get the prepaid euro cards and do all the hoteliers accept them please?
Argh sorry glynis prepaid EURO card .. Mine is just a prepaid mastercard. :duh

I know a lot of the currency exchange people offer them to you .. Is that the sort of thing you mean ??
Shirley

You can get pre loaded cards from travelex and Thomas cook instead of carrying around , say for example 1000 euros , they load it onto a card and you can then use it like a debit card , it's sort of more safe than carrying money around , you can use the card in restaurants and hotels where they would accept bank/credit cards . I'm sure there is a thread on here with more information and how they work.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.