Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Now ive seen on many other websites, trip advisor, etc, that the majority if not all of Turkish hotels cater mainly for Turkish people with food that they serve at meal times.

Definately not in our experience .

It does of course depend on what you have paid for your A/I as I would never recommend going cheap unless you are preperred to accept you have a bargain and whatever you get is a bonus. There have been many A/s spring up over the last year or 2 where hotels that have always been B+B have decided he jump on the bandwagon. A lot need to learn what we expect from our A/Is.

We have always found turkish A/I to be some of the best in Europe. You will get turkish specialities alongside more international style.

typically at breakfast should be . -Cereals,a good selection of breads/pastries jams and honey , a selection of yogurts (Jams, honey and yogs normally come in huge bowls and you laddle out what you want into small dishes or bowls . cheeses , tomato, cucumber , olives. Fresh fruit sald, dried fruits . I love a bowl of musli, topped with natural yog and honey with some sultanas and dried appricots thrown in for good measure .

An egg station where the chef will do you eggs or omelettes with fillings if you want and pancakes . maple/chocolate sauce

some hot dishes but normally limited to boiled and scrambled eggs , Franfurter style sausages (remember this is a muslim country ), Baked beans (Not heinz) Tomato halves topped with cheese , Fried potatoes (often with onion).

Lunch and dinner buffet are often similar . Usually a soup or 2 . A good selection of salad with various dressings and cold dishes which the turkish always do well , pitta/pide type breads again all typically Turkish (to die for) often with fillings , toppings etc. A couple at least of potato options , 3/4 main meat dishes and a couple of vegetarian options .Meat dishes range from plain BBQed usually turkey ,beef and fish (remember no pork) and those done in a sauce , a couple of pasta options (spag bol etc)

Always a good selection of sickly puddings and fruit options.

Theres probably loads I've missed . Most decent A/i s have live cooking stations as well as snack bar options. The better will have a lot more than I've listed and the poorer will no doubt have a lot less but I've yet to experience one of those .

Turkish cooking is the best and always has lots of colour with lots of fresh salads and veg .

lyn
Thanks very much Lyn

I now know a lot more of what to expect.
Certainly looking forward to a fantastic first visit to Turkey now :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.