Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Be very aware
51 Posts
Hope that you are okay poppetjay - how awful for you. Thanks for the muggings warning, I shall be there on my own so I shall be as vigilant as I can be. I know that my hubby is a bit worried for me and has already given me a ear bashing about not carrying too much money etc in my bag - not much chance of that, will just carry what I immediately need. Take care everyone. Fizz
I think ladies with bags are particularly vulnerable to passing motor bikes. It's all over in a flash and when it's dark it's almost impossible to see who is responsible, number plates etc.
Take care, be vigilant and you will not be a victim. These muggers seem to use speed rather than violence and they are looking for easy targets.
I hope you're OK Poppetjay. This is just so sad and so different from the Goa of a few years ago.

I recall mistakenly giving one of the shack lads 500 instead of 100 rupees in the dark. He chased after me to give it me back. Not sure that would happen now.

Just so sad.....
poppetjay wrote:
Please be very careful whilst out at night, there has already been 2 muggings in Candolim, one this week and one a few weeks ago, the lady had her handbag ripped off her and was kicked in her chest by 2 guys on a bike near Top Nosh.
I personally was burgled on early tuesday morning, they came through a spare bedroom window on the 1st floor, it wasnt until the dog started grawling i realised someone was running out of my bedroom,I had my grandson with me, fortunately they only got away with my mobile but it could have be very different.
I just hope these cases are going to be isolated ones, but with the way things are going this could be the start of something very bad here. Locals are already saying they are having a hard time.

gosh that is so awful, are you ok? I sadly have a similar story to some of the others to share...
My friend mother has just come back from calangute, she had her bum bag over her shoulder and was walking along the main drag at dusk, a passing motor biker tried to snatch the bag off her (she's nearly 60) she told me that because the stitching had seen better days that it tore in the grapple and she managed to keep hold of her belongings, I hope these are isolated incidents?
How awful.
Hope you and your family are ok Poppetjay.
:cry Sorry to have to read this p.j ...I hope you are ok im glad you have the dog ...colleen
Hope you are ok Poppetjay, and thanks for reminding me of these problems.It happened to us a few years ago and we are due into Goa next monday, so its in my head now and extra care will be taken.
OMG Poppetjay, that is so frightening. Did you bother to involve the police? are they doing anything about the increase in crimes against tourists? last year some people we met had their bags snatched by passing bikers, I had hoped it had been addressed by now. Thanks for the posting, it has reminded me now to be more vigilant and always have a bag over my head and shoulder, rather than just on wrist or shoulder. This has been happening over the years in France and Italy, but now Goa- how sad it has come to this.
Popetjay i hope you and your family are all ok, i bet that was a fright for your grandson, luckily a mobile phone can be replaced, let me know if you need one brought over, not coming till december but would bring one if you like. Gel
it has reminded me now to be more vigilant and always have a bag over my head and shoulder, rather than just on wrist or shoulder.

often wondered about this advice.
Surely if the bag strap is more secure that way and less likely to come off, then aren't you more likely to be pulled along by the bikers, with all the possible injuries.
My wife never carries a bag on the evening , or if she does it's only a small clutch bag with nothing of value in it.
I just carry a wad of notes in my pocket and leave wallet with credit cards etc in hotel safe.

Anyway , being from Yorkshire with long pockets, they would need extra long arms to get my money :D
sad that this type of offence has been reported allready this season.
Oh no, how awful :( I hope you are ok.

Del, i agree with you on that one, but what happens if a woman is on holiday alone, she will not be able to get her partner to carry the money, so obviously she will need a bag, if she hasnt any pockets.

I think im going to make my o/h carry the money next time.
That is so awful, hope you're getting over the shock.

I go to Goa with my mum, who is now in her late 70's, I do worry about her (about all sorts of things!) She would be easy pickings for a bag snatcher on a bike, not so bothered about the money as we try to not to carry too much but she's not too steady on her feet and it would unbalance her and probably result with her falling.

Dare I say; it may be worth taking that taxi!!
How many times have we seen this. Two guys,two gals,after the meal, the bill arrives,handbags on the table,purses out,big wads of money on view.Lets face it guys you dont want your trouser pockets bulging do you,put it all in the wifes handbag,we see this,the Indians see this. Dont put temptation their way.
If and when i have to take any money out with me i use a money belt that you wear round your waist and always keep it hidden under my T-shirt/blouse..
Everyone be carefull, last november i had my handbag snatched by 2 men on a motorbike, it happens in a split second, you cannot actually believe its happened. It was just before the cactus shepard coming towards candolim.
oh no, this is getting too regular! i had my bag snatched off my shoulder last March in Candolim. It was over in a second and i was really annoyed with myself but was not expecting it to happen.
It's not only woman that have their bags snatched, A guy in his early 50's had his robbed last season on Baga Rd, he was pulled along the ground and had cuts and bruises....and the bag was in shreds....so boys, beware!!
GFF xx
This is not good at all i hope everyone is ok who has had it happen to them, im going to let my OH keep the money i think or i always use a bag that goes accross my chest rather than over the shoulder where its easily taken.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.