Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Thanks Flopsy

Going this Friday 6.30am flight from Manchester

Reading your reviews makes us look forward to it even more

Thanks

Steve
Heres the rest....

Kotor, Montenegro (it's euros here)

This destination has to be the most stunning port of call on this cruise!

I was blown away by the journey though this amazing fiord- steep mountains loomed up all around as the ship glided quite a way inland to reach Kotor.This place is steeped in history and is so unspoilt.Although the ship had meandered to this destination at a slow pace of 5 knots, as it was the ship's first visit to this port the captain took us on a tour of the bay before docking.This unfortunately delayed our arrival by almost an hour and the knock on effect on trips was a bit calamitous as everybody tried to disembark at the same time, but lets not worry about that!

We went on the 'Kotor,Heritage & Budva' trip.I recommend this trip- it was a wonderful mixture of experiences.

The coach took us to Perast- a Unesco protected small town nestling on the waters edge surrounded by mountains.There we got a boat to the manmade island just offshore 'Lady of the rock'.We had a conducted tour of the beautiful tiny church and museum.(There is one toilet and a lengthy queue but take this chance- our young guide allowed for very few 'toilet stops'!) But make sure you keep sight of your group as another three boats docked at this tiny island after us and hundreds of people were milling about.We arrived on one side of the island but left from the other side- on a different boat! So don't just go back to the spot where you landed in the expectation that that is where you will leave from!

Back ashore we walked to the museum and then contued on the coach through dranmatic scenery to the drive on ferry across the mouth of the bay to pick up the road to Budva.This is a beautiful resort and the guide takes you into the old walled town to see another church.We asked to give this a miss and instead went for lunch at a beach cafe as time was limited.The journey back to Kotor was only about 20mins.Then a conducted tour of Kotor would finish off this interesting trip.The ship was an hour late leaving because of the trips.This is the beauty of Thomson trips- the ship won't sail without you! Consequenty our voyage down to Corfu was at 17 knots!

Be on deck for the sail out of Kotor -it's stunning.Montenegro is the hidden jewel.

Corfu Town

As we had a late flight we booked the 'Bella Vista' trip.Wow the views on this trip are amazing- don't miss this one.

First stop was a visit to a small monastry.Cover your shoulders and knees or you will be asked to put on a skirt (several piled on a table) so that the monks won't be attracted to you lol.

Then it's back on the coach for the journey to a beautiful bay where you can take an optional boat ride to see some caves where the water is of diffrent hues -this costs around 7euros.Or you can just sit and have a coffee.

Then it's a toe curling climb in the coach through narrow hillside villages and to reach the high point known as Bella Vista where you can see for miles- you can even see our ship in the distance! There is a cafe where you can buy delicious home made cakes and coffee.

Then its back to the coach for the scenic ride back to the ship about 1pm.This trip is well worth the money.

I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did.Treasured memories!

Flopsy
Thanks Flopsy for all your help

We should enjoy it going by what you have said

We are doing the 2 weeks and have booked a Scuba Try Dive in Turkey for out second week so are also looking forward to that as well.

Thanks Again

Steve
Hi Steve

Gosh how I envy you jetting off tomorrow!

I hope you have a really good time-I shall be thinking about you both sunning yourselves whilst I'm working.......lol.

Do report back when, or if tee hee, you come back.

I shall be posting some info at lunchtime about the shows, and the films on at the cinema, on the Celebration, on the Adriatic Explorer leg of your hol, so if you are interested do :sun2 take a look.

Flopsy
I certainly will keep looking

We have never been on a cruise before just hope our son nearly 14 will enjoy it as much as us.

We will be getting off each day so should keep him entertained

Looking forward to it that much I have booked Island Escape for next Easter

Will report back in 2 weeks

Thanks

Steve
Dear Steve

As this is your first time I will just pass on a word of advice.

We went on our first last year and didn't appreciate the importance of reading the Cruise News fom cover to cover as soon as you get it!

We missed out so much that we could have gone to because we didn't read it in time! Doh!

Cruise News gives you information on all the events happening the following day.However your first copy will be in your cabin when you arrive and will tell you what is on offer that day, then that evening, and every evening thereafter, your cabin boy will leave copy giving you details of the next days activities.

