Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Oh and we would like to do various day trips including the trip to Cairo, would that be affected?

You can't edit an orginal post for some reason.
I have not been in Sharm during Ramadan but I have been in Luxor whilst it is taking place, twice. Quite honestly it seemed to make very little difference to shopkeepers and the like. The hotels all operated as normal. We did a trip to Cairo by plane during Ramadan and apart from a slight delay at the airport (which may have been due to anything!) there was no problem.

These people have to work every day to make a living and it seems that they can keep up their religious traditions without interfering with business.
Hi Lou, i am also going to Sharm on the 21 sept :) where abouts are you staying?
You're quite right carrot, nothing will be closed and excursions won't be affected. The egyptians just work around Ramadan, it's normal for them.
Hey Phyll, :)
Looks like we will be going to the Reef Oasis Beach Resort. Of what is available it looks like it has the best facilities and reviews :)

How about you?

Thanks all for the replies :)
We went at Ramadan last year. The only thing we noticed was that you couldnt buy alcohol at certain places until a certain time. I think it was about 5 in the evening.
Hi Lou, i am staying at The Conrad, flying with First Choice on the 1335
flight...have a lovely holiday :)
Hi

Any info would be welcome on this subject for all you holidaymkers who have been while this is taking place.
I have recently booked for the new FC HV for september 2008 in sharm, I have never been to Egypt before so I got afew brochures on saturday just to get some info.
While reading in the " things to know " bit it stated that some hotels in egypt will apply to ramadan as the staff and other people have to relate to this, this basically stated that no food an drink untill night time, this got me thinking well how can the hotels do this espesially A FC one british orientated, now just found out that ramadan is parts of sept and oct when we will be there.
so if anyone can throw any light on this have you been to Egypt during Ramadan is this correct ( really cant imagine it is ) but you never know.
If I go to FC all they might tell me is you ll be alright, rather hear it from people who have had this experience.
replys will be much appreciated as at the minute thinking of cancelling.

thank you
Dont worry, they wont let you starve. Food and drink will be availabe as per brochure in your hotel but you may find some restaurants in Naama Bay will be closed until sunset and smoking and eating in public (i.e, in the street) will be frowned upon. You need to appreciate you are visiting a different culture and as so, things are done differently.
I dont think Ramadam will be during September in 2008 as it was in October in 2006.I cant remember if it occurs every 10months or every 14 months. Just checked and Ramadan in 2008 is from Sept 2nd -October2nd!
Hi

thanks to both who have replied, to jay I still catch a bit of these dates as we go 27/09/08, and agent q a bit of reassurance there thanks, actually went to FC yesterday and spoke to them, women there says nothing to worry about as it is a british orientated hotel and they wouldnt expect the guests to take part in rammadan (good of them ) so put mind a bit at ease , untill we get there(lol)...... just cant understand why put this in the back of a first choice brochure if it does nt affect hotels, can understand outside the complex as you stated agentq but in the hotels ??????
anyway more replies if poss will be welcome
thanks again
Ramadan in 2008 will start on Tuesday, the 2nd of September and will continue for 30 days until Wednesday, the 1st of October.
if you staying in sharm dont worry allwill be ok i been many times in ramadam also if you are there for end of ramadam its really nice no one will look upon on you if you eat in the day light hours so . enjoy
Might be worth your while checking out this thread where I posted links to several past Ramadan discussions earlier in the year.
absolute rubbish, the last thing egyptians in beach resorts would expect is that tourists would spoil their holidays by refraining from food or drink, fasting is for muslims and is not enforced, it would be a nice gesture to refrain from public display of food and drink when you're on the streets but you're not obliged to do that.

inside hotels, you can eat and drink and do your usual things normally!
Hello all, thinking of booking a late deal to luxor, would be interested to learn of whether it would be ok to go to luxor during Ramadan, and what problems could arise. Generaly any relevant info about sights,trips,food etc. thanks in advance. K. :sun2
Ramadan started on the 28th of august, All trips and other excursions are working okay.

Just returned thats how i know.

Gaz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.