Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi 20 k is the norm, I suggest that you stand on a scales and remember you weight ( hush hush) Then weigh again holding your case, 20 k is prob all that you need. Have a great hol. We are going to Napa on the 15th For two wks and the weather last year at this time was hot during the day but a little chilly in the evenings, A long cardy will be fine no coat req, Brian
Ta for that.

I always pack loads.. so will do what you suggest... I was going to take small case, but the beach towel swallows it up. ta.
Most airlines these days are very strict with the 20kg allowance too....there's very little give and they're quick to charge you for excess baggage especially out of the UK.

We flew with Ajet (Helios) and the limit was 20kg, thankfully there were 10 of us travelling and the more enthusiastic packers amongst us were baled out by the good ones who were below 20kg.....how did they manage that !!

My biggest advise is decant, decant, decant and I mean everything from toiletries to perfume. The bulk of the weight you carry is those bottles of 250ml where you'll only use barely half that and then carry it back or leave for the chambermaid :wink: Buy a cheap beach towel once in resort and leave it there, how about also buying your suncreams in resort too ? SHOES........pack sparingly......3 good mix & match pairs and forget the trainers/flatties to travel in because you just know you'll take them off once you arrive and you wont put them on again until you depart to come home ! Waste of another pair to take in their place :D
Re toiletries:

Pop in to Millets or any other good camping shop.
They sell small plastic bottles for backpacking. Excellent for shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. Available in various sizes, and not expensive. Check how much of each you use over a week before you buy. (Double the amount for a fortnight, obviously.)

I take a small (125g) bar of soap which lasts me over a fortnight.

A few weeks before you fly, keep an eye on your toothpaste. On a 2 week holiday you'll only use about a quarter of a tube, so only take a quarter of a tube. Check with your dentist. You only need a dollop the size of a garden pea, not the full length of the brush like they show on TV ads!

A few small reductions can soon add up to one not so insubstantial one.

Mark
This year for the first time ever, we have taken no toiletries on our foreign travels. The reason being that when we weighed the soap bags they came to nearly 3kg!

So on all our trips this year we have purchased shower gels, sunlotions, shampoos, toothpastes, aftersuns...etc. locally in the resort supermarkets.

They are about 25%-30% more expensive than at home and you don't get the buy one get one free offers you get in Boots and Superdrug, but it certainly leaves more luggage space and weight for other items such as clothing.

Incidentally 20kg is normal for Cyprus flights with an additional 3kg for hand luggage, but we were allowed 25kg hold and 5kg hand luggage when we went to Ibiza. Probably due to more fuel needed on Cyprus flights, hence less weight for luggage.
Baggage allowances tend to vary according to airline, tour operator, or type of holiday booked, rather than to destination. For example, a typical 20kgs allowance with one operator may be reduced to just 15kgs with that same operator, if you book a late deal.

For information and discussion about baggage allowances, it may be best to check out the appropriate thread in either our Tour Operators forum or our Airlines & Airports forum.

David :wave
We have done loads of very late holiday deals, particularly in the winter months when cold and bored...but can only speak for ourselves in saying we have NEVER encountered any tour operator/carrier reducing luggage allowance for late deals.

As I said, can only speak for ourselves....but have never come across this.
It is fairly common practice for some operators to reduce baggage allowances on late deals, as many of our members have discovered to their horror at the last minute, when checking their tickets or booking confirmation. Some have failed to notice the reduced allowance until they arrive at check-in with an overweight case.

There are also some operators (such as Flyglobespan) which stipulate that their 20kgs baggage allowance includes hand luggage.

There are so many variations, that's why it's perhaps better to check out the appropriate airline or tour operator thread, rather than assume that it's a standard allowance to specific destinations such as Cyprus.

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.