Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
My favorite airport is Changi Singapore.Worst by a mile Bourgas Bulgaria.
Worst airport to me because of the fact that customs went through every suitcase & bag on the way IN was Cancun. :shock:

best airport is Leeds and Bradford
It's only 10 minutes away from my house, Check in is quick & easy. :lol:

I do like Alicante airport. it's cool and spacious.
Yes Changi's good ...nearly missed my flight there I got so engrossed in the shops.
I hav nt experienced loads of airports but my worst out of the few i ve been in has to be Reus (costa dorada) it is tiny and very hectic if you land/depart when there are a few flights together, There is only about 6 or 7 check in desks, there is only one shop (tiny one) and a cafe which you have to walk through to get on to the tarmac !, the departure waiting area is tiny and cramped i swear i have seen bigger doctors waiting rooms. My second worst would be Dalaman for the amount of times you have to hump your cases up and down to be scanned, checked etc.. and also for the extortionate prices the shops in the airport charge for drinks and snacks.
Can I put in a bid for Basel/Mulhouse as best airport - your luggage gets to the baggage carrousel before you do, and a tie for Stansted and Marrakesh for worse.

Stansted because of the late baggage delivery (you could almost have flown back to your destination before the baggage arrives at reclaim), and the hellishly long walk from the terminal to Ryanair gates 40-59!!!

Marrakesh airport has the slowest, craziest, understaffed and undersized check in area, and the wandering off to your plane unsupervised over the tarmac makes a laugh of any so-called security measures ... you could walk under the wing (perish the thought EZY and FR!) or onto any plane you like the look of en route!
Well the airport at Larnaca, Cyprus left a lot to be desired, organised chaos is what I'd call it. Palma airport is huge and we seemed to have to walk miles to go and retrieve the cases. Notice Heraklion is up for one of the worst, going there this year :? and also Dalaman, doing that next year :shock: Oh well, such is life :lol:

Shell :D
East Midlands..because it's only 10 miles down the road for us and the destinations list keeps getting longer...didn't think much to Naples airport, had heard the arrivals get sorted out in what looks like a massive aircraft hanger and do you know what?! :roll: you do and I think the building IS an aircraft hanger..quite bizarre!! :)
Dont worry shell, Dalaman is not too bad, it was just my mini moan. The suitcase thing cant be helped you have to do it, but as for the refreshments at the airport i am not joking, take your own drinks and snacks from the resort before you leave it cost £13 for 2 burgers,2chips and a drink from burgerking there and £5 for 3 brews.
Dont like Exeter at all :roll: I just cannot believe how small it is, especially the runway :?
one bad thing i will say about dalaman is the prices they charge for a coffee!!
East Midlands is lovely, 15-20 mins drive away and the food is expensive but really nice.

Birmingham was awful, the food was worse than a school dinner, and there were virtual riots trying to get into the loos (this being 6am on a sunday morning :s)

Arrecife is comfortable enough, not amazing but it does

Palma is lovely but huge and scary and my nan got into a row with an annoying posh man who tried to push me out of the queue for the bags, and shes only 4'11 bless

Mahon is comfortable but the toilets are pretty bad, if you're the guy who went infront of me in 2002, I hope you've added more fibre to your diet :shock:

My favourite however has to be Fuerteventura, it's really tiny, on the seafront, the toilets have those sensor thingies in where as u walk into a cubicle the light comes on and automatic taps..... amazing (Yes im easily pleased) plus we were delayed on our flight out so we went & sat outside in the departures area & It was beautiful and really relaxing (Im a nervous flyer anyway)
I also like Leeds Bradford, probablly because is's quite close and so far my experience there has been good. Zakynthos (Zante) as previously mentioned leaves much to be desired, probably the annoying thing is that the problems at Zakynthos could so easily be put right with very little cost and effort. When will the Tour Operators who take thousands of people there every year take some action to improve the airport?
I have 3 favourite ones:

Manchester: Great layout, shops and excellent viewing facilities, especially T1 departure lounge.

Holguin, Cuba: Nice compact airport, never busy, quite efficient and excellent outdoor viewing terrace.

La Romana, Dominican Republic. Nice and compact, excellent VIP louge, great viewing from the VIP lounge.

Worst:

Dalaman, Turkey. Pain getting in, always crouded, no viewing facilities and expensive.

Heathrow. Too big and congested

Montego Bay, Jamaica. MYT always get gate 13, its a very long walk when you have an 8kg scuba camera with you!

Darren
In Los Angeles it's Bob Hope Airport.
Formerly, called Lockheed, formerly called Burbank, Formerly called Hollywood Glendale Burbank.

It's an airport for those who are on the ball and are travel savvy.

Also it has a Metrolink rail station a short walk away.
Thanks for the tip on Dalaman being expensive, will take my own supplies :D We bought a couple of bottles of flavoured water in Larnaca airport on return and they were ridiculously overpriced, I do try to avoid spending in airports if I can :?

Shell :D
Prettiest/best airport? Thailands... Koh Samui - grass thatched - mini busses and light aircraft have painted palm trees and flowers all over them. Phuket also a dream to fly from....and for organisation Bangkok.

Dalaman ..Turkey..not too bad ...just the queue on departure when ALL the coaches arrive together. Its the getting into the country that can be a pain. Remember to rush and get on the queue to pay for your visa's on arrival into the country BEFORE you queue up for passport control. You could stand there for ages then get sent back to the Visa section to start queueing all over again!

Most frustrating? Has to be Dabolim airport - Goa India. The queue here once you arrive can go up two flights of stairs ...back out onto the runway to the steps of your plane! Just make sure you've changed into something cool before you land (cool as in as little as decently possible bearing in mind you are in India...not 'cool'! :lol: ) and have some water with you....then...just go with the flow and take it as part of their way of life!! Laid back and slow! Be prepared to walk 5 paces ..be asked for your passport again...stamped...and then another 5 paces for the same procedure ... again........AND again!!! Then the rush for your luggage because as it comes in on the carousel the porters think they are helping by just dragging it all off and piling it in a great big heap for you to wade through!! MMM now I know why I keep going back again and again to India!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The worse airport I have been to is Jakarta :shock: (but that was 20 years ago)
And the best is Osaka. So amazingly clean
Dazbo5 mentioned Heathrow...yeah too congested. Everything in the airport seems to be a retail outlet... a lot of the quiet areas seem to have gone - obviously not generating revenue.

But what really gets me is that we Brits live in a country that is often cold wet and windy...so what do we do.. we put the airport car park bus pick up points out in the open with inadequate shelter...serve the customer right for having come from somewhere nice and warm for his winter holidays.
hi
my departure airport of choice is Luton campact and seem efficient (and local) second choice Gatwick heathrow too buissy and noisey stanstead although close too difficult to get to by public transport

least favorits palmer G.C. and magaluf ithink its called. never had ant probs at Lanaca or Pafos

brian
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.