Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
goans are pricing themselves out of the market, they only have themselves to blame,
Not sure if it's the Goans or the tour operators. Probably a little of the former and a lot of the latter.

Some of the increases in the same holiday, year on year are crazy!

When costs are inflating as at present, there are always opportunities for retailers to add that extra bit for themselves. They've got the perfect excuse - fuel costs, cost of borrowing, rising staff costs etc.etc. Not my fault, guv'.

I'm sure a lot of people are "holding on" to see how things are nearer the time.
This Is not just About Goa the cost of holidays abroad and the cost of living at the moment has really hit everybodys pocket We will be going in january because weve prebooked flights and apartment but 2010 very doubtfull
Sharon
We are not at all surprised and agree that they are pricing themselves out of the market and on reflection from this years trip, they are getting greedy. I never thought I would hear myself say it but it is certainly losing its appeal. We are seriously considering going somewhere else next season....after 5 years I think enough is enough (sadly). :(
I think we are all aware of the slowdown in the holiday market,and the effects it will have on ALL holiday destinations.The interesting thing will be to see how each destination deals with the drop in trade.I dont think there is much we can do about the cost of getting there and the price we pay for hotels (if going on a package)As there will be less tourists the onus will be on the restaurant/bar/shack owners to come up with something to entice more tourists than their rivals, sadly the Goan answer is if theres less tourists we must charge them more :duh .It will be interesting to see if the hotel/guesthouse owners are prepared to lower their prices (for those who do flight only and book their place to stay when they arrive,) or if they are so naive/stubborn, that they will end up with half empty accomodation. The one good thing is that the Taxi drivers will have a re think and charge us the proper fares instead of the inflated rates :rofl and if you believe that about Taxi drivers your dafter than me....Keith
Re: Prices

I think the best bet is to eat where you see Indian tourists as most of them will not pay vastly inflated prices. I'm sure the Goan's will be keeping a keen eye out for any new tourists who can be easily overcharged.

You may also find that beach shacks will want to charge everyone for a beach bed regardless if you eat there.

All will be revealed soon no doubt.
A couple of years ago we arrived towards the end of August. The shack we had used for years, Johneys, outside the Goan Heritage was only half built. Johney however, had some drinks and a few sunbeds out. At the end of the day when I went to pay my tab, Johney added a 100rps for the sunbeds,( we were the only customers) I questioned this and he gave two reasons, firstly he was not serving food so he had to make his money somehow, and secondly, he had painted his sunbeds !! This was a chap whose shack I'd used since he first started, when, from his shack, there was nothing until Candolim. I told him I'd not be back and his attitude was "suit yourself". This was a man who I'd thought of as a friend and who I'd supported since he started up. I'm afraid that's the Goan mentality, and when the coming season goes as badly as I expect it will, their only answer will be charge the dwindling number of customers more to compensate for the missing numbers Alan
I've never paid for beach beds as it's always been after 1 oclock and maybe I've laid out on them for just a few hours. Usually had lunch but since I'm not a big eater most usually a snack. It's a bit much charging I think for a few hours.... still.... walk on till I get somewhere that doesn't charge. Any business in my mind is always worth accepting... unfortunately it would appear that Goa doesn't work this way.
I don't really mind paying for a sunbed, 100rps isnt such a big deal to be waited on hand and foot. There is one guy John, based at the end of beach road in Candolim, makes his living from hiring his sunbeds out, he doesnt own a shack. he runs up and down the beach constantly selling his few sunbeds and will take care of you all day. Many of the shacks do the same.
Whilst I appreciate and agree about the price increases, I dont want to be penny pinching during my hard earned holiday. If taxi driver 'a' costs 50p more than taxi driver 'b', if they get me where I am going then thats fine. A nice meal is a nice meal and for sure it will cost a lot less than a similar meal here in the UK.
I have gasped with horror at increased prices in UK supermarkets over the last few months, I imagine a similar increase wil be seen in Goa. I still intend to enjoy myself there and not worry over a few pence increase in prices.
I still intend to enjoy myself there and not worry over a few pence increase in prices.

I agree with you entirely. Up here it's now £3 for a beer and got a taxi the other day for 3/4 mile (at most) £7.50. So as you say 50 p here and there doesn't matter.
The slump in sales may also have something to do with the airlines not confirming when the flights are. Ours was changed twice and still they wouldnt promise that they wouldnt be changed again
So the tourism sector is pleading for two year tourist visas, what a great idea! Too great I feel, is it just me or is this far too sensible an idea? I won't hold my breath. Given that they have just farmed out the visa system I am somewhat cycnical that they will extend the visa times as this would mean a drop in income for VFS.
Prices are going up everywhere but having been to Goa for the past 4 years, I have just booked for March and its the cheapest price I have ever paid for 2 weeks so its not all bad !!

Rach
we were advised today at work by a conference call that Goa is selling particularly well for us for next season ( I work for a very large travel company)
Have just read in The Times of India Goa section, that Dabolim airport is expecting more charter flights than ever next season, with the first arriving from Russia, on 28th Sept, and for the first time some from Portugal.
x lassi
quote -

"I agree with you entirely. Up here it's now £3 for a beer and got a taxi the other day for 3/4 mile (at most) £7.50. So as you say 50 p here and there doesn't matter".

The world doesn't work like that. If I earned say £8 an hour in UK I would expect to pay that for a beer but if I earned £1 an hour and that made local beer 30p that is what I would expect to pay plus a service charge etc. Doesn't matter what you earn in your own country you should pay the proper price of the country you are in - not getting ripped off -which is what this 50p here and there is in Goa - "because you can afford it". as we are repeatedly told.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.