Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I suppose you are right.....It's where you are in between that really matters :D
Least favourite...
Manchester...the baggage handlers always seem to be on go slow and it takes ages and ages to get your luggage...very frustrating, when you just wanna get home and you have a taxi waiting....also, I have to cross over the penninnes to get there...not a very nice journey, especially in the winter.
Next comes ...Humberside...too small, and sod all to do if you are delayed.

Most Favourite...
East Midlands...a nice friendly airport
Malaga...plenty of facilities

and very soon the new Doncaster/Sheffield Robin Hood, cos it is 20mins away in a car. :D
which bright spark thought up that name for it. :roll:...I can really see the foreigneers geting their tongues around that mouthful.
To me it will simply be...Donny airport.

sanji xxx
I also like East Midlands. or as they now call it ....Nottingham East Midlands.
It is straight down the M1 for me and 2nd choice to Leeds/Bradford.
I am picking my daughter up from EMA on 18th Feb :kiss as the flight times are better than LBA from Paris.
heathrow is crap. last time i flew from there it was crowded, the bar had only warm lager and the champers had run out(well cava ) but no champagne either. :( . mostly travel from gatwick and i really don't have a problem with it. the sea food bar is just right to pass away an hour or two waiting, but it is boring. trying stansted in may for the second time, did find that the check in staff were far more friendly than lgw or lhr. but facilities seemed limited.
don't see what's wrong with palma tho' clean ,food and drink isn't bad and the vip lounges are good too. only problem is if you have never been before it can seem so big and daunting.
worst was kephelonia 15 years ago. had to collect luggage straight from baggage truck,but i suppose its changed now.
best for me is Manchester by a long way , its not as big and conjested as heathrow , there is supprisingly a lot to do if you get delayed and best of all it takes 10 mins from my front door to departures, and when i get off the plane i ring my parents and they are there by the time i get out of customs

also like Abu Dhabi airport that was something else

HATE heathrow , just too busy too big , doesnt have the same feel as MANCHESTER and when you park up and fly out , its seems that your car is in another county when you get back and also Miami , exeactly the same as Heathrow but american version
I have to say that Dalaman airport is not the best airport either, its the queue you have to join to pay the ten pounds each to enter the county, then passport control to enter always holds one of our party up so we wait again. On the way back its the VERY large queue you have to join outside the departures where all the buses are unloading even more passengers its in the direct sun and all the fumes off the buses makes it unbearable. The prices are really expensive as well so be warned tske your own drinks etc.
Also Larnica airport is not too bad after we had a six hour delay there we got looked after very well.
But the worst I found was Geneva very hard to find where you are supposed to be as have of it is underground, the signs get you going in all the wrong direction so easy to get lost.
Palma is very good but very large. :D
Heathrow arrivals is disgusting soooo dirty. The poor people who's first impression of this country is heathrow airport :x

I am so not looking forward to Burgas as no one seems to have a good thing to say about it :?
Agree with you totally Lesley about Heathrow! We spent 3 weeks backpacking Thailand....trust me...a 12 year old could do it easily without getting lost and the airports we went through were fantastic. However...arrived a Heathrow..our taxi hadn't even left to collect us! No spare seating so had to sit on floor for over an hour. The place was filthy, bins overflowing, rubbish on the floor. Most of the ceiling partitions were taken out exposing air conditioning pipes etc etc. Went to buy a drink and the guy spills red hot coffee all over my hand with no apology! I was ashamed to be british!! :cry:
Difficul to choose, as it can depend on time of day/year, but let me see:

Good:

Belfast International

Manchester

Hong Kong

Bad:

Heathrow - too busy noisy and dirty

Doha - lovely airport, revolting loos!

Zante - small and always overcrowded

Colombo - absurd security systems
i agree with heathrow being one of the worst - too many people & not enough quiet comfy places to sit/wait.........they never have enough tables in the bar areas.
my fav would have to be the tiny airport in broome up the top of west australia.....the departure lounge is outside in a little courtyard surrounded by bouganvillia flowers & a little bar in the corner very cute & oh so laid back :D
Like:

Mombasa - a small barn with wooden benches and a view of the runway. Their duty free shops sell televisions and a man comes round with a trolley similar to something the shelf packers at a supermarket use, but loaded with bottles of coca cola and mangoes!!

Istanbul - new, spacious, airy and clean. Not too far to walk to any of the stands although it takes ages to check-in and get through passport control when it's busy.

