General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Re: The Euro.
193 Posts
:duh ....ye :duh yep 1.229......means 166 euros better of....bet that woke you all up though.... :rofl ... me trying to have to many balls in the air at the same time...tweetie

ps...can you edit that post for me me please
I was looking at tesco travel money and you can order online and pick up in their stores ( travelex box) next day the rate today was 1.229 , I'm hoping the rate keeps going up as I'm off to Tenerife in just over 3 weeks time and have agreed to pay the villa rent in euros , I've only paid a 10 per cent deposit and the rest is cash on arrival , so my holiday is going down in price each day :D And eating out etc is going to be cheaper as I'm getting more euros for my money , it all sounds like good news but if this euro crisis isn't resolved I'm sure its going to be costing me and everyone else a lot more in the future than what I'm saving now .
At the moment Id be happy to accept a rate of 1.20 and stability across the euro zone because the uncertainty is damaging , there's a run on the banks in Greece and the government will run out of money to pay public employees by June unless they get things under control , the whole situation is a real mess ,
We go to Rhodes in just over 3 weeks time - because of the situation I'm taking all my money as cash - not really happy to be carrying ~ £1000 of euros but I'm worried that the banks will be cleared out of cash if the Greeks start hoarding euros, fearing a return to a devalued drachma. I've bought mine already, some @ 1.19 and some @ 1.22.
Also suspect that credit cards will be harder than ever to use as cash will be king whoever wins the election. :que
Like Andy, we are going to Greece in the summer and have booked our accomodation direct with the hotel. We've paid a deposit in euros and are paying the balance in euros on arrival. I'm wondering if the hotelier will now ask us for more money due to the value of the euro. What constitutes a contract? all we have is an e-mail outlining the deposit we've paid and the balance amount payable in euros. Could they say that due to the value of the euro the accomodation has increased in price?
Not 100% shirley, but I would imagine you will be charged as per the exchange rate on the day that the money changes hands - do you have anything on documents you have been sent/emailed.

I have booked hotels via booking.com and when you settle up on check out of the hotel you just pay at that days rate.
The price has been agreed and will be paid in Euros Doe, so we should be better off the way things are going. I was just wondering whether they're going to say the price has changed from X amount of euros to y amount of euros, if you get what I mean.
Shirley if they've said it's €800 for example, then it's €800. I doubt they'd charge you less if the boot was on the other foot ;)
Im out here now, no one i have talked to see's the remotest chance of Greece leving the euro [its a long shot that may happen] the only advice i can give is if you bring euro as i did make it in small bills [5,10,&20 's]

yasus from sunny zakynthos

wiz
Yes that's the advice I've been hearing Wiz and will heed it :cheers Leave some metaxa and Ouzo for me please.
just got 1000 euros cost me £813 from fair fx more money now for :cheers :sun2
I noticed the rate had hit 1.25 again first thing this morning. i am being greedy and keeping my eye on it for another week or so to see if I can squeeze a bit more out of it.
im hoping to see the pound rise again with the news that Cyprus is now in need of a bail out [on euro per person its worse than Greece but not as bad as Italy so im told]
Wiz, I've been reading it could go either way. With the Spain and Italy situation worsening, we could get a better deal on the exchange rate but if the UK government introduce the quantative Easing they are talking about in the next couple of weeks, we will see the pound get weaker. I'm keeping a very close eye on things. I have already bought half my currency but will order the rest when I think the time is right :tup
hmm think I will order some tonight . My hotel bill is payable on checkout so I'll have to take my chances on that one because I will be paying on my CC but Im going to change up my spending money now I think .. Have considered only getting half and leaving the balance to draw from the ATM .. Any thoughts people :)
I can't find anywhere near 1.25 euros to the pound can I ask where this is available please
Shrimper that's the business rate and not the rate that's offered in the exchange bureaus. that's the one I've been looking at to give me an idea of whether the rate's increasing or decreasing. The last time the business rate was 1.25, we were getting between 1.21 and 1.22.
1.21 in Benidorm today at the eurotabaco exchange place, no movement there since early May when it was fluctuating between 1.20 & 1.21, I got that rate and changed an extra £500 ready for my visit to Spain on Friday.

If I get that rate in the resort next week changing TC's, I will be satisfied after the abysmal rate we have had in the last few years.

Sanji
Yes Sanji I'd also be happy with 1.21. I exchanged £700 worth a few weeks ago when I got 1.21- I was hoping for a little more before exchanging more but I will happily settle for that if it hasn't gone up in another week. Knowing my luck it will have come down :(
Just checked the rate at Rubens in Benalmadena 1.23 to the £
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.