Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
The marina is not far from the main centre in Albufeira, u can walk it, if you dont mind hills, i think there is a bus service that runs there, or you can get a taxi, not too much going on at the Marina yet, there is a restaurant open and a shop but they do tend to have entertainment and activities going on.
im looking forward to seeing it now its open. the one drawback we found when you walked, was dodging the odd crazy dog from the residences you have to pass.
Sounds fun!!!
How long does it take to walk into the centre? We are actually taking a baby with us so presume with it being hilly could be a bit tricky with a pushchair. How close to decent bars, restaurants etc??
Appreciate your help.
i would say you are probably looking at 20/25 minute walk, with a pushchair it will be hard going on the hills. A Taxi will only be about 4 euros back, so you could have a stroll in and perhaps get a taxi back.
Restaurants are all over once you hit the town, pick up a free map available in many shops and bars and it will give you a guide around the town.
Mixter Ive never been down to the Marina either since it was opened, watched it being built over the year or so, seen the multi coloured buildings from the road above looks a bit like toy town to me. Possible it will take a few years to completely fill all the units, was the same with Vilamoura, But vilamoura is now a smart place, hopefully Albufeira will be the same. Anyone wanting further info on Alburfeira Marina visit http://www.amarinadealbufeira.com Regards Jayjan
Hi Michelle,

When are you going? We've just come back and I reckon it would take about 25 minutes to walk to the Old Town from the Marina now, but it looks as though they are building a new promenade between the two places and it will be a lovely walk when it is finished. I think there will still be quite a climb up and down again, but it will be easier with pushchairs.

There's quite a lot open now at the Marina (although there are a lot of shop units still unoccupied). Most of the ones on the waterfront are restaurants, and there is a Mexican just further along from the end of the Marina called El Panchito which we went to for a second time last week. Very nice. The Italian restaurant has also been recommended to us. Also, there is a fish shop where you can buy excellent fish/shellfish for takeaways and self catering. If you're feeling like treating yourself, there's a good restaurant called Castelo do Bispo just on the hill towards the Old Town which has been recommended to us though we've not yet tried it.

There was a massive dome with a circus (trapeze, I think) in it when we were there, so they are obviously attracting such entertainments. There are many boat trips, including speedboats, which you can go on. There's also a 5-a-side football pitch which visitors can use. And an art gallery, open air art exhibitions, etc., and loads of nice boats to watch.

All very new and a bit under-occupied, but nevertheless you'll be fine there if you don't feeling like going into the Old Town every evening.
Hope you have a great time!
having been to vale de parra for the last 15 years we have noticed a lot of development. and the marina (lego land) is the latest. we visited it 2 weeks ago and like the statement before it is very under occupied, there is a bus service and plenty of taxis so not a problem to get to the old town.
I went to the Marina from September the 15th-22nd in 2005, there wasnt much open but it looked a real nice place, were returning in a few days so could anyone update me on how it is looking down there at the moment? how many shops are open etc, cheers
hi we were at the marina in the last week still looks very much underoccupied, would say about 3 or 4 cafes/restaurants open but no shops, as a new visitor to albufeira would say a lot to do with it is there are no signs in the old town pointing to the marina and as far as i could discover no public transport, in other words if you dont know its there you probably wouldnt find it.
That's a good point, Stevie53. They've improved the walk round the cliff to the Marina, with new raised walkways to give better views over the old harbour, and it would take about 15-20 minutes from the Rocamar depending on how quickly you were walking.

We were there last week too. Went to Nosolo Italia as usual, but noticed there's a new sushi bar open (I assume, as there's a menu in the window!). If anyone tries it please post a review.
We also walked down there recently and had lunch in one of the 2 restaurants that were open at the time. As, has been said not really much there. It's clean (obviously :lol: ) and they had ornamental dolphins looking as though they were diving from the boardwalk into the marina. Lots of various sized fish swimming near the boardwalk. There's stereo music coming out of green plastic - look like upside down buckets - along the boardwalk as well.

My friend has also just booked a villa up behind the new marina - apparently new for this year, but she isn't staying there until September. They are however going to Albufeira in May and are going to pop over and take a look so will let you know what they think when they get back.

There was a bus showing on the timetable in Old town bus station for the marina but not sure if this bus comes in from Albufeira or not.
I went to the marina aug 2007 not much there not, worth the visit. it's about 25 mins to old town or 1 euro on the bus which runs every 30 mins or so!!!
Yes i was very dissapointed when visiting the Marina in September 07. We went in September 05 and not alot had been going on, one or 2 bars and that was it, the same as before, could be good, possibly with the new hotel opening it may be better?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.