Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
If you are that gullible you are better off staying at home.
I have never heard any porters ask for anything other than coins and I doubt they would try and demand money for both bags either.It's also pretty obvious that you don't have to pay in the toilets either.
First visit 4 years ago and gave £1 to porter taking bags out to coach.
Have never used a porter at the airport since, always insist on carrying own bags out to taxi, (haven't used a coach since 1st visit either)
Can't believe they are asking for notes and for each case - more fool the person who pays up, I doubt whether you would even pay that to a porter in this country!!
Hope you told him to check out HT before he travels anywhere next time, to glean the wealth of information people contribute, he may have learnt something the easy way rather than the hard way!! :yikes
I think Stir Fry was an indication of the intention of the post.
"I think Stir Fry was an indication of the intention of the post". Forget that theory Dave -- I have been here too long.

Did you not read my OP - it was not a myth you silly person. OK I will change my name to Carole in Reading - will that make you see me much better.
I could also be Manchesterpoledancer.

This is what I was trying to say to you all - do not be taken in by these people at the Airport - first timers here in Goa are taken in by everybody when they come here for the first time - they believe what they are told.

I can give you the name of the person who told me this - he is staying at Goan Heritage if you want to verify this story.
  • Edited by stir fry 2008-12-21 18:14:59
Call yourself what you like I still have my doubts about your story whoever told it . It's also a strange first post too, reporting second hand information rather than your own.
Incidentally the tour reps are not allowed near the luggage belt, they have to stay outside the airport building.
You can please yourself what you think but I will prove this to you. Tomorrow I will see the people concerned and we will get in touch with you. Watch and learn!!!!

I remember coming on the first charter flight into Goa and they tried to charge the largest coin we had in our purse because they thought it was worth more than the little ones (not so) - on later flights this went up to a pound coin (if you were on your first charter flight and did not know better) then the porters tried it on as well.

Sorry Dave - we have been coming here since the mid eighties and do know better about these things than you.
  • Edited by stir fry 2008-12-21 19:02:39
Stir Fry

I travelled alone to Goa in March and prefeered as I was alone to use the provided Transfer (Coach or more aptly the bus) I avoided the porters and found the bus on my own.

When I got to the bus the driver refused to put my bag on board, he wanted money. I had 100 rupees in my purse from a previous visit he said no he wanted English paper money. I refused. He took the 100 rupee note and put my bag on the bus. I was made to feel very uncomfortable by him I felt that if I had not given him money my bag would never have reached the hotel.

Had I have been a first time traveller to Goa my first impressions would have been the same as the person you were talking to. As it was I realised that they are not all money grabber, I put it down to experience and went on to have a wonderful weeks holiday on my own.

I was tired and hot so didn't bother reporting it to the rep and also being alone I didn't want to cause a fuss.

I could easily have been put off had it been my first time but it wasn't and I haven't been put off. Flying out this Thursday but this time with the OH. Well he deserves it and it is Christmas after all!!!! lol.
I really believe some people should not leave england. If they ask you for £20 would you give it. Not all 'first timers' are taken in, only those who do not have the brains they were born with.
I am with you on this one Dave Wales :tup Have travelled through Goa airport many times including twice in the last few months and have only ever been asked for £1 coins, (which they don't get). The lady in the toilets is quite happy with 5 rupees!
Do we have a TROLL amongst our happy forum????
Squigs

As you can see I was asked for English paper money. I refused so he was semi content with 100 rupees but as I've said I was made feel very uncomfortable. Maybe it's because I was a woman on my own but it does not give a good impession to any first timer that this may happen to.
am with you on this one Dave Wales :tup Have travelled through Goa airport many times including twice in the last few months and have only ever been asked for £1 coins, (which they don't get). The lady in the toilets is quite happy with 5 rupees!
Do we have a TROLL amongst our happy forum????

How many more times do I have to tell you - I am NOT a troll in your happy - happy - happy forum where you are not allowed to say anything bad about - happy - happy - happy - wonderfull Goa.
stir fry wrote:
OK I will change my name to Carole in Reading - will that make you see me much better. I could also be Manchesterpoledancer.

Or perhaps even narial. Accounts closed.

David
I feel really silly now having answered stiry fry or whoever they are. I'm a fairly new member and enjoy expressing my opinion.

Please don't think I'm the same as they are, I really was asked for paper money by the bus driver in March and I was made to feel uncomfortable.

I'll wait to post in future - naive I know but never realised there were people like that on the forum - SORRY !!!!!!
Hi Daves wife :wave:
Please dont worry about it we like people to express an opinion
dont let this put you off we are all really nice really just the odd hickup :que
now and again
Pat :cheers :cheers
Even after visiting goa several times and being quite aware of the various efforts to get my money, i was surprised last year when one of the porters asked for PAPER MONEY, OK I thought as I usually give them the pound, so I offered 50 rps," no, English paper Money" he said
you can guess what my response was... take it or leave it to which he laughed and said OK!
I am a bit surprised that even a Newbie should fall for the above kind of rip off, as the porters etc are not very intimidating.
Thanks HT Mod David, thought something was a bit odd!!
Well the truth is a "newbie" didn't fall for it although in actual fact arriving at the airport is quite daunting but on principal I don't give in to the porters because I don't like their approach.
Why Stir Fry decided to enhance the story I have no idea, I seem to recall some positive contributions in the past from from Narial but I might well be mistaken. I sometimes think that some contributors simply get bored , they have nothing positive to contribute anymore, especially if they haven't visited the destination recently, so go the opposite way , maybe as a kind of "if I'm not there I'll do my best to put you off from going too ".
Recently there seems to be a trend to spread gloom and despondency amongst the Goa forum. Maybe the origins are the way most news is given to us via the media of late but without a doubt though our holidays are an opportunity for escapism so lets not dampen spirits unnecessarily.
There is no doubt India is in shock after recent terrorist attacks and don't know how to respond. It seems their efforts to allay fears are having the opposite effect, hardly surprising if building pillboxes on the beach to repel invaders is a way of demonstrating control ( assuming there is truth in this story as it also sounds daft !). The reality is that every year in Britain over 3000 people are killed on our roads. How many Brits have been killed by terrorism both home and abroad in the last 5 years ? We still think nothing about driving to the airport though !
So come on folks. Report accurately, don't spread malicious gossip and rumour and deliberately try our best to put people off.
I'm afraid the sandbagged pillboxes are all too true,we wished the sentry "good morning" in the one at the back entrance to the Goan Heritage, as we passed him each morning on our way to breakfast in our shack. Alan
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.