Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi
Yes I have my Varifocals from Goa. My friends go twice a year and I loved her glasses when she came back a couple of years ago. So I got my NHS prescription and she got them for me, they are great and the frames are designer (fake I think) and I am still using them. They cost me about £40. may have gone up since then. Christine
Do you mean the opticians on the roundabout near the market. Hi - Tec More expensive than the others - - all he wants to do is sell you "Police" or "Rayban" frames at very inflated prices - it is the firm that gives you a flyer at the Airport. Romano is the most popular one on the high street in Calangute - takes about 4 days and they are ok. I paid about £23 for ordinary reading glasses and about £40 for vari-focals. I only have cheap frames as I get a new pair every year. Take your prescription from the UK and it will be ok.
I have been recommended the following optician:-

Optolab Shop 6
Purush Ottam Smriti Building
Dr. Atmaram Borkar Road
Panjim
Phone 2230549 Just in case the taxi driver can't find it!!!!

and I am going to give them a try this year. They charge about £50 for vari-focals with good frames.
I used the opticians in Calangute in November 2003. Burberry Frames(Genuine) varifocals, utlra thin lenses (coated) including eyes tested £90.

I am going back next week for some more but this time armed with my prescription. His eye test is pretty basic compared with Uk but I had mine checked when I came home and they were perfect.
Hi

Off on the 9th April and plan to get new glasses when I am out there. Can anybody tell me the name and whereabouts of the opticians in Margao or anywhere near there. We are staying at Benaulim.

Roll on 6 weeks Saturday!!!!

Gill
Dear Gill if you go to Panjim while your in Goa there is an opticians up near the big white church at the top of 18th of June rd called Frank opticians he is very good,hope this is helpful.
k&j
Hi, romano opticians, just off municipal square in Panjim are good, I've had glasses off them for years, miles cheaper than U.K. Any taxi driver will take you but insist on romanos and dont let them guide you in elsewhere where they will get comission
Hi Gill
I'm staying in Benaulim at the moment and have seen several opticians in Margao and I haven't been looking particularly, so i'm sure you'll have no trouble finding what you want. Dont think you have to buy from the first one you go to, have a look around and compare prices etc.
It's great here, I'm sure you'll have a good time.
Val
Thaks Val

Where are you staying?? Any recommendations, especially for eating out?? Can't wait and am counting the days, hours, minutes, seconds. Just got to get through the flight first. :(

Gill
I notice there have been some discussions on opticians but has anyone got contact lenses in Goa and if so which types do they do and are they any good? any help much appreciated!! 8) 8)
Most of the opticians in Calugnute / Candolim sell decent lenses (Bausch & Lomb for example) at reasonable prices.

I think the opticians in Panjim though will give you a better deal.
Going to Goa in two weeks and have in the past bought glasses from the optician in Calangute, "Romanos".

Was not impressed with the quality of the last pair. Can anyone recommend a better shop? I have very bad eyesight and need the special lenses so I don't end up with really thick glasses.

We are staying in Baga.
Dear Angus,
The optiician i use is called Frank and the shop is at the top of 18th June rd in Panjim on a side rd just below a bar called Georges.
hope this of some help
k&j
HI Angus
We had glasses from Romano's years ago also tried Hi-Tech just going out of calangute towards candolim. Last November we used Dangui Optitions in Mapusa market charged local prices about half price of the others :shock:

cmj
dont go to hi tec had a bad time there in feb , try angelos in mapusa for the best deal
Hi
The opticians in Panjim do you know what it's called? were staying in Baga how far is it from there? Any idea's how much they cost if any one has got contacts in Goa
many thanks :D
My wife and I are going to Goa on Good Friday. We fly with Excel ?? (Any experiences ?) We are staying at the Taj Exotica for the second time. I hope to get some new glasses - Can anyone recommend an optician nearby ?
Hi Todge

Can't help with opticians as this will be my first time to Goa. We fly out on 9th April and we are staying at the Taj Exotica as well. As this will be your 2nd time can you give me a quick overview please. We have a garden villa but no idea what our room will be like. do you know these rooms? Any help would be appreciated. Any decent shacks nearby?

Thanks
Gill
Hi Todge, There is an opticians at the top of the beach road in Candolim (cant recall the name) you also have Hi-Tech on the main road just before you get to Calangute, Romano's in calangute and Dangui opticians in Mapusa market (the last one being far cheaper than the others)
(But if you can afford to stay at the Taj i don't suppose the price matters) :rofl
Hope this is some help :wlink

cmj
Hi again Todge
sorry about the weakest link emoticon selected the wrong one. :oops:

cmj
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.