Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
One of the best tips is to make sure that you take a high factor sun cream,5* uvf protection is best.Next best tip is to drink plenty of fluids so that you don't dehydrate.
You will probably get plenty of tips about Marmaris from people who love Marmaris,I love Turkey but find Marmaris a bit too much for me,I prefer a quieter resort but I am probably much,much older than you.
Lol thanks for the tips :) would it be as hot as they say it is?
Yea I'm just turned 20 :)
Tho I have honestly know idea what so ever what's in marmaris lol! Haven't got a clue!
We went to Icmeler,a short bus ride away,in August 2010 and temps were very high,you will want to be near the pool or sea most of the time. Marmaris has lots of things for your age group,boat trips,jeep safaris,night clubs,waterpark,watersports,loads of good pubs and restaurants.Lots of fake designer clothes too.
Prices for the boat trips and excursions are very cheap,but don't use the hotel reps as they are much dearer than the little kiosks that are on nearly every corner.
Ask as many questions on this forum as you want,somebody is sure to give you an answer.
I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time,where are you staying ? self catering,half board or all inclusive?
M4tty,

You may find the WEATHER: reports, news, Q&As topic useful. Temperatures can reach the 40's at that time of year so it's essential to use a high factor sun cream at all times when you're out and about as you'll burn within a short space of time otherwise. The sun is a lot stronger than it is in the UK.

Darren
Try and keep to the shade for a few days in the first week. You will still tan as the UV will penetrate sunshades to a degree and also reflect from water and marble.

Just to reiterate what others have said, keep hydrated and wear plenty of high factors, applied often. We normally start off at SPF30 at that time of year and gradually reduce as the fortnight wears on to end on SPF8 for the last couple of days. Take care in the first few days and reap the rewards, don't and it's agony!

By the way, beer does not count as hydration - even if it is 95% water. The other 5% is what will trip you up. Avoid alcohol during the day and you should be fine. Aim for about 2l of water during the day to keep yourself hydrated.

Marmaris is great fun, have a great time.
Excellant, thanks very much will keep the tips in mind! We will probz (probably) spend the time exploring! I like to get about the place as much as possible! Not the type to pick a sun lounger and lie there all day lol! Maybe the one day but mostly out n (and) about! Can't wait to honestly get out of bed and just walk out in heat lol! Also looking forward to visiting shops.. Yes I no I heard about the fakes etc but won't stop me buying a few things :) why not!!!
I've just been investigating recently on places to go etc... Generally I like to have it all in my head, so I no what's what, and wheres where! Oh and I'm staying in a small hotel called kivilcim.. Wasnt paying money for a fancy hotel (why would I if I'll hardly be in it) lol also it's just bed and breakfast!! No hope in hell would I do all inclusive for two people! Don't want to be limited to where we can eat!

Can you refrain from using text type please. Some members use screen readers that don't pick up on such words. Thanks. Dazbo HT MOD
M4tty,The Marina in Marmaris is lovely and a good place to visit on an evening when all the flash boats are in!
The Bazaar just behind the Marina in a must and has loads of shops.
I first visited about 20 years ago and only discovered last October that the ceilings in each area are different colours so help you find your way as its quite big.
The scenery around Marmaris is stunning and the views from the transfer coach as you approach is something we always look forward too. :sun2
Jaytrip

I take it the bazaar is a shopping mall of some sort? That's another thing, I am trying to find out more information on what shops there is to visit and to look out for

Thanks
As everyone else has saying you will find it extremely hot, as well as your suncream don't forget your hat. You may not want to get out and about too much during the day at first while you aclimatize, you'll proably find you just want to be near the pool or the sea to keep cool! Don't forget you can burn in water also, so make sure you slap on the water resistant sun cream!
The boat trips are brilliant, you usually have a bbq on the boat and stop in several different bays to swim off the boat. You'll do well to get recommendations from other holidaymakers because there is a lot of choice in Marmaris and some will be better than others. You'll probably also enjoy jeep safaris, where you spent most of the day having water fights and travelling around fantastic countryside. My daughters also went white-water rafting and came back buzzing saying it was the most exciting thing they'd ever done!
I'm sure you'll have a great time, Marmaris is a good place for youngsters!
Thanks for the info Alfie :) Really am looking forward to it the more I talk about it lol!
The bazaar is the large shopping mall down near the Marina but there are hundreds of other shops all over the resort.
My husband bought a leather jacket in 1993 from a shop in the bazaar and last October when we were walking past the shop the owner greeted us like long lost friends!
If you want a day in the shade there is a National park on the north east side of the town with lots of trees!
You can also walk to Icmeler along the coastal path which is shaded in parts and is best done early morning or later when its cooler
Have a look on Google earth and it will give you an idea of the size of the resort.
We usually go May and October as even June was too hot for us. :yikes :sun2
Excellant! Looks like we shall check out the mall there :) Just had a look on google maps and wowww! Wasn't half what I was expecting! I thought it was just like a we town with a few things by the sea lol
Im sure you will have heaps of fun, you really must give the jeep safaris a go, ive been to marmaris a few times now, but only went on this trip the last time we went.. now i cant wait to go back again in june to have another go.. word of warning, dont wear your best clothes haha.. :rofl
you can get the taxi boat over to icmeler, its lovely there with lots of small market stalls/bars.. and its a lovely way to cool down with the sea breeze!
Ah... one more thing, you may already know, but everybody entering turkey needs a £10 note to pay for your visa at the airport, just thought i would mention it as when i 1st went over i didnt know.. luckily i had a tenner tucked away in my purse! :-D
We have a visa topic; Visa for Turkey (£10) ... Q&As with everything you need to know about entering Turkey.

Darren
these posts made me :) - you can just tell how excited you are. Good for you, you have a great attitude to travel.
We are going to Turkey this summer - have never been to Turkey before and we're pretty excited too.
Hope you have a great time, somehow I think you will!
think you have had all the best info, just have a great time from me :cheers
I too have just read this thread with a huge :-) on my face, you will have a great time. I tend to go in peak season due to school hol's - prob august/july and as others have said high factor sun crean and plenty water, stay out of sun and head for shade around midday to 2/3pm ish.

Have a wonderful time, oh to be 20 again! :cheers
Thanks everyone for the info and tips :D great help!
Just over 3 months to go now :D Times flying in! Just officially fully paid off the holiday there on the 28th March, leaving Belfast on 4th July for a nice 2 weeks :) can't get much better than this! Oh to be 20 is great ha ha ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.