General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I am tempted by Afghanistan or North Korea. I did know that a few folks have gone on holiday to North Korea but they must be practically under armed guard, I'll bet. Would you complain to your rep there??!
My son mentioned North Korea to me only a few weeks ago as somewhere 'different'. Different is the word, I am just hoping the interest wains I would worry myself silly if he went there
There was a documentary a few months ago showing North Korea, bloke & camera crew had to have official guide everywhere they went (prob cos of cameras) & later, they said they thought even the folks on the public transport they used looked staged, as though they were 'chosen' 😎
I think I saw that too, they spoke to the students asking if they enjoyed school etc and the children had clearly been primed as to what they could say, they also could not access the internet only certain websites were allowed.
Was this the one where they took them round a working factory where they were apparently making something?

People in white coats literally looking clueless next to an assembly line
quite possibly, but it seemed to me that you certainly could not speak your mind - in public anyway no freedom of speech there
Oh I think you can speak your mind. It would be your last words though.
I'd love to visit Iran. I'm fasinated by it. Also, love to be invisible for a week in North Korea.
Some friends spent two months cycling through Iran a couple of years ago. They posted a blog throughout the journey and posted some fabulous pictures. They said everyone they met was kind and welcoming and
they thoroughly enjoyed their adventure.

I did look into going to the country about 10 years ago, but was put off by the hassle of getting a visa and at the time I would have to wear a long coat and headscarf all of the time . They aren't quite so strict with tourists now.
  • Edited by Judith 2017-05-25 13:26:22
I've been wanting to visit Iceland for a while now and hope I can persuade OH to go with me, I'm not really sure I fancy going on my own any longer.

I have been to Laos and visited the places mentioned but didn't spend time with young monks. I quite like the idea of giving English lessons. When I was in Laos I visited the headquarters of COPE an organisation that provides prosthetic limbs to children who have been injured by bombs left over from the Vietnam War, many of which are still buried in the countryside. I spent a few hours with the children at the centre and was impressed with their eagerness to practise their English on me.
  • Edited by Judith 2017-05-25 15:19:10
Iceland would be great but would cost a fortune!
The cost of living in Iceland is higher than here (as it is in most of Scandinavia) but don't you also live in Scotland Fiona? In which case it might be worth thinking about a cruise as a way to get there. Cruise and Maritime sail from a number of ports in Scotland to Iceland and do good 'buy one get one free' offers if you book at the right time. A friend and I are considering one to Iceland for next year that sails from Dundee and Hafnafjordur is actually the port they use for Rekjavik on some of their itineraries. Or it is possible to get locost flights from Scotland and Hafnafjordur is just outside of Rekjavik so easy to get to from the city.
Thanks SMa
I am not thinking of Iceland at the moment. I have seen cheapish flights but it's the day to day costs which seem expensive.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.