Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
I've never had a problem in winter, infact the Spanish Mozzies don't seem to like me at all but oh God the Greek ones love me to bits I have tried it all in Greece, the garlic tablets, sprays, plug ins, the lot and none of them work. It's strange really, perhaps there are different types that are attracted to different people (well it's just a thought) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think that you will be fine.

Sue :) :)
Hi Taggy, we were in a bar on the beach a few times, and there were some sort of creatures crawling over the walls, and someone said they were mozzies, i have never actually seen any on my travels even in the summer months, so dont know if they were mozzies or not, they were quite large if this is any help to you.

Lizzie.
If anyone is going to get bitten, then trust me when I say, it WILL be me....I have sweet blood and plenty of luscious meat on me. :cry: :rofl
Whenever I have gone to Spain in the winter months I have never been bitten, infact I don`t even think about them now, and didn`t bother taking my "plug in" contraption this time. :wink:
Summer is a totally different story.!!!!!!
Only the female bites you...she needs the protein found in animal and human blood to produce her eggs.
I did get a bite on my foot, but this was definately from a sand fly...the little blighters. :evil: and didn`t cause any problem apart from a bit of itching for a short while...now a mozzie bite would be a pain in the rear for days and days. :evil:
I think they are there, but the humidity plays an important part in their presence.
Another factor may be, that is too cold to walk around without some clothing covering your skin, so that cuts the opportunity of a meal for a female down. :rofl

besos xxx
SanJi
It would have to be the Female that bites Sanji would'nt it!! :lol: I'll not bother taking my plug in then...yet more valuable space for fags for the "Human Chimney"! :D ...A Female of course! :roll: :....errr to all the lovely ladies out there I'm only jesting of course!! :lol: (Wimp eh?) :lol: Well it may just give me time to get my armour on! :wink:
I've never been in winter so I can't speak from experience but I've been told by a local that it can actually be worse. He said they drain a lot of the swimming pools and they breed in the puddle of rainwater that builds up in the bottom. Presumably a bottle of bleach would see them off so it's just laziness by the pool owners. I think it would only be a problem if your room was right over such a pool. In my experience most bites I've had in summer have been when sat outside in shorts in the evening and that just won't happen in winter.
I have only ever been to Beni during the winter months and have never seen a mozzie.If they were there I am sure they would have found me as I am like a magnet to them!.
Hi Taggy

My husband always gets attacked by them and comes out in big swollen lumps. He has never been bitten in the winter in Benidorm.

Liz
Hi all,
Try eating marmite on your toast everyday for a month or two before you visit the hot places which are famous for the mossies.
Our daughter's two girls have been brought up on the stuff, but to me it is yuk.
Last summer they went to Turkey for two weeks. Everybody got bit, except for the two girls. So there must be some truth in it.
I dunno which is worse mind, eating marmite everyday or being bit?
I love Marmite...mind you I love Honey on toast too...I can feel an unusual combo coming along now !!! :lol:
I love Marmite...mind you I love Honey on toast too...I can feel an unusual combo coming along now !!!
Taggy
There`s no wonder you are the size you are :rofl

I`d eat marmite anytime, rather than scratching my skin till it bleeds from a mozzie bite....and I don`t like Marmite. :wink:

Not long now Taggy.......lucky sod.!!! :evil: :D :wink:

besos xxx
Sanji
Damn there's a spy in the camp...I thought I spotted someone looking through the shrubbery whilst I was having breakie this morn! :lol: Sanji you are taking this detective work too seriously! :rofl Yep i'm ready for the off, not quite packed yet...err but then again you'd know that Sanji would'nt you! :lol: So bring on the Mozzies, I'm staying at Regente anyway, they probably dar'nt stay there!!! (Only Joking Regente Fans)! :D - Take Care. - Taggy.
If your 'smoking chimney'is prone to bites I would take the plug in contraption Taggy. The little pests are still around in winter, not as many and definitely dozier but still lurking in corners.
That`s ok Wynn then. cos Taggy has been known to lurk in corners ....they`ll bite him first :rofl

Sorry, gonna get my wrists slapped. :oops: :wink:
I'm afraid i have to agree, The Mozzies wont be the only little pests in Benidorm over the next few days!! :wink: Probably a good idea to take my plug in anyway, it would probably go down as a mercy killing for the little blighters, rather than subject them to Mrs Fumar!! :lol:

PS....Yes Sanji, It is a fact that I have been banished to the "Naughty Corner" on several occasions.....I was innocent on Every Count!! (You can Trust Me, I support Blackburn Rovers)! :roll:
I've been holidaying in Benidorm for a number of years now, and I have to say I never knew that there were mosquitos in Benidorm. I know there are often ant and cockroach infestations, especially in the summer, and the ants do tend to come out after a heavy rainful, but I have never come across mosquitos.

I'm very susceptible to mosquito bites and now I shall make sure I always pack a plug in from now on. Can't say I've seen many of the shops and supermarkets selling Mosquito Plug Ins, is it really that bad for mossies in Benidorm?
Me & my Husband were bitten quite a lot when we were in benidorm over the new year. We didnt take our mossie stuff as we thought they wouldn't like winter months, but how wrong we were, so I suggest you take plugins etc as we were bitten mostly in our room, they came in when the balcony door was opened .
I was immune to mosquitoes until last June in Benidorm. Now, is it my age or is it Benidorm? All I know is that they suddenly find me attractive. I have just returned from a March visit, and they got me. Any tips please? I get very unnatractive and extrememly irritable water blisters, which start weeping more than I do. Sorry if that put you off your supper. :wink:
Dorm, we have an extremely long topic dedicated to mozzie's, packed with hints and tips Click Here for MOSQUITOES advice, mozzie bite remedies, Q&As
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.