Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
We are also on the Adriatic Explorer in July. As far as I am aware, the only destination that accepts Euros is Venice. It is quite probably that some people will accept Euros "unofficially" at other ports, though. I plan to only take sterling with me and exchange for samll amounts of local currency on board.
Thanks Danger Man. I didn't realise you could change money on the ship. I don't want to change a lot of money into local currency just in case we don't go back, that's why I hoped they might take Euros. We've just got back from doing the Caribbean Gems and found every port took dollars so that was OK - I know I'll use dollars again. We're on 31st July for a week - it looks fabulous. Only been to Venice before so we'll end up spending a fortune on trips!
We are also going on this cruise in July - I was worried that it would be a lot more expensive to exchange on board - what I had intended to do is look at the currency for each port and change in advance approx 20 pounds per port into that currency. However, have just looked up on the internet and Slovenia and Montenegro currency is the euro so will only need currency for the 2 croatian ports.
Thanks for the advice. It's going to be an expensive cruise because of the weak pound - thank goodness it's sterling on the ship!
"However, have just looked up on the internet and Slovenia and Montenegro currency is the euro "

By jove, you're right! I didn't realise that!!! Good job we have lots of Euros left over from last year.

I am going on the July 17 sailing and am really looking forward to it. I've never visited any of the destinations before (well, apart from Corfu).
We are going the week after you and doing 2 back to back cruises - I'm also really looking forward to the Adriatic cruise.

Gill
If you are going to Dubrovnik and intend to walk the city walls you will need kuna. All the 'official' entrance fees are in the proper currency of the country. We took approx £20 out of the ATM with a Nationwide debit card. Needed more in Split and the ATM wouldn't work so we used the card in the nearest bank.Have a great time.
We are going on this cruise next Friday 8 May 2009 so if you like I will report back when I return.

I went on the same cruise last year but with my cousin so this year I am dragging hubby along on his first cruise! Some of the destinations have changed this year but Corfu Town,Venice & Dubrovnik are the same.Heres some info:-

Venice
Get on deck at 6am to witness the amazing sail through the islands of the lagoon, past St Marks Square and along the canal to the ships berth.What a wonderful photo opportunity in the morning sunshine.

We took the Thomson trip 'Venice on your own'- around £16 I think,it was a a privately chartered launch which took us right along the main canal to St Marks Square and we had a running commentary all the way which was really interesting.You could have got the public launch right next to the ship for half the price-8euros return, but you don't know till you get there!We didn't mind- at least we knew exactly which launch would take us right back to the ship if we found our way back to St Marks Square for the return journey.It's easy to lose your bearings in Venice but there are lots of painted signs up on the corners of the streets pointing which way to go to St Marks Square.Plenty of public toilets but it's 1euro a go!

Dubrovnik
We used euros in Dubrovnik Old Town but the change we got back was in local kuna.We were going to get a local bus from the ships berth to the Old Town but the buses were coming through full.Someone told us you need kuna on the bus- and the correct fare, so it's just as well that we couldn't get on lol.You can walk to the Old Town- but it's about two miles.We wandered back to the ship where we knew taxis had lined up- we asked the price into the old Town and were quoted 10euros per taxi so we asked another couple from our ship to join us which made it fairly cheap.We did the same coming back- just asked the people hanging about near the taxi rank if they were from our ship.

We were told that you need kuna (70, = £7) to pay to walk the walls of the Old Town, but other posts suggest it depends which entrance to the wall you use- some take euros! But you can easily get a few kuna from a hole in the wall at the Old Town.

We were wandering round the harbour and a guy with a really swish boat (cream leather seats lol) asked if we wanted to go on a boat trip to view the outer walls- he had another couple lined up ready to go too-he said he would go with just us 4 passengers-I think we paid 20euros and we felt like filmstars hee hee.It was really good.

Cofu Towm
We went on the Kalypso Star trip on our last morning.If you like to see animals in their natural surroundings then DON'T go on this trip! We expected to see seals and sealions basking on a beach.Instead we saw sealions imprisoned in a small floating wire enclosure out at sea where they had to perform like circus animals.Then we descended into the base of the glass bottomed boat to see the 'creatures of the deep' -divers obviously had retrieved the octopus, lobster etc from cages somewhere because as the animals tried to make their escape the divers desperately hung onto them (and presumably put them back into cages till the next trip).We thought it was awful.

Old Flopsy
Hi,
we are going on this, our first cruise in june, is it necessary to wear a suit on the captains night or will a shirt and tie do?, also any advice on the destinations especially Koper would be appreciated , thank you.
Hi j.c.

We did not go to the captains night so I'm sorry but :sun2 I can't advise you on that question.No doubt someone else will respond to that question.

I am going on the cruise this Friday (yippee) so I haven't been to Koper yet but I will write a report when i get back so you will have some info before you go.

