Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Just come back from Praia Da Roche we had a transfer for 43 Euros one way that was the cheapest i could find.
also just returned from Albufeira, and Alan arranged me a very good transfer -> 30 euro each way! Cheapest I've ever seen and very good service.
Cheapest I know of is http://www.pringlevillas.com/algarve_travel/airport_transfers.htm

and that is with a Licensed Company.

Be warned - there are plenty of people who "do" airport transfers but are not licensed. Book at your own peril!
Thinking of going to Lagos in August...Can anyone recommend hotels in Lagos? Heard the "Marina Rio" Hotel is nice?? Also, roughly how much will taxi transfers be and am I better off booking them before I leave? (Quoting about 40 quid one way on internet sites)

Is Lagos the same as Quinta Da Lagos?

I need a taxi also, going on 22nd June so would be interested in rough prices and whether I should book this first.

Thanks.
Lagos is a lovely place with some great restaurants.
As regards hotels they are very limited as most places are apartments- look on the various web sites- alpha .com and algarve retreats.com + other sites
as regards taxi transfers we have booked with alan.sutton@ownersin portugal.com for july after looking at various recccomendations on the net
he is very reasonable - mention my name and i could get a discount on my taxi fare!!
Can you mention my name as well :) j/k
I can confirm Alan is very good and reasonable :)
hi,we came back from lagos 5 days ago and we had a great holiday.
I booked alan for our transfers and I can say he is a very nice reliable guy,very friendly and knowledgeable he points out places of interest on the way,like your very own tour guide.
we stayed b&b at the hotel marina sao rouque we couldnt fault it,it was a little walk around the marina to the town.see my review.
the resort itself is very pretty with great resteraunts and friendly people.a little building work still going on but looked as if it will be finished soon.
I would visit this hotel and resort again.
I believe there may be some confusion between the Sao Roque Hotel and the Marina Rio Hotel. The Sao Roque is a long established (pink) hotel in front of which huge blocks of flats have been erected totally spoiling the view. Whereas the Marina Rio is nearer the town has a roof top swimming pool and has a good view over looking the marina. I am a frequent visitor to Lagos and the only hotel I have stayed at is the Tivoli (previously Hotel de Lagos) which was over 20 years ago and very nice and according to reviews I have read since still maintains a very good standard and a bit closer to the town centre. My choice over the past 20 years has been self catering as the restaurant choice is amazing.
hi jerry49,the the pink hotel on the main road behind the marina you refer to is called "hotel marina sao roque " although I can see where the confusion arises because both hotels have similar names.perhaps "marina" was added since the new marina was built.
it was our first holiday in lagos so I am not familiar with the old layout of the town.we enjoyed our holiday and wished we had gone to lagos years ago before all the new development,it must have been an even prettier town then.
I can highly reccommend Alan Sutton (INVALID URL He was waiting for us at the airport with a bottle of water each and English language newspaper. His Land Rover is very comfortable and his driving is far better/safer than any UK taxi driver! For the return journey Alan arrived in good time and got us safely back to the airport from Armacao de Pera. A first class service at a very reasonable price. :D [/b]
Hi samgidley, Quinta do Lago is much closer to Faro (about 20km) than Lagos is (about 80km). Hope this helps :wink:
Thanks for that, do you have a rough idea of how much taxi transfer would be for 3 people plus luggage?

Shall we just arrange transfers at the airport would you suggest?
Hi Sam (can I call you Sam) There are a lot of questions very similar to yours on this Algarve forum. Whilst I don,t have a specific answer to your question people with pop up with Taxi services they operate. I just smile to myself when some one asks a question about taxis I know exactly what the replies will be.
Yes you can call me Sam.

Have never been to Portugal before so don't really know the distances etc. However it does not appear to be too far so may just make arrangements when we get there. Am sure it should not be too difficult.

Thanks.
i went to vilamoura in april and booked with alan sutton, he unfortunately was not available at the last moment and he arranged his friend rodrigo to collect and deliver me back to the airport at the end of my stay, everything went fine :)
i am off to albufeira this friday 10.6 and had booked alan for this trip too but havent had an email from him yet so i am not sure if he is available or not, but searching the net i found this one

http://www.mediterranean-holidays.citymax.com/page/page/1678207.htm

which gives me a price to albufeira of 29 euros from 1 - 4 passengers, not sure what they are like so if anyone has any info, it would be appreciated.

hopefully alan and family are ok and will be there as arranged.
Sam, Lagos is approx 55 miles from Faro airport, the road is very good and should take 70 to 90 minutes. Where in Lagos are you staying?
Hi Sam, You can email your details to "transfers@ownersinportugal.org" for a quote. I looked on several websites for quotes to Lagos and were about £40/£50 each way although you are going to Quinta Do Lago which I think is a completely different place - will be much cheaper than this as much closer to airport. :wink:
Hi sam Quinta da lago is about 25 euros for a transfer from faro airport but a taxi will be slightly dearer. Regards Jayjan
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.