Flopsy
Some of you may like to know in advance that the following films were being shown last week, and possibly also when you go:-

Fri
11.00 & 15.00 Mamma Mia in Liberties bar

The following were all shown in the Cinema, forward on Deck 5:-

Sat
12.00,18.00 & 21.00 Changeling (15)

Sun
12.00,15.00,18.00 & 21.00 Burn after Reading (15)

Mon
12.00.15.00 & 21.00 Milk (PG)

Tues
12.00,15.00,18.00 & 21.00 Valkyrie (PG)

Wed
12.00,15.00,18.00 & 21.00 Frost/Nixon (PG)

Thur
12.00,15.00,18.00 & 21.00 Boy in Striped Pyjamas (12A)

Also 'In Cabin Movies' showing at 09.00,12.00,15.00,18.00,21.00 and midnight:-

Fri Cadillac Records (15)
Bedtime Stories(PG)

Sat Revolutionary Road(PG)
Forgetting Sarah Marshall(15)

Sun Seven Pounds(PG)
The Village Barbershop(PG)

Mon Yes Man(PG)
Quantum of Solace(PG)

Tues Defiance(PG)
Confessions of a Shopaholic(PG)

Wed The Curious Case of Benjamin Button(PG)
Body of Lies(R)

Thur Flash of Genius(12A)
Soul Men(PG)

Flopsy :really
Some of you might like to look forward to the following shows in the Broadway Show Lounge (Deck 5):-

Fri 21.30 Dancing Queen (70's, Abba etc, but unfortunately only one showing which was full!)

Sat 21.00/22.30 Mediterranean Nights (superb,includes an energetic can can)

Sun 20.45/22.30 Sunday Night Live (UK comedian)

Mon 20.45/22.30 Songs & The City (eg New York,New York)

Tues 20.45 Game Show 'Chance' (great fun) followed by.....
22.00 N.B. Crew Show (see the talents of Celebration staff, music,dance,etc)

Wed 20.45/22.30 Camerons Classics (superb show)
23.45 Late Night Live (UK comedian, a little naughtier...)

Thur 20.45/22.30 Spanish Passion (brilliant show)

NB. Get in early if you want a seat! :(

Flopsy
Flopsy I'm back

Just come back from 2 weeks on the Celebration - first time cruises all I can say is Wow amazing all the way, some amazing ports of call, we did quite a few of the ships tours
Slovina Caves and castle
Montenegro
Crete
Athens
Scuba Dive in Turkey - organised ourselves from home which was amazing and only 25e each 30e for pictures and video
Corfu - bella vista

Entertainment great - different shows over the 2 weeks
Entertainment hosts really good laugh - Dave Beatie is a scream
Food amazing in the meridien restaurant
Zillys went once to try it but the food was no better than Meridian but maybe bigger portions
all the staff you could not get any more helpfull or friendly
you still get the usual moaners saying they wait too long before a waiter comes and asks what they would like to drink but we did not feel right just sitting down and waiting we usually went straight to the bar to get our own drinks and more often than not where told please sit and that they would bring the drinks over

I will go now don't want to bore you with too many details but if you want to ask anything please do

Highly depressed Steve
  • Edited by sterling 2009-06-07 07:47:57
Excellent Adriatic review Flopsy. Have cruised many times with Thompson, this will be our 2nd time on Celebration. We set sail on the 19th of June so you advice is much appreciated. :wave:
Hi steve

Gosh I am so pleased that you loved your first cruise.The trouble is it spoils you for any other type of holiday lol! You are no doubt suffering from 'post cruise blues' when you keep telling each other 'they will be just docking in Venice, they will be just waiting for the show to start' etc etc.All those lovely memories eh.

Do tell us more about your experience please- I won't be bored at all.It will be a welcome diversion from work! I am always fascinated to hear what people thought.Did you have that crazy woman (tour guide) on 'Bella Vista' who kept telling you to look at flowers on the roadside and addressed you as 'my children' tee hee.

Did you love the Crew Show - especially Marietta singing 'The Power of Love'?

C'mon -write chapter two!

