General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I haven't had any airline food for ages Fiona - apart from a bought sandwich :(
Very disappointed with BA's longhaul catering in recent years. On shorthaul and locos I bring my own meal .. and try to avoid eye contact with those around me when enjoying it. Sushi anyone?
I think the best food I've had was on an emirates flight last year , although we were in biz class it really was very good , this year we have had food on two club flights with BA and they too were good , not as good as emirates IMO but still very tasty and satisfying , I suppose it helps that after champagne and some Bacardi I'm ready for a nice bit of dinner ! When we flew recently we were on a 9.30 pm flight from LHR and the lounge was really good with an impressive range of food , I actually wished I had chosen to have a proper meal there instead of snacks / sandwiches and skipped the meal on the plane as I just wanted to drop off to sleep.
Usually if we are on a short flight with someone like EJ we get a meal deal from smiths or boots , but the best sandwiches are M&S and they are landside though . But the one thing EJ does do really well is to serve a decent cup of coffee , I really hate cr*p coffee I find it insulting to be served that rubbish stuff , I just don't bother having it , so top marks to EJ , even if you do have to pay . It's worth it !
Worst food I've had has to go to Virgin , we were booked on a package , but managed to upgrade to PE on the way out , fantastic space , service and food , but it wasn't available on the way back and it was an overnight flight too , cramped , tired , fed up , rubbish service and then just to really p me off I was offered a ham, egg and cheese toastie , well it wasn't toastie as they would imply something a little bit crunchy in texture , it was like someone had sat on it t squash it then bunged it in a microwave to heat it into a congealed slab of disgusting mess which stuck to the wrapper when you opened it , all I could think was would Richard eat this ? ??? , so why serve it to me then !!! I would never fly virgin again unless it was PE .
andy66 wrote:

the best sandwiches are M&S and they are landside though .

That shouldn't be a problem as you are allowed to take sandwiches through security.
Excellent meal on TOM both there and back from PUJ one of the best meals ever had with an airline.
Hard to say what the best meal was. The meals served in business are much better than those served in economy and I have have had some pretty decent ones in business, though considering the price paid for the seats the meals aren't that fantastic. Probably the best was served with Air New Zealand when I flew with them from Auckland to Hawaii.
The best in economy was with Oman Air, but the steward had given us two business class meals as we had complained about our choice not being available.
I've had some pretty rubbish ones over the years and I think catering on the flights gets worse as the airlines find more ways to economise. Probably the worst was with Malaysian Airlines an otherwise excellent company,. a meal on a flight from Kuala Lumpur was just a congealed mass of pasta, still frozen in places.
I can never understand the thought behind serving dinner at 1 oclock in the morning. On a flight this year that left Frankfurt at 1130pm bound for Capetown dinner was served over an hour later, I just wanted to try and get some sleep and as I often do refused the meal but noticed I was in the minority.
Judith
I had the same with Malaysian airways flying in or out of KL. Fab aeroplane- really rubbish food.

My initial post was based on economy. I have had some fantastic food on my redemption First flights. But then, it might have had something to do with the champagne beforehand and the wine and port :rofl (that's me happy on my flat bed after eating my dinner!)
Roll on dinner in April :D
Worst meal? Has to be every morsel on offer on a flight with the old Yugoslav airline JAL from Belgrade to Beijing. Pork, pork and more pork with the pork sausage (yes, just pork sausage!) breakfast served in the early hours of the morning local time just after take-off from Abu Dhabi going down well with no one. Neither those of us who had been on the plane since the previous evening and had already been served an almost identical meal on departure nor the local Gulf citizens who had just boarded - most of whom had clearly and, for understandable reason, never seen the like of before :rofl

The best? The return flight on the same trip with Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong where we got bumped up to Club (by mistake I'm sure!) and where we were served what actually tasted like real food served on proper plates with proper cutlery etc.

SM
Best food (economy) was with Etihad. An excellent thai green curry one flight, a lovely middle eastern dish on another. After that Emirates offerings on recent flight were most disappointing.

Worst food Phillipine Airlines...ugh

Oh and an honourable mention for Singapore Airlines who managed not to give me a meal on one long haul, that will teach me to sit at the back, as they ran out of meals.
Worst food ever on Emirates Manchester - Dubai last Xmas. No food left as they were giving out 'seconds' on other side of the aisle !!!! Ended up with childrens meals YUK. Complained in writing when we got back but never even had a reply!
Best food I even had was on Air India. Mind you we had been bumped up to Business class. Proper food served on crockery and with metal cutlery and real glasses to drink from! I had goat curry and it was deliceous!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.