Bodrum Domestic - Arrival - Luggage in on the carousel before the bus has dropped off the passengers. Departure - quick check in and plane is invariably ready to board.

Dislike:

London City - taking off and landing are two things I never want to do at this airport ever again. When landing the pilot merely scrapes his way around Canary Wharf and then turns the engines off sending the plane plummeting to the ground. At the last minute he pulls the nose up and it's then a panic to make sure the plane stops before dropping off the end and into part of the River Thames - no thank you!!

Bodrum International - Arrival - all planes seem to land at the same time and the baggage handlers are in no rush at all. Departure - a couple of small shops and 2 cafes that sell over-priced drinks and food. Uncomfortable benches to sit on while waiting for a delayed plane. Pointless buses taking passengers 10 yards from the plane to the door of arrivals.
The worst airport we have ever had the misfortune to be in is Zante (Zakynthos). The toilets are awful and it is just far too small to cope with the growing number of passengers. Security seems a bit inadequate as well.

The best? Strangely enough - Samos (a fairly small Greek island) has a really nice airport. When we visited last May it was so quiet and there were loads of seats and the toilets were some of the nicest I have ever visited abroad.

Faro and Funchal airports are quite good but both are fairly busy.

We will be visiting Majorca in March so will give my views on Palma!!

Pippa
Hi all in no particular order,

Best
Malta
Paphos
Dublin
Brussels

Worst
Heraklion
Corfu
Lanzarote
Naples
Banjul Airport in Gambia was pretty scary, lots of soldiers with guns and very very hot, bit like a cattle market but neverthless, it was an eye-opener and we survived.

Worst Airports

Malaga, Spain - chaotic
Banjul, Gambia - scary
Dalaman, Turkey - long queue for visa and passport control

Best Airports

Sfax, Tunisia - Small efficient and hardly any waiting
Marsa Alam, Eygpt - Clean, New, Efficient, Friendly
Gatwick - Clean, Like the shops!!
Charles De Gaulle, Paris (not sure of spelling)
Djerba, Tunisia - Excellent well run but very scary landing and take off!
My favourite airports are gatwick, which is close to home and also my wife works there so we get free parking :D , it is a nice feelgood airport though considering its so busy, also like changi, as its spacious and clean, was also impressed with KL , its sooo space age, its like being on a different planet let alone country.
my very favourite is male' in the maldives as its so cool on touchdown/take-off watching the tarmac dissapear and just clear blue sea all around, and the pilot has to really "welly" the throttle just to take off, i like fast and noisy.

Least favourite is heathrow, its just too congested, i always book a lounge just so i feel relaxed and ready to fly, also i found the departures at bahamas very poor for such a rich country, i'm sure the americans get better departure facilties, and finally montego bay in jamaica, which had a total ban on smoking , not even one of those non-airconditioned glass cubicles, strange really considering that you're offered "wacky baccy" by literally every other person while staying there, perhaps thats why as most people would be flying before they've boarded the plane?
Favourite definately
Manchester
Love the way it really makes you feel like your going on your hols. If going on a package I even get there really early to get good seats and dont mind waiting in the airport because there is so much to do.

Worst
Kos just for the fact that the flights home are always at night and each aircraft full has to line up outside for hours, been like that each time ive been there with one exception when I got a taxi instead of going back to the airport with the reps
also Amsterdam you can get there early and still miss your flight its so big!! but it has a lot to do, theres a museum/art gallery haha, but i still hate it just out of its sheer size. Plus its where they dont believe in security
Favourite - - - MUNICH, MUNICH, MUNICH.

Great design - especially new terminal 2. Great eating and drinking places - has an ice rink in the winter!!!!! Open stalls in the summer and a live band plays between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 every Sunday!!!

Good quick checkin - and not far to walk between gate and aircraft. Albeit on ocassion you can be bused to departing aircraft. Clean and friendly staff.

Worst? Birmingham!!!
East Midlands has to be my favourite - only 40 mins from home and easy parking.

Haven't really got a worst - shows I'm easily pleased :lol:
I would say the funniest was Reus (Costa Dorada). You walk straight out of the tiny cafe onto the runway :rofl :rofl

Carol :fly
NEMA was closed this AM due to snow from 6:30 till 7:45...Believe its now reopen but judging by the current weather it may be on and off all day.

Still my favourite though....

Van
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.