Flopsy
Hi Flopsy

We did have the crazy woman, the crew show was amazing there was a 21 year old singing opera he was very good as they all were Tony the wine steward also very good with Bread & Butter pudding group.

Thomson trips I thought where good value we did are own thing in a couple of places Venice, Split Turkey we had organised ourselves scuba diving (would recommend)

We went on the Crete trip and went into a small Taverna and sat with Vicky (future destinations) she could speak some Greek so we let her order Taziki Vine leaves stuffed red peppers crusty bread very nice food.

Santorini went up in cable car and walked right around top then walked down steps, seemed a bit cruel for the donkeys but they all looked healthy.

Venice was not foggy going in for us but Captain Roy did say it was foggy the previous time.

Motenegro he told us he would be getting in early to have a slow sail round the bay before he docked so we had to be up at 6am if we wanted to see which we did and was worth it.

If there is anyone on here from South Wales you will know what I mean if I mention (asking if I wanted a Gondola ride) hope you got home safe.

Don't know what else to say there is so much just hope the Island Escape next easter will be as good a ship and as friendly.

We did take your advice Flopsy and read the Crusie News every day in fact we took it with us all the time so we would not miss anything.

Our son Daniel had us organised tell us we had to be in the Merridian for 6.30 - 6.45 so we could get a good seat in the Broadway then when that was finished up th Liberties to see the show there.

I also must mention the waiters Bart & Kiko in the Merridian who looked after us nearly every night with some fantastic food.

Anyone who is due to go anytime soon I am extreamly jealous.

Steve
Steve....sorry to upset you but a week on Friday I'm off on the Adratic stretch. :sun2 I hope we enjoy it as much as you and Flopsy. I imagine as always Thomsons cruises will come up trumps...After trying various others I think the service, friendliness and food are second to none. I can never understand why some folk pull them down. Think they must be as my old Gran used to say...ten bob millionaires :rofl
Hi Steve

That was a lovely post -so it looks like captn Roy is going to do the spin round the bay at Montenegro each voyage! It certainly was stunning.

Did you know that you can watch 'Bread & Butter Pudding' playing on You Tube.Yes the crew were all amazing.

I am looking forward to next year too -like you we are on The Island Escape for the first time- on 6 May so you should be back by then to tell me what you thought of the ship- I will be on a different itinerary to you i guess - Med Discovery for us.

Seems ages to wait doesn't it!

Flopsy
Hi

Yes I have seen them on you tube and will let you know what the Island Escape is like does seem like ages though, not like Ann... who is going a week on Friday I am not upset as that was the worst week the second week was much better (only joking both weeks where fantastic)

You always have to make the most of your holidays take no notice of the moaners

Have a great holiday

Steve
Hi

Flopsy if you don't mind me asking what deck will you be going on when you are aboard the Island Escape, we are in the cheap seats deck 5 or 6 inside and on the deck plans I noticed there is a cabin which apears all on its own (hopfully nice and quiet) No. 6041 I got in touch with cruise direct who said it was available and she didn't think anything was in the white spaces as shown in the plan so I have booked that cabin.

Steve
Hi Steve

Sorry for the delay but I don't work on Fridays and rarely log on at home.

I just booked outside cabin Deck 3/4 at first but when we were on the Celebration I spoke to the 'future cruises' person who was taking bookings on board.I said I was concerned because this year I've paid around £1800 and for the Island Escape it's only about £1400, so I wondered if it was going to be an inferior ship? She told me that she used to work on the Island Escape and she said the cabins are not as plush or as big as on the Celebration but she suggested I could use some of 'my savings' to upgrade to a Premier cabin so I did and I've booked 8550 on Deck 8. I'm hoping that it's cheaper because it's less formal-they certainly don't have as many crew.But if it's largely sel service I guess they don't need as many.

Must work out how many weeks it is to wait tee hee.

Flopsy
Hi Annilee

Hope you have a great time, have a look out for Dave Beatie (very funny) also Paul & Jenny

Give our best wishes to Bart & Kiko in Meridian and a lady called Rain in Liberties who always called me Mr Stephen.

Anyway enough of me going on

Have a great time

Steve
Will do Steve....all ready for the off.........Annie x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.