General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
anti pollution brigade are blaming us smokers for global warming

i don't see that much of an argument [even if you believe in GW] as ciggis are basically carbon neutral being if plant matirial

on the subject of passengers causing delays we have been delayed 4 times in 6 yrs each and every time it was people who stayed in the bar for another glass of dutch courage before the flight,

so do we ask for a drinking ban once past check in

Brian
Since it is now believed that drinking is even more harmful than smoking, The government will shortly be banning drinking in pubs, clubs and restaurants.

Excuse me while I go and pour another glass
I'm not a smoker but my husband is quite a heavy one so I was a bit concerned, especially with a 9.5 hour flight. He used the patches and was to my suprise fine. He knew he couldn't smoke so was in the right frame of mind so even with a 3 hour delay on top of that he surrvived so I would go for the patches.
Luckily for me my first 14 days or so of the ban here in the UK were spent in Cyprus..........No problems there from a smoking point of view.

However I've just returned from a weekend away in a major UK city and I now know what all the non-smokers are tutting and complaining about having experienced it first hand on several occasions. Because we now all have to stand in the street/patio/garden area of pubs and clubs to smoke I lost count of the pitying looks and tutting from non smokers whilst passing by either going in or out of the pub or just those walking past :roll:

I felt like a leper for the whole weekend :cry:
I felt like a leper for the whole weekend

Well we have formed the Rowley Hill Lepers Male Voice Choir - but we do welcome ladies.

As I said before the non smokers have got what they want. I suggest that they leave it at that. They will only create problems for themselves.

Perhaps the next time you should comment on their perfume - do you use it because you have BO? might just be a suitable question to them.

Could be that they now have withdrawal symptoms and they do not like to admit it.

Life is far to short to bother about them.

As long as where you are when smoking is within the law ignore them. Do not let it bother you.

Console yourself with this thought.

They really are sad people if all they can do is complain about your smoking. Can't have much of a life.

fwh
fhw.
Have you ever thougt that us nonsmokers have had enough of secondary smoke I have never smoked in my 62yrs on this planet but have had to put up with secondary smoke in pubs and clubs and areoplanes WHY should I or should I stay at home because I dont smoke.
Good idea :) All the non smokers stay at home then the smoking ban can be lifted and us smokers can smoke where we want, problem solved :lol:
My partner gave up smoking about 2 months ago now. He had the help of the new Champix tablets from the doctor. They helped to take the cravings away, and he hasn't had a ciggie at all now since he gave up. If he gets angry for no reason, I just tell him to take up knitting, just to do something different with his hands. His repsonse is too crude to mention!! :shock: I'm very proud of him, and we're going to Cancun in 4 weeks time so he won't have any cravings for a fag, and he stopped using the Nicorrette Inhaler too - he doesn't reply on anything now. He's got his appetite back now, has put on a stone in weight, but that's easier to sort out than giving up smoking. Well dont to my other half!
jules
i didnt work for me about 18 yrs ago i gave up for 5 years and put on 2 stone, even with a tight diet i never lost it, and when i started smoking again i still didn't loose it, so i will go one way or the other death by fags or death by food it will end the same either way

wizard
Going a bit off topic here but, where are all the people who said the reason they did not frequent pubs and clubs because of the smoking?

Very much noticeable by their absence. They did not come before and I doubt many will come now even though they have got what they want - for now.

I have a policy of live and let live. Don't offend me and I will try not to offend you.

fwh
JackieUk/Tenerife,
Yes and pay treble for your holiday,no lets be correct you should pay treble now.Here in Doha NO cigs are allowed to be sold near schools and total ban in ANY public place,fine if caught 5000QR, 680quid at todays rate. I could never understand why people took up smoking in the first place.
Please peeps let's not forget smoking is an addiction plain and simple and whilst I feel for non smokers and I like to consider myself a considerate smoker i.e. I would NEVER light up in a restaurant where people were eating or smoke in the company of mainly non smokers whether here or abroad, it is an addiction at the end of the day and whilst not seeking sympathy as it was my choice to start......well with a little help from advertising and peer pressure :roll:

I wont give up until I'm personally ready to if at all and the ban has just reinforced this for me as I wont be dictated to by my government. I wonder where all the tax is going to come from when everybody gives up and the tobacco sales drop :?: No doubt as my non smoking friends say "the strain on NHS resources will be less due to the lack of smokers" I have to disagree as I think the tax more than pays for those treated who do smoke, and let's not even go to the whole alcohol and the NHS issue :roll:

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I personally rarely drink alcohol but I don't condem the millions who do on a regular basis as it's personal choice......Oh and before someone mentions it please don't do the whole joke on secondary smoke versus the secondary affect of the loo for drinkers.....I've heard a thousand times before :lol:

As a final note, during my weekend away it was highly apparent despite the inclement weather that the inside of the bars I was in on both Friday and Saturday night were exceptionally quiet whilst the outside smoking areas were ram packed with both smokers and non smokers and that was clearly apparent in 90% of the bars we visited......figure that one out :wink:
Qatarman
Stop whinging, :lol: nobody has smoked on a plane for around 17 years and incidents of "air rage" are more likely to be alcohol related than nicotine withdrawal.

You think you are healthier on a plane,? well when smoking was allowed, the air was circulated ten times per hour, now the air is circulated three times an hour...which saves fuel but gives everybody the chance to breathe in every obnoxious body odour, perfume and a cocktail of virus's.

Smokers can accept for safety reasons and being in a confined space the need to ban in a plane.....we just got on with it.
You're more addicted to the cause than smokers are to the weed, :lol: but I guess when you are leaving your carbon footprint in the air miles you clock up and driving away in the 4x4 spewing out pollutants, it doesn't matter.?

I personally detest having to smell a fat, beer stinking indivdual and the sooner alcohol is banned from being sold in airports....the better.
and to get back on topic....
Just for the record, in the past, the only people who have held up a plane are the drinkers, but did we smokers complain.?
Urmmm...what goes around, comes around. :wink:

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiii
This year our flight was held up due to two reasons, - 1) only four check in desks open that were checking in 5 different flights, and secondly, - morons trying to take through liquids etc, even though it is well publicised what you can and can't take through.
To try and blame smokers is a typical blinkered and bigotted view of non-smokers who think they can dictate to people what they are allowed to do.
Suggest you get a life!
could we leave the personal comments out please.
Lets remind ourselves what the original question is

because of the smoking ban are smokers having their last fags right up to the final checking in time or are they just checking in as normal and grinning and bearing it?

This isn't the forum for a debate on whether people should smoke or not.
Sanj,
Love to get on your high horse dont you, if people dont agree with the head I am not playing. I have my opinion and for 60yrs put up with people who have the disgusting habit of smoking and blowing it everywhere even when people were eating they would light up,and for my 60+ years accepted it didnt like it but there was no law against it now there is who are the biggest moaners people like you who want me to accept your disgusting habit,I put up with it I dont have to accept it.
As for my 4x4 the reason I have 2 yes 2 is I dont smoke and they dont give out anymore pollutants than your car, or maybe you walk to save giving out pollutants,you sure blow hot air.
Seems you dont like alcohol well I dont have that problem here in the Middle East.
until Mark ,the mod for this forum, comes online this topic is now locked. Please do not start a new thread to continue the debate in the meantime.
It is best this topic stays locked and that any such further discussions are best discussed elsewhere on the internet.

The smoking / non-smoking debate rears it head here on HT once every while, and each and every time such topics had to be locked due to emotions running a little high.

I'm off for a cigarette now.

Mark :D
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.