Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
My fav airports that I have flown from/to are

Munich
Frankfurt (The german airports are very nice modern and spacious)
Gatwick (Great for shopping)
Birmingham (easy for me to get too not bad for shopping)
London City (you can be off the plane and out the airport in less then 10 mins)

Neutral

Knock International Airport

The only airport where ive seen the fireman put your luggage on the conveyor belt and a tractor bring the steps. Sadly I dissagree with the 10€ depature fee.

Worst

Heathrow crap and tatty and its like a big city
Malaga crap facilties and bad memories
Stansted not alot to do.
pauline_pens I take it you have never tried finding the Business class lounge in Munich?????.
Best
Koh Samui
Singapore

Worst
Zante
Best if you want to keep fit Dubai.
favourite probably Manchester cos I know my way round, terminal 3 is great but 1 and 2 need some work

Worst by far Heathrow its an absolute nightmare!

Abroad I like Cologne ad out of the med resorts Malagas pretty good but Palma is terrible not only cos of the long walk to gates but the inevitable delays at the place, I must have flown in around ten times now oner the last 17 years and never departed on time yet!

Rob 8)
Best for hiking..Schipol...some of those gates seem miles away.
Just checking through the thread I'm suprised no one has mentioned Kuala Lumpur...a smart swish airport and a definite improvement on its predecessor...if it had a swimming pool I'd put it in front of Changi
I nominate Bourgas - Bulgaria for worst airport! All becomes apparent when you go through to departures.

Not enough seats even when there isn't a delay, one very small refreshment bar - with one barman selling only strong black coffee and a strange duty free shop with everything behind glass.

Thankfully we only had an hour and a half delay last summer but we found it difficult to find enough floor to sit on.

Regards

Jo
Worst by a mile is Puerto Plata. Old and tatty. Reminds me of any airport in a 70's tv show!

Best is Cayo Coco. New and built for 2 planes so takes no more than 2 planes. Basic but very clean and efficient.
Paris CDG is a pain too - MILES to walk (and @cos the whole thing is built on a donut principal) you get a great view into the men's urinals from unexpected places!!! :oops:
Hi Guys,
My most favourite airport is Lanzarote, seems a bit sad, but I love it. It has a few shops, including importantly a shoe shop, gift shop and a couple of others. But the best thing is the outdoor deck area, you can get a sarnie and a pint at a reasonable price for a airport and chill in the sun. Although last time we went the cleaners were on strike it was filthy, but still had a relaxing wait.
One of the worst is Reus, small, not very clean, one pokey shop and a cafe with extortionate prices. Imagine getting there with 3or4 kids, the burger meals were 12euros each, and the most nutritous part of them looked to be the box.
Ibiza was as bad the last time we went but that was a few years since, hopefully has improved since, the words cattle and shed came to mind at the time.
Dulles airport in the USA seemed well organised, clean and sufficient facilities. If you are in to building styles Ronald Reagan in Washington is a must with its art deco buildings.
Toronto airport seemed large and not very user friendly, in such a large airport there was one very distant area for smokers in a bar, very well hidden, and at the end of a long corridor. And for incoming planes no place to smoke at all.
Birmingham is the best place for smokers when you get of the plane, they provide a small room, which has the capacity for about a dozen people, and usually about 40 of us desperate smokers pile in, I swear you don't have to light up, you can get high on the residual smoke in the room. One of the very few times I thought about giving up occured in that brown smelly room.
Cheers Bellana.
I was in Lanza about five years ago and found the airport really nice. Als liked the old airport -Kai Tak in Hong Kong OK. Mind you that was in 1986!!

Helen
the best ive used are,

luton (especially when all the works done!)
Galway (so cute)
leonardo da vinci (good links to rome and loads of shops e.t.c)
Heathrow (yeah i know but it is a really exciting place to go from)

the worst,
Stansted (annoying to get to amd really expensive from london by train
Also have to walk miles if you are using ryan air)
ciampino (small and pants shops if you get a delay you will die of bordom
plus now no smoking every where aswell)
heathrow (checking in at 6am can be hell at this place esppecially
in summer!
Worst

Heathrow - its a hole, too big and too busy and the facilities landside are awful. Airside its not too bad in T1 international and T4.

Manchester- my local airport. Worst for arrival. Extremely slow baggage delivery.

Best

Dubai
Hong Kong
Both are clean, great facilities, great shopping. Modern.
Favourites are gatwick, birmingham <only 15 minutes away> las palmas :lol: 8)

Not so favourite

stanstead <everything seems miles away :cry:

& all airports on returning back to the uk. :cry:
:D
My favourite: Gatwick-Love the shops.
My worst: Bulgaria-what shops?? It was a really small building, hardly any seats, 1 kiosk which sold booze and cigarettes, tiny cafe in the corner. Great holiday, terrible airport and we were delayed!!!
Best aiport-Manchester
Worst-Cancun - dodnt even have a proper flight announcement system, just a guy with a loudspeaker announcing flights in spanish. Airport was full and noisy and we couldnt hear the the announcements.
Beent o cancun airport twice- both times very stressful

Almost put me off going back (Along with the awful flight we had wirh brittania)

Sarah x x x
Sarahlp, how long did it take you to get through customs at Cancun?? I've heard its a bit of a chore getting through everything. Is it true that the time share loonies are waiting to pounce at the airport too??
just thought of another bad airport which has been mentioned on here a few times, REUS! i wenrt through there some years ago when it was only just being opened up, im sure it used to be an ex-milatry base and quite frankly it should of stayed one. Check in was hell, there where a few flights checking in at the same time in area the size of an ambitous postage stamp, and departure lounge, well seen better tents at millets!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.