Old Flopsy
"is it necessary to wear a suit on the captains night or will a shirt and tie do?,"

Most people will wear a tux or standard suit on the formal dinner night but there will be some just wearing shirt and tie and even a few with no tie at all! To be honest, it's no more than a photo opportunity with the captain but I think it's nice to dress up for one night of the cruise.
"is it necessary to wear a suit on the captains night or will a shirt and tie do?,"

I agree with Danger Man - but if it's not your scene then you will be fine in a shirt and tie.We've been on 5 Thomson cruises and have found most people like to get dressed up on the Captain's Night - men in a Tux or suit and women in cocktail dresses (there were even a few ball gowns on our last cruise!) If you don't want to eat in the formal restaurant on that night there is the Lido, which serves a range of food buffet style and there is no dress code. There are usually a few people who put shorts and a T shirt on and they do look a bit odd amongst the tuxedos but they must feel comfortable. If you don't want to carry a suit, then I think a shirt and tie would be perfect, you'll look and feel smart and not out of place. :) And you don't have to go to the reception if you don't want to! Have a FABULOUS time!
hi,
thanks for your replies, we are staying the second week in Corfu and may decide not to pack a suit.

The ports of call look good, but trying to decide whether or not to go on an excursion to Piran and Portoroz when we dock at Koper, look forward to reviews of this cruise before we go.

Really looking forward to our first cruise and your advice is appreciated.
Hi

just noticed there is a new review for the celebration in cruise reviews

We are going the 22 May can't wait now

Also looking forward to see what old floppsy thought when they get back

Steve
:que Hi I'm back.Gosh where do I start.....

It was wonderful.Even hubby loved it and now regrets insisting that 'he never wants to do a cruise' for all those years! Needless to say he wants to go again asap!

It's like six holidays rolled into one.I feel as if I've been away ages.I think I will compose a number of replies, as soon as I can, covering the excursions we went on, the shows, the staff etc.So watch out for new topics....

Old Flopsy
Hi Old Flopsy

Thanks for the post and a small request IF you have the time, would you be able to put some of the info you mentioned on before this Friday the 22 may

Thanks

Steve
At last I have time to write my review!

Well I dragged my reluctant hubby onto his first cruise and he loved it.Already booked for next year...

The ports of call:-

Koper
As we disembarked at the Passenger Terminal we were met at the port exit by a 'Welcome to Slovenia' group- a guy playing an accordian, gift stalls, leaflets were handed out about excursions, taxis stood by,tasting of wine & olive oil, a market, etc.

The town as seen from the quayside had a lot of Italian style buildings.We headed for the coach as we had booked to go on the 'Piran & Portoroz - Little Italy' trip with Thomsons.

(The 'Countryside' trip which I had planned to go on was not offered in the excursion guide)

It was a short and scenic journey to Piran which is bursting with Italian charm.We got off the coach and walked in a group to the main square (this used to be the harbour but was filled in to create a lovely square).The guide told us lots of interesting historical information and we then walked along the coast to the lighthouse where we had 30mins for coffee (I was asked if I wanted a large or small cappucino-I made the mistake of asking for small, thinking i would get a small cup- oh no it was a teeny cup-barely a mouthful lol).

We walked back to the main square where our guide showed us a shop selling the local speciality- chocolate covered salt! Then we walked through the narrow passageways to the original square which had interesting architecture and the rainwater was collected in a reservoir beneath the square for residents use.

Soon it was back to the bus and onward to Portoroz where we had over an hour freetime.We made our way to the seafront which was still 'under constuction' - man-made beaches with dozens of sun umbrellas, new jetties and roads etc.But the promenade was complete and there were lots of low walls to sit and watch the world go by in glorious sunshine on the huge bay, bars and cafes to have a meal or just a drink.We were too far from the main beach- time constraints.

The coach route back took us to see the old salt pans, and we turned homewards just before the border and travelled back though beautiful scenery.We were back at the ship soon after 1.15.

A lovely trip- everyone enjoyed seeing other parts of Slovenia.

Venice
My previous advice to get on deck for the sail into Venice was marred by thick fog.It was bright and sunny as we passed Venice Lido beach but then as we entered the main canal the fog descended- the captain later repoerted that it was one of his worst experiences but having committed the ship into the canal he had to keep going.Happily the sun soon burned off the fog and we had a clear sunny day, with a superb sailaway with stupendous views over the city from the higher decks.

We got the 'Venice on your own 4 hour' Thomson trip.We boarded a privately chartered launch right next to the ship and the guide pointed out lots of landmarks on our route to St Marks Square.

It was long enough for us, as we have been to Venice a number of times before, so we saw the main sights again and bought some Murano glass jewellery (who can resist) and by 1.30 Venice was becoming increasingly hot and crowded.

I will add more reviews tomorrow but duty calls.....

Old Flopsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.