Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Wonder if anyone out there can offer a bit of advice? I'm looking into how practical it is for my parents to visit Kyrenia in september. They're keen to visit on the recommendation of various of their fitter and younger friends. They're by no means decrepid (!) but they are in their 70's with a few health issues - principally walking on sloped ground. They're currently considering staying at the Merit Crystal Cove or the Vouni Palace Hotel. Any advice from you knowledgable people greatly appreciated.
Hi Kaz. Well remember you, too - one of the "dirty dozen" from the early days of the TRNC forum. It's great to read that you are still a visitor to these pages, and are returning there in the onerous role of wedding organiser.
Right off, I have to say I have not heard of the King's Hotel, nor even the King's Court Hotel, which it might well be.
It certainly looks the thing on the website, so here's hoping it matches up if you go there.
You will have read that I visited the Riverside for the first time, and was very impressed by what I saw. What struck me was the effort being applied to further improve the complex by the Osbirim family who owned it.
I guess that if you enjoyed it in 2003, you will enjoy it at least as much on your return. An added bonus is that the Farmyard is going strong just up the hill, and still owned by the Welsh couple who made you feel so welcome three years ago.
One titbit of information that might be of interest regards the High Life, just outside Kyrenia. A traveller (Anne HR), who I met in April, was disappointed with both the Bogaz Hotel and the Ada when she was out. She ended up in the High Life, and e-mailed me to say she was "delighted" with her stay there in the second week.
Not a personal recommendation, then, but, like the King's Court, worthy of consideration - hence the web link I have included.
Wherever you end up, Kaz, have a wonderful holiday, and wonderful wedding! Tony.
http://www.highlifecyprus.com/
Those interested in the Riverside might appreciate the news that "special offers" exist there this summer.
For departures between today and July 15, bed and breakfast is only £12, with half board £5 more.
The Riverside also has packages from the UK (midweek night flight +B&B accommodation +private transfer) from £350 worth checking out, along with car hire at £12 a day inclusive.
Hope this helps. Tony.
http://www.riversideholidayvillage.com
Hi Tony. Great to hear from you, Thanks for the recommendation for High Life, but alas what I am looking for has to be self catering and now it seems I am also looking for 2 bedroom bungalows. No one said this was going to be easy. Have been looking at Bare Hill and Ali Bey. These are all quite small which is what we are looking for this time, preferably within walking distance to a beach. How hard it is to please all!! :cry: Anyway if anyone knows of any where that meets these requirements please let me know :roll: However, no doubt this will all change within the blink of an eye. :rofl Take Care Kaz
We are returning to Altinkaya in August this year after having 5 great holidays there over the last 3 years. I understand that they have had some more buiding work done since last September and wondered if anyone knew what it was like now. Also wondering if anyone could recommend some non-touristy places to eat. Can't wait to go back, it seems like ages away!
Hi Xenmia. I holidayed at Altinkaya just before Easter and have already posted my thoughts on that stay in Hotel Reviews. Most, if not all, the building work is taking place across the road from the hotel - the annexe where you get your breakfast.
I was not inconvenienced by it then, and suspect the upgrading should be completed by August. No guarantees, of course.
Non-touristy places to eat? Well, I'd throw in Guthrie's Bistro in Bellapais, and The Archway restaurant in Templos.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/north-cyprus/kyrenia/altinkaya-holiday-village-bungalows-and-hotel/
Thanks for your reply Tony. We have stayed at the Altinkaya for the last few years and can't wait to go back. Reading your hotel review yes I would agree that the appartments are basic but more than adequate and we will be staying in the appartments rather than the main hotel again this year as they are more practical if you have a young family. However I must admit if it was just adults going I would opt for the hotel every time! Last year we flew into Larnaca for the first time and found it was much quicker and hassle free than flying into Ercan. I understand that the greek cypriots are causing more problems at the border this year but hopefully it will still save time (plus much easier flight times). Is the main pedestrianised area through Girne now complete?
Hi Maxine (I'm no slouch at anagrams!). Returning in late March, after being three years away from Kyrenia, I was not aware of any road-working programme in the pedestrian-only part of the village. Guess that means it's finished, or that I had been overdosing on Villa Doluca again!
Sounds like your holidays consist of much the same as mine then Tony, altho I tend to opt for Yakut!!!!
Hi

We are thinking of Northern Cyprus for summer 2007 - Can anyone reccommend a good tour operator and/or resort?

We love Greece - particulalry quieter resorts but like to be close to restaurants and tavernas - my Oh isn't too keen on the idea of Turkey so we thought Northern Cyrprus might be a good compromise.

Also - what is the current political situation like? are their any problems with visiting the north?
Hi Zebedee. I've always travelled with Jewels of the World and have no complaints. They claim they will beat any other operator's package price for a North Cyprus holiday, so you can't say fairer than that.
Although more and more folk are opting for DIY breaks on the island, do remember this does not offer any degree of flexibility if the accommodation you find yourself in does not measure up.
I'd think about staying in Kyrenia, maybe the Dome Hotel, or the Pia Bella, while the Colony might be the one if your bank balance can take it.
Politics? Yes, there will always be an undercurrent of Turkish/Greek rivalry on a divided island, but not so you'd notice if you are there for sun, sea and sand.
Like Fawlty Towers, the best advice is "don't mention the war!"
http://www.flytwi.co.uk/
hi..anybody stayed here any info would be appreciated.thanks
Hi Grandadgrud. Several Almond reviews on this web link. General opinion seems to be "excellent". Just go to Cyprus Miscellaneous on the drop-down menu and they are the first on the list. Enjoy!
http://www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk/frames.htm
thanks for prompt reply...looks terrific....cheers
This time in five weeks I will be just supping my first Efes of the year!!!!! Can't wait
Has anyone used this operator, and if so, are they ok?

Rog
We have used Cyprus Paradise a few times and have had no problems. Transfer times are generally longer than advertised and their coaches could do with upgrading. The reps visit regularly and are normally helpful and not too pushy at selling excursions.
My advice when going to the OCCUPIED NORTH OF CYPRUS is to remember NOT to get a TRNC stamp in your passport, ask the officials at the airport to stamp a seperate piece of paper, this is because ERCAN/TYMVOU airport in the north is not an official point of entry according to the government of cyprus, and this could cause you problems if you want to vist the legal south part of cyprus.
Yes it is advisible to not get your passport stamped as otherwise you may have problems getting into southern Cyprus. However if you have visited Northern Cyprus I can see no reason why anyone would want to stay in the south!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.