Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
l hated manchester but no help having 22 hour delay :evil:
not a fan of manchester either my favourite is east midlanda airport
l love east midlands then again only live 15 mins away.
Not a fan of Sandford, its small and the foods rotten
although I have not been to very many places the best must be Manchester and the worst Exeter. The smallest airport I have seen in my life. Arriving passengers are greeted with non existent taxis as there is no authorised stand and no buses into the city centre. What a way to greet tourists!!
Best airport is (London) Gatwick, as I live 2 mins away.
Excellent transport connections, no delays, clean.

WORST
CORFU NEVER again.
No luggage comes out on time all flights are delayed, no seating, pathetic departure lounge, no shops and dirty. :evil:
Not sure about favorites but on the negative side

LHR terminal one - HATE that low ceiling, makes it soooo claustrophobic

Plovdiv was interesting (few years ago now!) - their duty free shop used to comprise 3 trestle tables selling something that virtually amounted to home-brew in plastic bottles - stuff was that strong that I'm surprised the bottles actually survived !!. not sure how it's changed in the intervening years.

Dalaman - overpriced, overcrowded and filthy

Orlando McCoy. Sanford may be a bit further out and lacking in facilities but McCoy is SUCH a huge site - all that collecting bags, dropping them back on to other conveyors, walking MILES and taking over two hours to even get as far as the Budget Hire Car queue............Tedious....
Best UK, has to be Gatwick

Best Overseas, DIA (Denver International)

Worst UK (Heathrow), just too many people and poor infrastructure (maybe T5 will help alleviate some of this)

Worst Overseas - RDU (Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina) old and not very nice.......
My favourite - Stansted, clean, spacious and only 20 minutes away now the new A120/M11 Link is open. Worst - Gatwick South, How long is the walk, especially if you fly First Choice, gates are miles away!!!!

Favourite Overseas Theres 2, Amsterdam, Big can be well laid out and fantastic shoppingand Fueterventura, clean spacious, loads of seating and a gorgous outside deck area.
Worst Overseas, Heraklion, Crete. Avoid Friday nights!!! Waited 1 1/2hr for luggage when we arrived and nothing to sit on but the hard floor!! Dirty and sparse. Seems to be a common theme in Greece... :roll:
best UK Heathrow - love the choice of retail outlets
best overseas - well I really like Dubai, Singapore and Hong Kong airports they are so traveller friendly, spacious and have loads of shops etc, prettiest airport Ko Samui----WOW
tiniest airport I have travelled to is Mae Hong Sorn in northern Thailand
What about Sharoura in Saudi,a prefab hut,with Green wooden benches for Economy,Red for First Class.(1981)737s landing here.
Just returned from Munich and i still love it! Spaceous Terminal 2. Free coffee dispensers and newspapers at Lufthansa boarding gates - before q ing! To top it all they had a Christmas market between Terminals 1 and 2 - selling all sorts of Christmas stuff - ample gluwien and food - a live band and an ice rink for skating (boot hire available). Unbelievable for an airport. Puts UK airports to shame.

Nivsy
Best UK

Manchester

Best International

Johannesburg (only the International Departure Lounge though)

Worst UK

Heathrow

Worst International

Kos, Greece
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Salzburg, Austria
Manchester Airport is great......20 minutes down the road from where I live!!

Any delays are the responsibility of Airlines, NOT Airports, I have hearld lots of people saying things like 'I'll never fly from here again cos they took so long to deliver my bags or I had a xx hour delay'. The people who they are travelling with bear the responsibility.

Would you never shop at the Trafford Centre (or other large shopping complex) again because the shoes you bought from one of the shops within were not up to standard, I don't think so, but that is the same situation of an airport with an airline.

As far as the shops go,,,,, I've bought what I need before I go, an airport is nothing more than a glorified bus station..... It's a means to an end.

No such thing as a bad airport in my opinion, if i'm going on my hols I don't mind a bit of inconvienience.
Has anyone any thoughts of thier experiance of Varadero Airport? I'm travelling there in March and just wondered if anyone had any experiance of this cuban airport.
I can't vouch for Varadero International as I'll be passing through for the first time in March as well. I passed through Holguin Airport in March 2004 and that was excellent, very efficient although it is tiny compared to somewhere like Varadero. A bit like comparing Manchester to Blackpool! If Varadero is anything like Holguin, then everything should be fine.

Darren
Worst by a long way Acapulco, how a major tourist resort can have such a dump is incredible, few shops, to few seats and no announcements at all just a person meandering around with a board which may or may not be visible.

Best for departures Barcelona I've never seen such an array of shops, also like my local Birmingham, the long stay car park 1 is so close to the terminal I usually walk to it, takes less than 10 mins.
Ooh no, Puerto Plata is on someone's list as a bad airport! Can anyone tell me why :-( I'm getting worried now! Is it as bad as cayo coco?

I only go from Manchester or Liverpool, I guess Manchester is OK!
Domski wrote:

Any delays are the responsibility of Airlines, NOT Airports, I have hearld lots of people saying things like 'I'll never fly from here again cos they took so long to deliver my bags or I had a xx hour delay'. The people who they are travelling with bear the responsibility.

In most cases this statement is not true. The airline do not decide when they will take off, its the control tower. If groundcrew are slow/delayed in loading the aircraft for any reason and the plane misses its slot then it could be another one is not available for an hour...etc.

We flew with FC in June and due to a baggage handlers mistake we missed our slot (A few bags put on plane that we actually for another flight) Gatwick did not allow our flight take off for another hour. Certainly not the airlines fault in this case!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.